cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A new direction for us

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first camper in 2002. I wanted to be able to take our dog with us wherever we went, so we began our camping life. We had previously gone on a visit to my sister and while we were gone, our dog became very ill. We got home and were able to be with him when he died. I still think to this day he would not have become ill if he was with us. Anyway, we camped for the next 13 years. Out west, down south, up north - we went everywhere with our dog. When Champ died Andy became our camping companion, and he loved it and still does. Well, yesterday we signed the title of our trailer over to a new owner and said goodbye to it. After my hubby's last heart attack 5 years ago, it just hasn't been the same. Things were harder for him, and last summer - after a few health scares - we decided it was time for us to let the trailer go. However, I know there are campgrounds that rent cabins to people like us - with dogs. I've been doing research and have found a few. So you see, our camping life will now take us in a new direction. One where we won't be towing anymore, but can still enjoy the campground life but in a different way. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where we could find campgrounds with cabins that are dog friendly. Motels are great, but you can't sit around a campfire and look at a sky filled with stars. Thanks for any and all suggestions. I might be camper less, but I'm still here with my hubby and my dog Andy.

Rita
11 REPLIES 11

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Try website. www.petfriendly.com

Also www.dogfriendly.com

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our van is old. It is a year 2000 model and is still my daily ride. We last attempted a long trip in the summer of 2013 when it broke down (computer chip) after we were just 5 hours into our trip to Colorado.

We are taking our Suburban to Colorado this year instead. I did some extensive searches via Trip Advisor for some housekeeping cabins in Colorado. They have a feature where you can search for those who allow pets. We will stay at three different cabin areas and we can have campfires in all. We will be near to or right on lakes and rivers. Smudge will go with us.

I have also found that some lodging businesses advertise "No Pets" but when you phone them directly to ask if you can bring your dog (well behaved, 12 pound dog) they mostly say that we can bring him. It helps that he does not shed.

Safe and fun travels for you!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the KOA vote - it's always our preferred place to RV; and we too are selling our big trailer. Will opt either for a truck camper, KPA Kabin, or the condo in FL we just bought ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
There are numerous resorts here in WI that welcome dogs. You can send for a vacation guide through WI tourism or just google it. There are so many options in this state.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

dturm
Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL has some real nice cabins and several have been designated as pet friendly. We were camped in the park for a couple of weeks in early January and it's a beautiful area. Weather and temps sure beat Chicago this time of year.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
RBak wrote:
I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where we could find campgrounds with cabins that are dog friendly.

Rita

Rita, KOAs with cabins usually have a dog play area and let folks keep dogs. Not all state parks have cabins but those that do usually allow dogs. Check the individual state park.

This search engine below also has tabs where you can filter for "pet friendly", etc.
http://www.gocampingamerica.com/findpark
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of Ohio's State Parks have very nice cabin rentals that are pet friendly

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of times if you look on the campsites web page you can find all that information.

Figure out where you want to go then look in that area for campgrounds and search Internet for their page.

Did you ever thing about a class C or a Class A. Maybe less stress and work for you. If not sure maybe rent one for a week and see how it goes.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wish you well on your new adventure. Like you said there will be campgrounds that will have cabins.

There was a travel guide I bought years ago that has a list of pet friendly motel's as well.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are out there Rita, I believe that some I have seen are KOA's.

I don't know how many are in your area but a search of them might bring up something.

It's hard when we have to give up the RV life, most of us got into it so we could take our pets with us but the cabin at a park is a good, viable alternative.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure something will turn up!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Life is about adapting to change, henceforth why we are RVless at the moment. There are many campgrounds that do have cabins and/or rental trailers. My suggestion would be to pick where you'd like to camp, get a listing of campgrounds in the area, and see which ones rent and accept pets in the rentals. There are books available as well-one I remember is called Traveling with Tover or something of that nature. I believe it only dealt with hotels, but there may be a camping equivalent. Try Barnes and Noble or an outdoor store like REI, Cabelas, LL Bean or Bass Pro. They often have books of that nature.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]