Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your "go to" campground?

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
I haven't decided on a summer vacation spot just yet. Still doing research. I'm interested in what\where is your "go to" campground for family fun? And why?
Thanks!!
Spap
24 REPLIES 24

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info!! I'm taking notes. I am really close to Roaring River. I think you just helped me pick my first destination of the spring.
Thanks again!
Spap

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to camphost at a Virginia State Park for the month of May. Then, we will head to Point Lookout State Park in Maryland to camphost for the month of June. We will leave our 5er there, but will meet our church in NJ for a mission week, then head back to MD to pick up the 5er. Come home and wash clothes, clean out the 5'er and then head to Hunting Island State Park in SC for 10 days with friends before heading back to Natural Tunnel SP in Virginia for the month of August.

But, we do love the Gulf Shores area of Alabama, Destin area of Florida as well as the Bar Harbor and southern Maine area.

I don't know that this is much help, but we do LOVE all the places that I have mentioned.

I didn't put in the why, so on edit, I will. We love NTSP in VA because it is close to home, it's in the mountains, has some spectacular scenery, large level sites, lots of wildlife and wonderful trails.

Point Lookout is on the point where the Potomac River runs into the Chesapeake Bay. The Bay is on the eastern side and the river is on the west. It is beautiful and fishing is readily available, crabbing is also plentiful. The trails are lots of fun and our kids LOVE the nature center there.

Hunting Island is right on the ocean, lots of sand, lots of shells, shark teeth and other findings. Lots of shade, good wind, good fishing pier, crabbing area and wonderful seafood in the area. About 1 1/2 hours from both Charleston and Savannah, so day trips are great.

Gulf Shores is just a great beach area, as is Destin and neighboring areas.

Bar Harbor is on the list because of Acadia NP and Southern Maine (Old Orchard Beach area) is my favorite because of the small town feel with lots of lobster! Lots and lots of Lobster!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living in St Louis, MO Montauk State Park is our fave for a day or two. Both DW & I love to trout fish and Montauk has excellent fishing. On longer outings Roaring River SP, around Cassville, MO is our true fav. Once again, trout fishing is superb. Not very far from Eureka Springs, AR and many other attractions. Wish we were there now!:)
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
Lake of the Springs, Oregon House, Ca. Private, no wake lake, swimming, mini golf, lots of activities for kids.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Seashore Campsites in Cape May, NJ for family friendly fun. We have camped there in a pop-up and travel trailer for each of last four years. Here are pictures and a blog post that we did on Seashore this past fall.

http://livelylittlecampers.blogspot.com/2013/09/this-is-how-summer-ends.html

If Seashore is not too far away for your summer trip PM and I can recommend a bunch of kid and family friendly stuff.

Best--Jeremy

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
You're right Tom. We have great options really close especially around Beaver Lake. We are actually planning to spend Memorial Day weekend camping in the Hot Springs area. That is such a beautiful area. For our vacation we normally try to leave the state. Oddly enough, we haven't camped in Texas yet. I'll have to go check out the State Parks. Thanks for the tip!!
Spap

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
State Parks here in Texas. Living close to the center of the state, it takes me most of a day to get out. But this isn't a bad thing, as Texas has a fantastic state park system and the terrain varies so much north to south and east to west. In the 1 1/2 years I've owned this trailer, we've been to 13 of the parks and I still have others to see that are within a 2 to 4 hour drive.

Spappy, seeing you are in NW Arkansas, if Lake Ouachita State Park is anything like the others in your state, you must have some great options. I was at Lake Ouachita early in the summer of 2012, can't wait to get back to that park.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
State park on a Florida panhandle beach or a North Florida freshwater spring.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
It varies, but most of the time it is National Parks.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Beach!
No further explanation necessary... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350