cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big changes with a broken heart (Little Update)

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting here because this is where I've posted the most, over the years.
What a year it's been. Our one trip in August was our last, but we didn't know it.
We had gotten our favorite spot, in our favorite campground. The weather was great.
My dear sweet 12 year old pit bull, did not do well. Lucy has been on every camping trip with us since we got her. This time, her arthritic legs bothered her, she didn't want to walk or swim. She hardly ate, couldn't get comfortable. We have always taken great measures to make our dogs comfortable on these trips. I couldn't believe that this dog, who had loved camping more than anything, wanted to be home.
She got back to her normal, shortly after we got home. We didn't think she had any more camping trips in her.
Then, my 55 year old, DH died suddenly on Labor Day.
None of my grown kids have the room or time for the TV/TT. Last year, our borough made us put the TT in storage. It's too much of an expense for me, now. I can't hitch nor tow it myself. I don't think anyone wants to see a broken-hearted woman struggling to set up at a campground, anyway.
So, I found a dealer that will take both of them in trade. I will get a nice, small reliable car.
My sister said, that if I want to camp in the future-I could get a 'camper cabin' or use a tent. Good point.
Many changes ahead. No one knows what is around the corner. Thank you all for your advice and camaraderie over the years.Sue
30 REPLIES 30

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I have and will say a prayer for you and your family. Hold on to the faith and things will get better as time goes on.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for the unexpected loss of your husband and hope Lucy keeps feeling better. You've had a lot of big life changes at once but don't give up on being able to still do the things you've enjoyed. It will be different, but that's not always a bad thing. Just give yourself time and then venture out.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

dturm
So sorry for your loss and situation. Loss of a spouse, life style and health problems in your dogs is quite a bundle to deal with. Perhaps in the future a small class C or B would allow you and the dogs to continue the camping.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
My heart aches for you. Allow yourself the time it takes to grieve and get over the shock - someday you will know that it is time to start making a new life for yourself,. Whether it involves camping or not will be up to you, but at least know that it is an option for you.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Sue, I'm so sorry...... take it one day at a time, and when your heart starts to yearn to visit new places, the "pros" here can help you find an easy way to do that? ((((HUGS))))
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My deepest sympathies. Thoughts and prayers headed your way.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, and Lucy's aging health issues.

Pops

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I feel so sorry to learn about this sudden and sad loss you have experienced. I know this is a very difficult time. I think it's a real blessing that you were able to make arrangements to trade since that no doubt is a big load off your mind.

Stay in touch on the forum, whether you have an RV now or not, since you never know what life may have in store as time goes on when the next door opens.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Sue, I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and your Pit's health problems. I completely understand your situation however if you really love camping I urge you too get something smaller that you can enjoy by yourself. I for one and I know most people that happened to be camping close to you would be happy to lend a helping hand. I wish you the very best of luck and at the very least stop in and say "Hi" from time to time.

Doug

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
"Our one trip in August was our last, but we didn't know it."

I never read "RV Pet Stop" but for some reason this morning I did. I still have tears in my eyes as I write this. Your situation touched my heart, as I am now faced with changes in my life & am refusing to accept them. I love to go camping & my DW has never been interested. I go alone & it is getting to be more & more difficult, but I'm not willing to give it up & won't.

Never, stop doing the things you love !!!!!
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss Sue, prayers in your time of grief.

As others have said, maybe sooner than later you will yearn for the lifestyle you and your DH shared, many options available. Sometimes the familiar can help heal the heart.

Thoughts and prayers to you, please keep visiting here!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for loss

We are in our 70s now so probably not many camping days left for us as well...

We see lots of 'girls only' camping in the places we go to. The camper of choice is ALINER or a tear drop hard side camper. Can be towed with smaller vehicle and not a whole lot of effort to setup. Being hard sides gives them a more safe feeling I think.

Perfect for one person and a couple of dogs...

We always offer help for the campers that are by themself and look out for them as well...

Lots of real nice places have cabins too. Riveredge in Pigeon Forge TN is a great example of this with very nice cabins both large and small on their campground.

WE do the cabin thing ourselves sometimes when we are passing thru. Myrtle beach does the same thing. Lakewood Resort has many cabins around the inner lakes there - real nice

There is also LADIES CAMPING CLUBS you might want to look up and follow the crowd to their outings here and there.

We have run into Ladies Groups a couple of times and they sure sound like they are all having a great time...

We ran into a lady camping by herself up on the Blue Ridge Parkway Rocky Knob Campground with her tent setup on her motorcycle. She was going all over the US writing for a travel magazine.. Fun lady to talk to.. More recently we ran into another lady camping at Westmoreland State Park in VA and was having problem with her POPUP trailer which we got her all fixed up... She was hiking the trails with her dog and taking alot of pictures.

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can tell you from experience that the pain will subside over time. I sold my TT and TV for the same reason, and truthfully regretted it. Fortunately several years after my DH's death I met a wonderful man who loves to camp...
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first post I've ever read of yours. Tears came as I read it. So sorry for the sudden loss of your husband and sorry your baby Pitty is having such problems and for your other problems right now. BUT if you really enjoyed camping don't give up on it completely. You may not be able to take your Pitty again, but later on it may be good for you to take your sister up on her offer to go camping with you. We used to camp as a family 20+ years ago. Now that we are at retirement ages, all my husband wants to do is eat, sleep and watch TV. That will NOT be the rest of my life. Since he won't go with me I just bought an a-frame pop-up (I can set it up BY MYSELF--and I'm 61 yrs. old--in 2 minutes) and an instant-up screen room that takes me (again, by myself) about 5 min. You can do it. If you search the internet you can find groups of JUST woman who, like you and me, camp alone, and they camp together--either just a few or many. It's really something you can consider!! I will be praying for you.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts and prayers are with you.....{{{HUGS}}}
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend