cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter camping trip planned Nov-30 to Dec-2 Concerns

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
It is 18f out camper is winterized and going to get it ready for a quick jaunt to some hunting grounds on a boondock site. Generator, 1500w heater, full propane, good to go.

My biggest concerns. Snow or slop on roads, salt and the******sprayed on roads and unable to clean the camper till spring. Yeah I'm getting cold feet about using it but. Is the risk worth taking? You only live once, the opening day of PA Rifle. Booning with a campfire, waking at 4am, perking coffee and trekking 4 miles into state land. Yeah that's how I roll, just don't feel like destroying the unit.

No snow or salt has been applied to the roads yet, we had an extended early deep freeze hit us like the rest of the country. Monday it is supposed to be 60. Next weekend 45/30. I have seen balmy 60 or neg 15 blizzard conditions on opening day PA Rifle.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt
14 REPLIES 14

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
OOPPSSS,DON't forget your guns and shells.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Salt!!! a couple years ago, at a Texas campground I watched Michigan Camper put a lawn sprinkler on his site , turn it on, and drive back and forth over it. At First I couldn't figure it out then I saw the Michigan plate and it was December. He was rinsing off the underside .
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
mitch5252 wrote:
Might this work on the undercarriage? I talked to the President of the company last winter and she said to use it from one of those hand garden sprayers, which I did...

We used Salt Away for years to flush our outboard (dinghy), motors and it works very well. I would have to assume it would work well to get rid of the road salt build up.

:C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mitch,

There are at least two ways to protect the fridge. One is a kit from Norcold and the other is to restrict airflow adding a light bulb behind the exterior vent. Here is a great thread on winter camping with descriptions of each method:

Sticky on Winter Camping

mitch5252 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Be sure to protect the fridge from freezing up.

Well, dang, something else I never considered. If I'm using the fridge, what needs to be done?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Might this work on the undercarriage? I talked to the President of the company last winter and she said to use it from one of those hand garden sprayers, which I did...

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Well, dang, something else I never considered. If I'm using the fridge, what needs to be done?
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you hunt. I have cousins that live near Clearvile,Pa.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
is it friday yet? wrote:
My trailer frame is covered in rust on all the exposed areas after pulling it to Florida in the winter. Stupid salt.

Yeah, one trip, not washing and its a long winter.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer frame is covered in rust on all the exposed areas after pulling it to Florida in the winter. Stupid salt.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You bag something, you go back to camp, make dinner out of your rig, go to sleep warm and dry. You will never regret it.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
You should see the amount of prep it takes to hunt. Pack clothes for that temp spread, survival gear, food and water. Hike 4 miles into deep woods, no roads, and no cell service.

Get a deer at 4:30pm and its a 2 day recovery effort. I got a nice buck back there in 2003 at 4:50pm, full moon, 18 inches of snow on the ground. Stories, and tradition is what it is all about and reason for tossing a boondocking trip into the mix.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has bunkbeds in the back and tent deployment(pugz/reflectix) is depending on 60F to neg 15 spread.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with the hunt.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity