cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You can't fix stupid

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Had to take a road trip by car last week. A Prevost MH towing a 7 series BMW 4 down passed me like I was parked. I sped up just to see how fast He was going. Twenty seven MPH over the speed limit! That right,102 miles per hour! If the driver of the Prevost reads this post, I want to give you two thumbs down!!!
87 REPLIES 87

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like a previous poster, this sounds like BS and someone looking to start a long discussion. I deal with BWMs sales daily and I know of no 7 series that can be towed 4 down. Not sure there could even be a baseplate fitted on one for that matter.
In the old days when I was a kid the greyhounds could run FAST, but as my old dad used to say, "son it takes a big hog to weight a ton". By that I mean 102 MPH is fast in any vehicle. doubt this was a real story
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
When I answered 9-1-1 We had a caller telling us about the apparently drunk driver weaving all over the road in front of him... Troopers caught up.. The driver he was calling about was weaving about kind of like an arrow in flight (Straight down the center of his lane) The caller however (We did notice his voice was a bit..er.. slured) You guessed it, Intoxicated.

Another story: A couple pulled into one post parking lot, Parked in the NO PARKING part of the lot got out and were arguing about how drunk the driver was.. She insisted he was too drunk to drive and she should be driving.

She was half right.. HE WAS too drunk to drive.. So we provided him with a nice Blue taxi to take him to where he spent the night.

She was too drunk as well.. but she got a checker cab

The car went to impound.

I bet you have a ton of those stories. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for being there when we needed you.:)
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. Double post.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I answered 9-1-1 We had a caller telling us about the apparently drunk driver weaving all over the road in front of him... Troopers caught up.. The driver he was calling about was weaving about kind of like an arrow in flight (Straight down the center of his lane) The caller however (We did notice his voice was a bit..er.. slured) You guessed it, Intoxicated.

Another story: A couple pulled into one post parking lot, Parked in the NO PARKING part of the lot got out and were arguing about how drunk the driver was.. She insisted he was too drunk to drive and she should be driving.

She was half right.. HE WAS too drunk to drive.. So we provided him with a nice Blue taxi to take him to where he spent the night.

She was too drunk as well.. but she got a checker cab

The car went to impound.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Must be just where you are. In my area, police immediately check the cell phones of drivers in involved in accidents. It is very easy to just check the "previously called" numbers and times on the phones.

One more reason to lock your phone with a password. Requires a search warrant then.

Also agree with AprilWhine, I am hard pressed to see how a Prevost towing a car could hit 102 mph. OP has never been back to this thread either.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of Cell Phones:

Landmark ruling by Supreme Court on cellphone searches.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
1. If you witness a reckless driver, call 911. Make sure you know the highway you are on, the direction of travel, and the milepost.

2. Never attempt to catch up to a vehicle to get it's plate. Just have a good description of the vehicle ready.

3. Try to keep the vehicle in sight for as long as possible, watching for it to take an off ramp.

4. Let your passenger do the talking if possible.

5. Be patient, out west the nearest unit may be a hundred miles in front of you.

6. Give your name and cell phone number to the dispatcher. If you call 911, you will be transferred to the Highway Patrol dispatcher, and your information will be relayed to an Officer directly. It's common procedure for the Officer to call you directly, to get updated information.

7. One final note. Please understand that with budget cuts over the last six years, most Highway Patrol agencies have taken huge cuts. But if an Officer is available, your call will become priority one. Taking reckless, dui, and sleepy drivers off the road before the crash is priority.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
usmohls2@yahoo.com wrote:
Had to take a road trip by car last week. A Prevost MH towing a 7 series BMW 4 down passed me like I was parked. I sped up just to see how fast He was going. Twenty seven MPH over the speed limit! That right,102 miles per hour! If the driver of the Prevost reads this post, I want to give you two thumbs down!!!

Troll post and you guys are feeding him till he's nice and fat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. There is no base plate made for a BMW 7 series, only the 3 series and the Mini Cooper can be flat towed.

2. As a Prevost owner and driver, I know they are geared to be over-the-road busses. I have a Detroit Series 60 engine, 475 hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque. I have plenty of power but with the gearing, I'm at redline near 80 mph.

So basically, the OP started a Prevost envy thread and you guys all fell for it. LOL :B

I think you are right Bro, but never mind we are on the cell phone thingy now. Can you imagine a Mod having to pilfer thru all this stuff? :R

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I remember, when looking at the footage of my dash cam (before it gave up its magic smoke), how many people were either texting or had their phone up to their ear when they did very dangerous driving maneuvers.

I will say it is definitely under-reported because as of now, the police or insurance companies won't check with the telco to see if the phone had a voice connection active, or an outgoing SMS message recently sent at the time of impact.

Must be just where you are. In my area, police immediately check the cell phones of drivers in involved in accidents. It is very easy to just check the "previously called" numbers and times on the phones.

I am not sure how the "hands free" cell call is handled legally (in Connecticut, it is illegal to use a handheld cell phone, but legal to use "hands free"... which is silly to me).

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Around here the person calling the police sometimes gets in more, or as much, trouble then the person they were calling the police on. In this case for example; if he tells the police that he sped up to there speed to get there license plate number he is confessing to driving the same speed over the limit that they were and the police would rite him out a citation. Best off to just shake your head and sigh and enjoy the rest of your trip.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
If you call, you might save someone's life. If you don't call, you never will help anyone.

From my experience if there is a LEO in the area, they will do their best to respond. If not in the area, there is not much they can do to get to the offender in time. In the case there is an accident, your recorded call can be used for evidence. In legal and also civil cases.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Sorta puzzled at the folks that evidently think the O.P. is concerned here about something that's "none of his business"-? I frankly think a call to the Highway Patrol was in order since the idea of sharing the road with a massive, grotesquely speeding "guided missile" is unappealing to me.

But maybe that's due to my Mother's having been passed by a speeding vehicle one fine morning, and in the next moment she saw the within-the-speed-limit pickup he next slammed into from behind (at "only" 80mph or so) go sailing straight across the freeway right in front of her. It tumbled fifty feet down a bank to land upside down on some railroad tracks. The driver of the struck vehicle and her 12 year old son were killed.

So, yeah- it IS our business!

Pardon; but think about what you just said. The same kind of envy or nannyism of that declaration is seen all the time by drivers of nice cars. I've had cops called on us because the little black car looked like it was speeding apparently. Wife drives it like a taxi. I have probably exceeded the magic number on the sign a time or two. People will speed up to get your license number or try to forceyou off the road or other idiotcy.
I certainly won't drive our coach at 102 mph even if it could do it.
Won't drive the car faaster than anyone in front, of me either.
I won't call anyone to report someone tooling down the road safely. If they are driving dangerously, then yep gotta call. guess what. It don't do any good unless the cops see it. However, if you report a high dollar hot rod they will look for you, hoping you will race away from them. They love a good chase, and they can get away with it.
To the LEO's I know, I didn't mean you or any ne around here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
usmohls2@yahoo.com wrote:

I wonder how long it takes to stop a 38,000# Prevost pulling a 3700# BMW, traveling at 102 MPH?

Probably about 200 feet after it hits a bridge abutment. And a debris field about 400 feet wide.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
RayJayco wrote:
In years past it was playing with the radio, conversation inside the vehicle, smoking, eating, site seeing, day dreaming... Now we add the cell phone... All are distractions... Most can only concentrate on 1 thing at a time, although they are incapable of admitting or understanding it.

absolutely understand what you are saying.
add the cell phone with voice and TEXT which is worse.
BUT, if ya can't say the others are wrong, what is wrong in adding another? I know it is ALL wrong, but honestly just having a passenger in the car with ya is a distraction, even without every single other thing ๐Ÿ™‚
can't win, never will

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Click here

It is not nuts!

What phone call or text message is more important than someone's life?
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS