cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which State Has the Best Drivers?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area and I must admit that we have the most inconsiderate and incapable drivers that I am aware of. I have been to every state in the east and I can say, without a doubt, that Pennsylvania has the most considerate and capable drivers of anywhere I have traveled. When I head out of town I just can't wait to cross the Maryland border into Pennsylvania -- the difference in drivers is noticeable, almost immediately.

Is there a state that you have visited where you can, generally, say the drivers are more considerate and better than most?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
75 REPLIES 75

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Germany:
Well trained, courteous, disciplined, and no left lane bandits on the autobahn.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
California has the most skilled drivers.

It takes talent to text with one hand, sip a super large soda, keep your joint lit, and reload all while driving 85 mph on the interstate.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surprised Delaware made near the top of the list. Must be all of those NJ & PA drivers who infiltrate the northern part of the state on 95 giving the whole state a bad rap. South of the C&D canal, Dover & down, they seem pretty good.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
...I'm finding Florida to be a dream to drive around in!

No one blows the horn here the nano second a red light turns to green if you haven't started moving. There just doesn't seem to be the rage driving or impatience down here like I lived and breathed with driving in Chicago.

Anytime you hear someone blowing the horn at you, you can make bet they are from out of state!
There's a very good reason that most of us Floridians won't blow the horn. It's called road rage. We understand very well how many of our fellow motorists carry weapons and traditionally have been apt to use them.

x2:B
I am finding out more and more about just how many carry here and have them in their homes.

It DOES change the way things happen or do NOT happen because of the knowledge that many do.

This is very new to me coming from an area that you are not allowed to but I am starting to 'really' like the fact that I moved here.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:

It just drives me crazy when some people scapegoat guns and properly prepared citizens as a political agenda.

Not saying that was your intention, gotta stay diligent or our kids won't have the freedom to camp, rv, or much of anything else ๐Ÿ˜‰
I see where you are coming from. It never occurred to me to make a comment on right to carry or anything like that. I was just pointing out that the fact that the guy in front of you may be armed should give you pause before blaring your horn at him or her. For the record, I have a concealed weapons permit so I'm not definitely not making any political points with my comment.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Nova Scotia is a province not a state, but they have the most considerate drivers. Boston (a city) drivers suck and are very aggressive. As far as states...depends on where you are in each state.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

No one blows the horn here the nano second a red light turns to green if you haven't started moving. There just doesn't seem to be the rage driving or impatience down here like I lived and breathed with driving in Chicago.

Anytime you hear someone blowing the horn at you, you can make bet they are from out of state!
There's a very good reason that most of us Floridians won't blow the horn. It's called road rage. We understand very well how many of our fellow motorists carry weapons and traditionally have been apt to use them.

People really shoot at you if you beep your horn?

Sounds more like a political fantasy than reality.

Maybe you are right, but then again, maybe you aren't as familiar with South Florida drivers as I am. Florida is a legendary road rage state: http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=19385

Yes, the odds of getting shot are very very small, but reports of motorists getting shot do make an impression on us.

You're probably right about spending time in Southern FL. I have family in middle FL, visit south.

It just drives me crazy when some people scapegoat guns and properly prepared citizens as a political agenda.

Not saying that was your intention, gotta stay diligent or our kids won't have the freedom to camp, rv, or much of anything else ๐Ÿ˜‰

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Maybe you are right, but then again, maybe you aren't as familiar with South Florida drivers as I am. Florida is a legendary road rage state: http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=19385

Yes, the odds of getting shot are very very small, but reports of motorists getting shot do make an impression on us.
`

paulm999
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
Hawaii has the most considerate drivers of anywhere i have been.

X2. But it is only because they don't have to deal with drivers from other states. ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually, Alaska has the best drivers. You gotta be good to drive in snow 9 months of the year.

I've driven 1000s of miles on all Islands since the 70s and have never encountered the road rage, reckless driving, reckless endangerment, and apathetic law enforcement, that I experience daily in SoCal. Hawaii actually has speed limit signage relative to safety, and 90% of kamaainas and tourists obey the limits. BTW, at any given time, depending on which Island, 5-10% of drivers on the roads are from out of state.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
I belive Texas has the friendliest drivers but the best i think are in Oklahoma

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

`

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
For over 50 years my wife and I have traveled regularly in all of the states West of the Midwest. I cannot speak about East states. I have noticed over the years that different places have changed as have the drivers in different states and especially cities.

We live in Colorado and have noticed that as our State population has more than tripled since we came here, the drivers have changed. The further we get away from Denver, the better are the drivers We liver almost 200 miles from Denver). In fact we have learned to never drive West of Denver on weekends in the late Fall and Winter on I-70.

Although this may be against others, over the years, and considering the density of traffic, I would have to say that for heavy traffic areas, Southern California has the best drivers. By Contrast, for heavy traffic areas, especially Seattle and Portland, Or, have the consistently worst drivers in our observations over the years, except for I-70 West of Denver, CO in the Winter.

For lower traffic areas, I have to pick most of Wyoming, Colorado away from the Front Range, Utah, Nebraska and Kansas as generally good drivers. Texas is just average, as is New Mexico and Montana.

Others may have other opinions that I respect. The above is my impression having driven all of these areas year around since 1958.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Sluggo54 wrote:
"The only thing I don't understand here is when you are turning left on a light they stay behind the line waiting instead of moving into the intersection so a couple cars 'can' turn left when the light turns."

That is a puzzlement in north Colorado, too.
I kind of enjoy aggravating people by letting semis in, or folks out of parking spaces. In truth, drivers are pretty mellow and laid back around here. Only real complaint is the state motto should be changed to, "Colorado, where the speed limit is never quite enough".

I think that is actually part of the "rules of the road" for many states, in New York that is called "blocking the box" of an intersection (I think, but not positive). Technically, you are not supposed to go into an intersection until you have room to drive through it. But... I think I remember reading in Connecticut's driver's ed booklet (two teenagers of mine went through that not too long ago) that it is okay to try to give people behind you room to get by - without blocking the road, though.

I know what you mean, though... Especially I wish the person turning left in front of me moves forward a bit so cars behind can get around to go straight. Then you get the folks that don't understand what I am doing, when I move forward a bit while waiting to turn left -- they just sit behind me, when there is room to go around.

I've usually considered Connecticut drivers to be direct, as opposed to rude. They usually(!) will not drive crazy, but be ready for quick lane changes if there is room - and they may let you do a lane change, but again, be quick about it!

Pulling out into the intersection to make a left turn is legal everywhere. It is called "isolating the intersection." This is not "blocking the box." You would be blocking the box if you pulled over the line with the intention of going forward behind vehicles preventing you from clearing the intersection once the light changes. Once you have pulled into the intersection to make a left turn, isolating the intersection, you then have right-of-way once the signals change. You can then make the left turn unless somebody else has blocked the box.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Sluggo54 wrote:
"The only thing I don't understand here is when you are turning left on a light they stay behind the line waiting instead of moving into the intersection so a couple cars 'can' turn left when the light turns."

That is a puzzlement in north Colorado, too.
I kind of enjoy aggravating people by letting semis in, or folks out of parking spaces. In truth, drivers are pretty mellow and laid back around here. Only real complaint is the state motto should be changed to, "Colorado, where the speed limit is never quite enough".

I think that is actually part of the "rules of the road" for many states, in New York that is called "blocking the box" of an intersection (I think, but not positive). Technically, you are not supposed to go into an intersection until you have room to drive through it. But... I think I remember reading in Connecticut's driver's ed booklet (two teenagers of mine went through that not too long ago) that it is okay to try to give people behind you room to get by - without blocking the road, though.

I know what you mean, though... Especially I wish the person turning left in front of me moves forward a bit so cars behind can get around to go straight. Then you get the folks that don't understand what I am doing, when I move forward a bit while waiting to turn left -- they just sit behind me, when there is room to go around.

I've usually considered Connecticut drivers to be direct, as opposed to rude. They usually(!) will not drive crazy, but be ready for quick lane changes if there is room - and they may let you do a lane change, but again, be quick about it!