cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Wish List for RV Manufacturers

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't done of one these in awhile and since the makers have started planning their 2016 models, here's an opportunity.

What would you like to see included as options/standards in the 2016 RV model lines?
Here are the categories:

Chassis/Engine/Mechanical

Plumbing/Electrical

Safety

Storage

Floorplans
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
45 REPLIES 45

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super C on a 30,000lb F650 chassis with gas V10 power.

If an NFL defensive line cannot do calisthenics on the roof, it is not strong enough.

Folding nightstands. Shelf flips down from the wall...to make the bed (or load/unload gear, or vacuum), put your book somewhere else, flip it up, and go to it.

For smaller rigs: Murphy bed.

For all rigs: someone build a 3-way fridge that isn't a bloody fire hazard!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Freeradical, we will probably be looking for a bigger rig in a few years when we slow down. So, here's my list:

Stop cramming the bed into a slide. Put the closet in the slide and give me room to walk around and make the bed.

Stop putting the toilet in a hole by itself and the sink somewhere else. I may poke my finger thru the paper or make a mess I need to clean up.

Stop hiding usable storage space with a blank panel. I will pay the extra $50 it costs you to put a door on there and install a shelf.

Stop making the woodwork and upholstery and floors so dark. A dark space on an overcast day feels like a tomb. Also, I want washable fabrics with zippers, or vinyl upholstery, especially on the dinette.

Stop trying to make me buy slick ceramic tile on the floors. Wood or linoleum is fine. Have you ever tried to replace a cracked tile or walk on those tiles when they are wet?

At least one huge basement bin. The rest can be smaller. I need one really big one.

There. I think that's it as far as the trends I have seen that I don't like.

Oh, one more:

Stop putting the washer/dryer units in the bedroom. What do you think a broken hose is going to do to the carpet, walls, wood bed platform, or anything stored under there?

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
built in beer tap for 1/2 keg:C

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
More kitchen counter space , more colorful interiors. The all dark brown interiors feels like living in a log.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Haven't done of one these in awhile and since the makers have started planning their 2016 models, here's an opportunity.

What would you like to see included as options/standards in the 2016 RV model lines?
Here are the categories:

Chassis/Engine/Mechanical

Plumbing/Electrical

Safety

Storage

Floorplans

Make something like this on Tatra chassis
y

Tatra
http://youtu.be/YPWLC-p88Cs

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen nightstands next to rv beds that did not force one to pull the mattress half off the platform to make the bed. We have bad backs and like to sleep on thick memory foam mattress, which are heavy. Our old 32 ft Jayco trailer with no slides managed to have a queen sized bed that one didn't have to be a body builder or a contortionist to make up. Why can't today's designers do that? If they can't figure out how to do that, why can't they make a twin bed option?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee I thought most everyone had bedside tables beside a king bed & room to walk either side. I do.

My big gripe is in the electrical side.

Do away with 12V fuse panels & install 12V circuit breaker panels like boats have.

Centralise some of the light switching. Again like boats.

Locking drawers, like boats.

Better use of interior wall space for shelves e.g. our first Alpenlite had very handy shelves next to the table. Great to put all the table stuff in for travel.

RV designers waste tons of space. They should get onboard a cruising yacht or trawler to see how to maximise the use of space.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
for 5th wheels, cabinets you can reach without an extension ladder. Never understood why they think Shaq-sized people must be standard owners

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Having exposed and unsecured fresh and city water fills on the side of an RV are a deal breaker for me. Way too many RV's have them this way.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Make it a requirement that the designers have to take a spouse, two children and a large dog and go on the road with the unit they design for at least two weeks. This would most likely result in a whole lot of these problems being solved before the RVs even hit the sales lots.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
To repeat some others

Decent sized bed side tables...
Option for Queen Bed.. don't force me to a King
office/desk/craft space and washer dryer connections
don't want bath and half.. quite frankly... I can't use two at once.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
A bed that is easy to make, not crammed into a corner or with the mattress stuck tightly into a slide or with that ridiculous skinny aisle on one side that no good sized adult can move in.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
As another poster suggested:
Solar and inverter prep, could be a simple as a conduit in proper place for each.

Battery chargers which work well when running off a generator.

Inverter-type generators.

Twin beds

Choice to omit dinette for sofa bed or dual recliners.

I like your list more than mine! Twin beds can really free up space in smaller rigs.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
As another poster suggested:
Solar and inverter prep, could be a simple as a conduit in proper place for each.

Battery chargers which work well when running off a generator.

Inverter-type generators.

Twin beds

Choice to omit dinette for sofa bed or dual recliners.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
User manual with pictures for EACH model.

Video walk thru and system demo for each model.

Have transport co's note engine, chassis, towing and noise problems that would be fixed before RV goes on sales floor.

Two year warranty

Final QC inspector signed letter to new owner.

Bug screens on appliances.

OK I finally woke up. Great dream.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike