cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp food

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
So what is everyone eating on their adventures.Need some simple ideas. Hot dogs over the fire are really getting old.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS
100 REPLIES 100

Sailin__Shoes
Explorer
Explorer
We generally eat what ever is local and in season where ever we are. We camp on the eastern coast and along the gulf a lot so we eat seafood most nights. Oherwise we eat as many fresh veggies from local produce stands with our meals.
Oh, by the way, check out our Webervn blog link for a few foodie pictures from our latest trip down to the gulf!

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
Some good sounding recipes here. I won't give a recipe, but here are some ideas:

-Sounds like you are now planning on getting a grill. That is a good start. Propane works, but a charcoal grill always tastes better. There are plenty of small portable charcoal grills out there. You can grill almost anything you want. Peppers, zucchini, squash, asparagus, and corn are easy and particularly good grilled and don't necessarily need to be wrapped in aluminum foil. Always use olive oil on any veggies you will grill. For other ideas, there are tons of good websites and cookbooks out there for grilling, but it can be as simple as slapping down just about any cut of meat and it will be good (though a rub or marinade will make it better).

-Camp stove. If you don't have one, you really need to get one. A quality basic model without any bells and whistles will run about $50. You'll probably go through one $2 canister of propane in one or two weekend camping trips. You can do anything you can on your stove at home.

-A cast iron Dutch oven is a great addition to your camp kitchen. Get one with legs and you can cook with it quite easily in your campfire. You can buy a tripod and hang one without the legs, or you can get a grill top with legs to go over your fire. You can use the Dutch oven on your stove, but you will end up using a lot of propane for slow cooking (you may want a 5lb or 10lb propane canister if you do that).

With those three options (or really, any two of them) you can cook almost anything you would at home and variety will certainly not be an issue.
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents

baglady201
Explorer
Explorer
I like a favorite from my childhood we called Hobo Dinner. Start with a large square if aluminium foil, place a meat starter, hamburger, steak, chicken, chop, whatever you like in the center. Pile it high with veggies, we used onion, celery, carrots and potatoes, sometimes mushrooms, salt and pepper. You can experiment with what you like. Pull up all 4 corners and twist to close foil packet. cook on grill or right in hot coals, 30 minutes to an hour, depending on meat, pass them out, enjoy!
The Baglady &... No, just me
and my '68 DeCamp Cricket

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a large crowd while camping here is what we do for one night. Tacos but we buy the stand up kind, put newspaper down on table and lay out 50 taco shells. Each person has a job, the first person puts cheese in each shell, the second puts in the meat (hot meat will melt cheese), next person puts onion, next does lettuce and next does the tomatoes. All the tacos are finished at the same time and everyone gets to eat at the same time. The sauce is optional as some like mild or hot, their preference. We figure 5-6 tacos per person and everyone contributes meat, veggies and shells. Our crowd looks like a bunch of beavers before and during the meal! LOL!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
Went tenting earlier this week and wanted super easy since we were camping without electricity. BBQ'd chicken breasts on the grill at home, shredded it with a fork, put it in a ziplock bag. At the campsite, all I had to do was warm it up with some BBQ sauce in my cast iron skillet and serve it on hamburger buns with coleslaw and roasted corn. Only 1 pan to clean and it was different from the usual easy foods.
Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog

New_Vision
Explorer
Explorer
We like to make grilled pizzas. Very simple just get some small pre-made crust, shredded cheese, and sauce. Sometimes we make a alfredo sauce grilled chicken pizza. We take different ingrediants for everyone to make there own.

We also take left over taco meat from home and make grilled quesodillas. Soft shells, cheese, and taco meat real simple and easy clean up.
I O W A !!! G O H A W K S !!!
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 32FRL 5th Wheel
2005 Ford F350 Superduty Supercrew SRW 6.0 liter PSD
Curt 16K

1waybro
Explorer
Explorer
along with the usual bbq chicken,steak, burgers and dogs, we will dice 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast into bitesize and cook in frypan with drizzle of q/oliveoil on medium heat with lid on to steamfry. when chicken is nearly cooked thru drain and add a jar of bertollis alfred sauce into pan and cover and simmer for another 10 minutes add in some steamed brocolli if you want. serve over bed of steamed rice. prep to table in 30 minutes
2003 Southwind 36RS Workhorse Chassis
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

vthoms
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great ideas here, when we camp dh ussually does the cooking, we have alot of burgers and steak on the grill, hot dogs on the fire, and dh makes an awesome roast wrapped in foil and cooked in the fire. That and potatoes almost every day which makes me happy because I LOVE potatoes and I especially love how my dh makes them and left overs make wonderful hashbrowns.

Breakfast is a mix up of eggs/bacon/hashbrowns or pancakes sometimes with berries if there are Saskatoon berries (this time we found blueberries so got to have both), cold cereal, hot cereal sometimes toast when I pull out my mom's old camp fire wire with the tin base leaning toaster thingy but my kids ussually just want cereal.

Dh doesn't eat lunch ever so we tend to sleep late brunch it and just snack and then have supper.

Thanks for all the great ideas! especcially corn, everyone loves corn.

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
A good, easy potato recipe for fire or BBQ:

Put down big sheet of foil on table - have sliced onions, garlic powder, salt, pepper and olive oil ready on hand.
Slice entire russet into 1/4 inch slices, inbetween each slice slip a slice of onion, salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap up tight. Wrap with another layer of foil. put next to coals in fire or on grill for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Unwrap and serve.... leftovers are good for morning reheated with scrambled eggs and bacon. You can use butter also - even yummier but not as good for your arteries!

We call them Cascade Potatoes - invented in the northern Sierra
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
We almost always camp where there is electric and water, so I can take my crockpot if I want to. I cook on my Coleman stove the most. Pretty much anything I can cook at home, I can cook in camp. If I'm going to cook chili, I usually brown the ground beef at home, freeze it and transport it in the cooler. I bring the other ingredients with. I love my vegetable beef soup in the fall(some people have said it will bring the dead to life, it's that good :B) I cook it at home, put it in a mason jar and transport in the cooler. Then I just reheat on the stove or in the crockpot. We like pinto beans made in the crockpot too. I can soak them overnight in a pot(in the car), then put them in the crockpot during the day. Let it cook 8 hours or so. Serve with cornbread muffins I cooked at home.

Obviously, I am careful about *where* do my crockpot cooking. Bear country is off limits. :E I've never had an animal come into camp except some little yap dog who peed under my camper grr...
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
After 3 years on the road with the BBQ and the same o same o food, I broke down and bought a coleman stove. Sorry I waited so long! :B

Takes up less space, still uses the propane and you end up making better tasting, healthier food.

Once every couple of weeks when I stay at a CG more than a couple of days I take on day and make homemade soup and stew and container it and freeze the single servings. Makes for a nice warm meal on the road for those overnight stays where you don't want to schlep everything out to cook.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sandeeAR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the Corn on the Cob tips. I'll try it when we go camping Labor Day Weekend.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
My corn recipie is this: soak for 20-30 min in water,twist off silk sticking out the top and grill for 30 min turning a few times. The silk will rub off with a finger or two. Butter,salt and fresh ground pepper.YUMMY.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB

campkrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We don't remove the silk.It comes right off very easy when done.

We also wrap in foil.

We like to cook any veggy in foil on the grill.Sprinkle a little Cavenders and a dab of butter

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carefully pull down husks, take of the silk, wrap 'em back up, soak and then grill for 45 minutes. Then I read somewhere it actually tastes better to grill without husks and cooks much faster.

Pull off husks all the way, so you put the corn cobs right on the grill and clean up silk just like if you were going to boil them. Rub them down with a bit of olive oil, and then grill on medium, turning pretty frequently. Grill until the kernals get a bit more transparent looking - almost like a deeper color yellow and then take them off - usually about 20 minutes. I like to add salt, cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lime to my ear, but my DH and kids just add butter and salt. It's easy and delicious this way.
Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog