cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Change of Temperment

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 9 year old Shih Tzu has changed her temperament recently. When I would walk her she would always greet other dogs her size or smaller with a wagging tail. The last few months she now greets new dogs her size or smaller by trying to attack them, fortunately I have her on a tight leash. Any thoughts as to what is causing this?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
9 REPLIES 9

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Could be an indication of vision loss. They are less secure in their surroundings, and natural instinct is self preservation. I too would recommend a professional examination.
Good luck, and please keep us updated.

X2
It is usually due to vision loss as the dog gets older. The eyes won't look cloudy to the untrained owner but a vet can confirm this for you.

We have another Shih Tzu and a cat and there is never a problem.

Dogs are just like people actually even better in remembering because they have a better sense of smell. You dog knows by the smell that these are her friends.

When their vision starts going if the new dog or person they encounter is not someone they know they have the instinct to protect themselves. Pretty common in the senior dog.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Poppy, the tight leash may explain why she acts different when off the leash. I'll try not to pull the leash in shorter. I use a regular length not a retractable.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes as dogs get older they get a little temperamental. She's got her reasons, whatever they are. Do most people where you walk allow their dogs to "say Hi"? As our little dogs got older, we stopped requiring them to do that. We just gave other dogs and owners a wide berth and said, "we're retraining." Keep her leash loose, not taut, as a tight leash transmits your tension to the dog (per Cesar, Dog Whisperer.) This helped a lot when we had the issue.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for all the suggestions. What I'm noticing is that this only happens with dogs she doesn't know. We have another Shih Tzu and a cat and there is never a problem. We are snow birds and often see folks from the previous year and Cookie has no problem with dogs she met last year, even with one she only met once the previous year. In Yuma I found that there was no aggressive temperament if she was off the leash when we walked along the canal, if other dogs approached she would move directly behind me and go into her shaking routine.

We are in Tucson, AZ and I will have to see if anyone can steer me towards a good Vet.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the recommendation for a thorough vet exam. In addition to the things already suggested I would want to have her thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism is extremely common in middle-aged and older dogs and can cause behavior changes. Thankfully it's easily (and inexpensively) treated.

From a training standpoint, I'd recommend being careful about the tight leash. Tightening up on a dog's leash often says "Danger! Danger!" to them. So you may inadvertently be making the problem worse.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Could be an indication of vision loss. They are less secure in their surroundings, and natural instinct is self preservation. I too would recommend a professional examination.
Good luck, and please keep us updated.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Our Moxie made this change after we left her at a doggy daycare where, unknown to us, they put all the dogs out in the yard together, whether chihuahuas or great danes. She used to be the world's friendliest dog. Now our Lulu is a mess if another dog is within 50 yards.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be a sign of cushings disease. I agree, head to the vet to find out what's going on.

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
First thing you should do is head to your vet for a complete check up. Could be a sign of pain or illness. If all is clear, find a good trainer certified in correcting animal behavior problems. Even though you have him on a leash, you never know if he will get out and hurt another dog, or worse, another person. Good luck!
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer