cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coughing.....

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
My 10 year old Chihuahua started coughing a few weeks ago and I took him to the vet that gave him some med's to take and all seemed good 2 weeks ago. Yesterday he started again. Your thoughts, he sounds like a duck... and he has not been around any other dogs.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad
12 REPLIES 12

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 10 year old dog occasionally eats grass in our yard and is allergic to it. He gets into awful coughing fits afterwards and his eyes get reddened. Didn't bother him when younger. He thinks he's smart but he just can't seem to relate the coughing to eating grass in the yard... :R We give him antihistamine when it's bad and that helps.

Maybe see if he is getting into something outside you haven't noticed before?

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
We went back to the vet yesterday and she gave him some different antihistamines to take for the next 2 weeks and see how he is then. She says it is not kennel cough and maybe the windpipe, but to try this first. The whole 30 minutes at the vet's he never coughed, silly dog. Went home gave him the antihistamine and all was great until 3am this morning, he started coughing again for about 20 minutes then all is back to good again. Gave him the morning pill so we just have to wait and see. Thanks for the responses.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
If you love the dog, take him to a vet...
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it's coughing and not reverse sneezing? Dogs who are reverse sneezing often make a duck like sound.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I believe your VET can give you better answers than most of us here on RV.net. There is one member that is a vet and maybe he'll chime in. But asking for a diagnosis on a forum is like playing russian roulette with your dog. Get him back to a vet pronto!

Agreed, needs to see the vet.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe your VET can give you better answers than most of us here on RV.net. There is one member that is a vet and maybe he'll chime in. But asking for a diagnosis on a forum is like playing russian roulette with your dog. Get him back to a vet pronto!

Example: My dog started peeing in the coach. Something she has never done. Suspecting a urinary infection, I took her to the vet. Turns out she is diabetic and just started showing symptoms. We caught it early enough to keep it under control. Now, three years down the road and she's still doing well...

Your pet is small and old. Harder to fight off diseases. As we travel different places they're exposed to many different types of "stuff". He could have picked something up off the grass..get him to a vet.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Coughing in dogs that age is often a sign of congestive heart failure. Usually treated in the short term with lasics.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Our jack russell/chihuahua has a cough that sounds something like a duck. She has allergies. We give her half a benadryl when it starts and about 15 minutes later, it stops. Spring and fall are the worst.

Our pup is now 17...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

dturm
xteacher wrote:
I'd check back in with your vet. If it's kennel cough, it can take a long time to get over.

Agreed.

At 10, I'd be a little concerned about a heart issue.

But coughs can hang on forever.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check back in with your vet. If it's kennel cough, it can take a long time to get over.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
He was not around other dogs but was he around where other dogs had been? Like rest stops campgrounds etc

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you stop the meds or did the supply run out?
What was the diagnosis
What were the meds?

Without more info it could be bronchitis to heartworm causing heart failure.
BUT WHATEVER IT IS the dog needs to go back to the vet.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!