cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carsick dog

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a puppy for a few months now...a failed foster. He spent the first few months of his life in a crate with no socialization. His first ever car ride was when some stranger grabbed him, wrestled him into a van and brought him to live with complete strangers. He warmed up to us in a week or so, but has not warmed up to riding in a car.

He starts drooling and getting obviously stressed before the car even starts moving. The vet recommended ginger snaps before a trip and that did make his vomit smell better. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have just bought a Roadtrek. We're trying to introduce him slowly. So far he loves it, but he doesn't yet know that it will turn on and move.

Any suggestions on deal I g with a very carsick dog?
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle
19 REPLIES 19

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great news! Keep plugging away at it - it will keep getting better. And don't lose heart if he falters in his progress a bit, just go back to the last point of no problem and start moving forward again. Sometimes a dog just needs to know you'll love him even if he does puke... ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Update: We have been able to make short trips (10 minutes or so) with no vomiting. Still working on it.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
When our rescue moved in, he vomited on every car ride. It wasn't motion sickness, it was anxiety. Sometimes he'd toss it a few times during a single outing. I took him on car rides as often as possible and tried all the suggestions in an attempt to help him; nothing resolved the problem completely. Some trips he did okay, but on others he would get anxious.

The eventual cure was a long road trip. The first day we drove for 12 hours - after half of the day it seemed to hit him that this wasn't too bad after all. Then the second day (which was also long at 14 hours)), he laid down and slept. It seems he just let it go upon realizing that car rides didn't hurt.

Five years later, he jumps in all excited to go and then settles in for a sleep. He's very relaxed in any vehicle. He loves travel and RVing.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get meds to help. Making him go on car rides and get sick each time is NOT suddenly going to make him like it. If it is anxiety then the meds would allow him to travel without the bad feelings (more relaxed) and eventually may not need anything to travel comfortably. If it is motion sickness, which I believe anything that has eyes and ears can have, then meds again because throwing up every time you get in a car is not going to make him want to go for car rides either. Maybe he will outgrown it as time goes by, maybe not.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
We had a dog that threw up a lot on car rides. Baby Gravoll (liquid) did the trick. Also helped her sleep as we drove. Was the vets recommendation.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Motion sickness pills OTC takes care of my "Homer".
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Our guy got sick as a puppy in the car, but only in the crate. If he was on my lap he was ok. Eventually he grew out of it. Now always rides in his crate, safer for all.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
brewjaz wrote:
I'd say start even slower ONLY because he's as frightened as you say.

Before I drove him around the block I would start by sitting with him in the car and letting it idle a few times. Once used to the engine noise, I'd move the car about 5 or 10 ft. on the driveway a few times. THEN after he's okay with that--maybe drive a little further---then around the block.

I would only use drugs if that doesn't work.

AND as K-9Handler said above---do something fun after he gets out of the car.

This is a very good approach........baby steps. He is just a pup so take it in stages.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
My Macy used to get sick even during very short rides. My Vet said to withhold food and give Dramamine, which did work. The problem was the short rides such as to the Vet or Groomer.

One day while I was walking around a Pet Store, I found a cover for the back seat that attaches to the rear headrests and also the front headrests. It lays on the seat and has a little bit of padding. It kind of reminds me of a hammock.

Ever since I started using this not only has the car sickness stopped but she is way more relaxed. Before she would only lay down for short periods of time, now she's out cold and snoring. ๐Ÿ™‚
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
brewjaz wrote:

Before I drove him around the block I would start by sitting with him in the car and letting it idle a few times. Once used to the engine noise, I'd move the car about 5 or 10 ft. on the driveway a few times. THEN after he's okay with that--maybe drive a little further---then around the block.

Great advice, in my experience.

dturm
This is probably more likely anxiety than motion sickness. Gradual acclimation can work, but I'd urge you to talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medication. It makes the leaning of calm and relax, don't be afraid, this will be a fun car ride SO-O-O-O much easier and faster.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
at home, we feed our Lhasa in the evening when we eat our supper. so we do the same on the road. we wait until we have stopped before we feed him.
otherwise, he gets sick, even from a light snack.
you might try training him to a cage and use that as a comfort den while you're on the road.
and, as stated, the vet may have something to give him.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
Please let us know how you made out in a few days/weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say start even slower ONLY because he's as frightened as you say.