cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose Responsible?

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dropped my RV off at the repair facility for work. While it was at their facility, rodents chewed through the wiring for the brakes and battery. I thought that since it happened while they had custody, they would be responsible for paying for the repairs. They've agreed to knock $100 of the repair bill, leaving me with the balance of $400. I realize that it's hard to prevent this kind of thing, but I figured they would pay for it. I've dropped over $4000 at their place over the last year.
38 REPLIES 38

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. I just wanted some feedback on whether I was being unreasonable to expect them to pay for the damage. I can see their point. My point is that the damage occurred while the rig was in their custody. I understand that it's hard to take precautions to prevent this kind of thing for all 100 RVs they have on their lot.

I don't intend to hire a lawyer or sue. $400 isn't worth the hassle. I will consider taking the rig elsewhere the next time it needs work, though.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich F wrote:
After reading the
other thread
it seems to me that the OP already had a rat problem. Seems a stretch to expect the shop to do any more than what they have done ($100 off the current bill).
The rats could be living in his RV, and just went out for a snack. :E
Put some baited traps in your RV.

The previous rat problem occurred 10 years ago in a different town.

It seems to me that I would have noticed rodent damage before I took the rig into the shop if it was a problem at my house.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was the rv inside a building or outside when the damage was done? How would you stop outside rodents?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the
other thread
it seems to me that the OP already had a rat problem. Seems a stretch to expect the shop to do any more than what they have done ($100 off the current bill).
The rats could be living in his RV, and just went out for a snack. :E
Put some baited traps in your RV.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a commercial insurance agent. They should have insurance that covers your trailer when it is under their "care, custody, and control".

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV
Second: You really need to contact someone who knows the law in your state.

Finally: As I understand it... Those "Management is not responsible" signs, are not worth the surface they are printed on.... But you need a lawyer to explain it to you and to them.. And I'm not a lawyer.

Now How to choose a lawyer (yes this is a joke)
Open Yellow pages to the proper section. Turn on TV and Radio, Pick up newspaper, Every time you read an ad, Or see or hear an ad, find the listing and cross it out.

Pick from the two remaining,.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
Absolutely absurd, if they acknowledged it happened under their watch then they should take care of it. I dont care if you spent $4.00 or $4000.00. Customer service should have an expected level of standards no matter what you did or didn't spend with them. I own a high level customer service based business myself and running your business like that will run your customers away one at a time until they cant make payroll. You take the good with the bad and at the end of the year you made what you made but at least then you can put your head down each night knowing you did the right thing.

This type of stuff makes me irate since I'm always bending over backwards for my business.

JMO...Ill step down now.

Ed

and the key word in your post is "if". We don't know that they acknowledged to the OP that a rat problem existed in the shop. They may have taken 100 bucks off the bill just because he HAS spent 4K in the shop w/i the recent past.

When correct customer service is applied the "if" falls on the supplier in my book.

"If" you bought a chicken at the local store and when you got home it smelled bad. When you took it back to the store would you expect them to replace it ..but what "if" you left it in the car. Thats how the store owner sees it..right?

You want the customer to return you take care of it. Its not like the guy claimed his paint faded in their garage and he wanted a new paint job.

If it raining outside and their lot is all muddy, they track mud in should they charge to clean it?

Ed
Please BUY AMERICAN MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
sammytoo wrote:
How do they know you didn't bring the rats in? Maybe you're responsible for their rat problem.

javascript:;
And do we even know it was from rats? Just curious.

***Never mind, the OP said rodents. The rat comment came after.

Actually, the OP said it was rats in the same post on 8/29/16.
Apparently it is unknown what did the chewing and damage..

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all know how easily mice can get in homes, garages, etc. Unless this shop has mice scampering around visibly and lots of evidence that they have a mice problem without seeing a lot of traps around, it's not the shop's fault.

Was your RV parked inside the whole time it was there? If parked outside, how many days? Outside - there's no way to control them.

Be happy you even got a $100 discount!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the article on Bailment someone please tell me why the shop is not responsible. Article
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Not everything bad that happens is someones fault
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
Do this person run a reputable brick and mortar establishment or is he/she fixing campers in the middle of the woods under a tree?

Kindest regards
Ed
Please BUY AMERICAN MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
mich800 wrote:
sammytoo wrote:
How do they know you didn't bring the rats in? Maybe you're responsible for their rat problem.

It was rodents of some type - rats, mice, squirrels. The wires under the front of the FW were chewed. A couple of them had the insulation chewed completely off and some wires were gone completely.

I know that the damage wasn't there when I dropped it off because all of the lights were working and I had brakes. Some of the wires that were chewed completely off went to the brakes. I would have gotten a brake warning on my controller if they weren't working.

I also did a walk around when I dropped off the FW so they could document the damage. There were no wires hanging down under the front of the RV at that time. When I went back to pick it up two weeks later, wires were hanging down three feet around the area of the pin.

OK based on this post it's on the repair shop to repair in total for my sight. I'm assuming the shop drew up an assessment report beforehand that outlined the condition of the RV that was signed off by both parties. Use that to make your case for the shop to swallow the cost of wire repair.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
Absolutely absurd, if they acknowledged it happened under their watch then they should take care of it. I dont care if you spent $4.00 or $4000.00. Customer service should have an expected level of standards no matter what you did or didn't spend with them. I own a high level customer service based business myself and running your business like that will run your customers away one at a time until they cant make payroll. You take the good with the bad and at the end of the year you made what you made but at least then you can put your head down each night knowing you did the right thing.

This type of stuff makes me irate since I'm always bending over backwards for my business.

JMO...Ill step down now.

Ed

and the key word in your post is "if". We don't know that they acknowledged to the OP that a rat problem existed in the shop. They may have taken 100 bucks off the bill just because he HAS spent 4K in the shop w/i the recent past.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
sammytoo wrote:

It was rodents of some type - rats, mice, squirrels. The wires under the front of the FW were chewed. A couple of them had the insulation chewed completely off and some wires were gone completely.

I know that the damage wasn't there when I dropped it off because all of the lights were working and I had brakes. Some of the wires that were chewed completely off went to the brakes. I would have gotten a brake warning on my controller if they weren't working.

I also did a walk around when I dropped off the FW so they could document the damage. There were no wires hanging down under the front of the RV at that time. When I went back to pick it up two weeks later, wires were hanging down three feet around the area of the pin.