cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp food

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
So what is everyone eating on their adventures.Need some simple ideas. Hot dogs over the fire are really getting old.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS
100 REPLIES 100

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Breakfasts - I make 2 kinds of waffles and freeze from home, sometimes DH makes amazing fruit crepes - he eats eggs, waffles, sausage or bacon.
Lunch or Supper - Corn on cob (soak 20 minutes w/ husks on put on grill, salads, quartered potatoes on grill, DH likes brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, fish, etc. on grill - I eat homemade veggie burgers
Snacks - s'mores, and normal snacks
Need recipe for grilled cabbage if anyone has one.

Familyof4inMD
Explorer
Explorer
We do a big breakfast in the morning of eggs and bacon or pancakes all cooked outsie on the griddle part of the grill. Lunch we do lunchmeat sandwiches and chips. Dinner either steak or chicken on the grill, baked potatos, sliced up tomatos, or salad. Sometimes i put something in the crock pot on the table outside of our camper and let it cook on low all day. I have done chili, beef stew, and pulled pork. I think next time I will do sloppy joe.
2006 Ford F350 4-door Diesel
2008 Jayco Fifth Wheel 31.5 BHDS

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something we're going to try this year: Homemade pretzels over the fire.
Tell me more. We've gotta try that. Where's the recipe?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Something we're going to try this year: Homemade pretzels over the fire.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
We started out doing the weekend camper thing too - hot dogs, etc. but now appreciate cooking, as others have stated, very much like at home. Just like with regular cookbooks we only like about 1/10th of any given camping cookbook, so we just make the same foods in camp that we eat at home.

Dutch ovens allow you to do ~everything~ you can do at home, including baking bread, without having to carry a full residential style kitchen with you - and yes, I know, some people DO have a full kitchen, but not us ๐Ÿ™‚ Foil packs also work well since they become their own cooking container and you just ball it up when you're done cooking.

You can prep a lot of your food for shorter trips at home, pack it in Ziplock bags, toss it in a cooler full of ice, and then it's not a mess to handle and is half-ready to cook in camp whenever you want it. We've done pot pies, soups, stews, various Mexican and Italian dishes, all sorts of meats and veggies on the grill (over a wood fire is the BEST grilling), etc. this year, and will do more I'm sure as the year progresses. The only limit to what you can cook is your willingness to be open-minded about what's possible.
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
We eat far better camping than we do at home. Open fire cooking is a love of mine. I plan one big meal each trip but other than that we mostly eat the same as at home except more fresh. Breakfast is the same as home. Noon meal depends on kids. Sometimes we grill, sometimes mac & cheese, sometimes they just want PB&J. I am doing a whole pork butt on the campfire later this summer for one trip.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here' my 2cts because I do not cook but DW is the best. When we leave on a long trip she usually prepares dishes that travel well and last long enough for copious leftover servings. Now it's up to you to find your own menu 'cause I've got mine!!:W

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
So what`s on the menu this year?
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We always make one pan breakfast burritos. Fry bacon or sausage in a LARGE skillet. Set aside when done. Cook frozen potatoes o'brien in the bacon/sausage grease. When potatoes are fully cooked, add crumbled bacon/sausage, beaten eggs and cook until eggs are done. Serve in tortillas with cheese and salsa. YUM!
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
for breakfast most of the time we make big breakfasts...pancakes, french toast, waffles, eggs...with bacon or sausage and fruit. lunch is sandwiches. dinner is a combination of what we eat at home and a lot of grilling. if we are going to be away from the trailer for the afternoon and not have much time to make dinner we may bring the crock-pot with us and have dinner ready when we get back. we grill: chicken, turkey breasts, steak, sausage patties, pork chops, fish, just as a sample. crock-pot ribs, chili. if we are out for a 4 days or more we will plan for dinner leftovers to turn into lunch. so leftover grilled chicken is made into chicken salad. leftover grilled vegetables go into pasta salad. I also pick meals that I know the kids will like at least some of the food that is being made.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
We love teriyaki marinated flank steak - cut into thin little strips across the grain after it's grilled - always a family favorite. I usually serve it with roasted potatoes as well and lightly sauteed fresh green beans - that is making me hungry now!

A new dinner I've been making while camping lately is roasting a fresh, bone-in turkey breast in a dutch oven low and slow in the coals. I lay it on a bed of orange, lime, and lemon slices with quartered onions and cloves of garlic, then I lightly butter under the skin with some basil, rosemary, and thyme. Turns out really well, serve that with precooked mashed potatoes, sauteed, julienned carrots, and sliced cranberry jelly. A summer version of thanksgiving dinner.
Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog

pearly101
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going camping shortly and I am planning on a beer can chicken the first night and then a BBQ chicken pizza the next night with the leftovers. I have a Weber Q200 which I love and a coleman stove. I'll probably grill some asparagus and corn to go with the beer can chicken and microwave some potatoes or rice from Trader Joe's. Makes at least one dish of the meal easy to do.

On our longer trip, I am planning on marinated flank steak with soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic, sides will be roasted potatoes with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic and onions and grilled carrots.

Lunches are always simple. Sandwiches or something along those lines.
2012 Cougar 293SAB
2004 Ford 250 4x4 6.0L Diesel

sitesseeingusa
Explorer
Explorer
I made something tonight that would be pretty easy at a campsite (as long as you have a cooler). I crumbled/cooked Bob Evans sausage and added eggs to the same pan (along with the cooked sausage). When the eggs were cooked, I spooned the mixture onto a tortilla and topped with cheese. It may not be the best meal for a hot day, but I'm all for recipes with 4 or less ingredients ๐Ÿ™‚

If you're feeling fancy, you can add sour cream and/or salsa.
Brandy

Follow our journey as we take our first month-long RV trip with our two young children in June 2013!

http://www.sitesseeingusa.com

2011 Ameri-Lite 255BH

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
This was a really good thread to resurrect.

Anyway, I see a lot of people say to cook how you would at home. I am a tent camper so that is tougher, plus to me, some foods just go well with camping.

When cold weather camping, nothing like a good stew. Chili is good in all weather. Any kind of cook out food is good for camping. Steaks, chicken, pork (if you eat it, I usually don't), burgers, hot dogs, different sausages. Sides: cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon. Some veggies just seem to be made for grilling or campfires- zucchini, squash, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob...mmm, I'm getting hungry. For breakfast, eggs, sausage or bacon, and some home fries. Oatmeal may be another good choice if you are in an RV, or without milk if tent camping. Also, when camping, it is a vacation. Especially when I'm out of the area, I try to do at least one meal at an area restaurant. Either something regional, or often, I may go out to eat while I'm out seeing the sights in the area.

If you camp often enough that these choices get old, I can see doing what you would at home. However, there are a lot of variations of cookout/camping foods so for me, it would take a long time to get sick of them. Grilled steak one dinner, chicken or Cornish hens the next day, roast beef the next, pork the next, Italian or Polish sausage one night, fish one or two nights (different kinds and prepared differently to avoid repetition), turkey breast one night, hot dogs and hamburgers the next, eat out one or two dinners in there and throw in a chili or stew, and you have 2 weeks of dinners with no repeats (and by then you can probably repeat without getting tired of it). For lunch, left-overs, sandwiches, or if separated enough from when you do it for dinner, hot dogs make a good lunch as does chili.
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents