cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 dogs and one is a rottie

LucyJ65
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm brand new to rv just got a tt and looking at campgrounds didn't realize quite a few say 2 dog limit and some have breed restrictions I have 3 dogs a Rottweiler, medium size terrier mix, and last year we rescued a senior chihuahua only 6 pounds and sits in my husband lap all day. So is this going to be a problem or are campgrounds flexible with the 2 dog rules. My dogs are all friendly and I will follow all rules about leash and cleaning up and so on. The whole reason we bought rv was so we don't have to kennel dogs.
19 REPLIES 19

Admin
Well this one went off topic quick.
Closed

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
SusanDallas wrote:
Don't the campgrounds keep a list of people with misbehaving dogs, loud music, etc. and ban them from the park if they try to make future reservations? I am new to RVing but recently stayed at a campground where someone's dog barked all night.

Sure and the next time they reserve under the wife's name and the time after under their kids name, etc...

Obviously, you won't be welcome back but if it's a once a year trip really hard to remember who was a problem and a lot of hassle to track it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
LucyJ65 wrote:
When I posted terrier mix I meant like a rat terrier not pit bull and am all for rules just asking procedure on "dog friendly" board and my rottie goes into nursing homes and special needs residences
Ty

Doesn't matter if you have pictures of Rottie sleeping with a baby all cuddly cute......

It is on the Insurance 'Aggressive Breed' List that CG owners have to abide by IF they want their Insurance Policy coverage.

Shepherds, Rotties, Pit Bulls, Dobies, Chows, Mastif, Wolf/Mix

Then there is the 2 PET Rule PLUS many CGs have a Weight Limit (25# and 45# common)

ALWAYS check with CG PRIOR....be honest/up front

And then there is State/National Parks, C.O.E. Parks and BLM

You will find places to stay YOU will just have to be MORE resourceful and do research----planning.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:
The rules are there for a reason.

And, most people don't want a Rottweiler or a Pit Bull (i.e., "terrier mix") in their park.

And, most campers don't want a Rottweiler or (God forbid) a Pit Bull tied to the picnic table next to them.

Better to sit next to a Rott or a Pit Bull than a yapping, snapping, growling little ankle biter excuse for a dog.
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
Don't the campgrounds keep a list of people with misbehaving dogs, loud music, etc. and ban them from the park if they try to make future reservations? I am new to RVing but recently stayed at a campground where someone's dog barked all night.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember if you choose to break the rules you may ruin it for everyone else. If the rule says two dogs, it's two dogs. I guess I don't understand why some people think they are "special" and should be allowed to break the rules.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I stay mostly at Thousand Trails Parks and never had a problem when I had my two Rotts with us and never had a problem at Parks other than Thousand T
samsontdog:o:W

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The problem is the park owners can't and don't want to assess if you are the rare individual that can handle 3 dogs including an aggressive breed. Not worth their trouble given the risks.

I'm not against rotties or pit bulls. I know a few that are great but statistically, they draw people who encourage the aggressive behaviors.

This is purely a business decision. Higher insurance, other guests choosing different parks, staff needed to spend time dealing with bad owners...just not worth it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

LucyJ65
Explorer
Explorer
When I posted terrier mix I meant like a rat terrier not pit bull and am all for rules just asking procedure on "dog friendly" board and my rottie goes into nursing homes and special needs residences
Ty

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The above postings show that there are many people opposed to dogs in general and large dogs specifically. Much of that is justified, but generally because of the dog owners rather than the dogs themselves.

You will have problems at some parks. You will just have to verify in advance whether they have a restrictive pet policy or not. And please be a responsible dog parent at the parks you visit. Even "friendly" dogs can suddenly lash out at another dog, or even a person, under the right conditions. Large powerful dogs are a particular concern. That is what scares some people.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
LucyJ65 wrote:
Hi I'm brand new to rv just got a tt and looking at campgrounds didn't realize quite a few say 2 dog limit and some have breed restrictions I have 3 dogs a Rottweiler, medium size terrier mix, and last year we rescued a senior chihuahua only 6 pounds and sits in my husband lap all day. So is this going to be a problem or are campgrounds flexible with the 2 dog rules. My dogs are all friendly and I will follow all rules about leash and cleaning up and so on. The whole reason we bought rv was so we don't have to kennel dogs.

Check out KOA's...seen Rotti's there and most have dog parks.
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a pit bull, and yes, private rv campgrounds are an issue. You'll be able to find a spot, but it might take a lot of calling around.

I normally am out in dispersed camp sites or forest service campgrounds, where dogs in general are no problem.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Your dogs are friendly until they are not then what?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have three dogs, but after one passed away, we didn't get another and often when checking the pet policies and seeing the limitations, I'm glad we only have two. I know this doesn't help you, but when we had three, there were plenty of other campgrounds without the limitation. We used to have a Rotty and we encountered the typical stereotype approach, but when I told them she was a registered pet therapy dog, that eased the issues. Regardless, others won't accept your beloved pets as you do. Just look around and find a CG that will accept your pets. Once, while staying at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, MT, the people next to us in a huge Class A motorhome, had two Rotties that lunged at the front windshield whenever someone walked by. I'm pretty sure no one said anything because they were there when we left and I never saw office personnel come to their site. FS CG's don't have restrictions on the number and type of pets you have other than to keep them leashed. That may have to be part of your approach. Anyway, where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton