cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadly chicken jerky/rawhide again

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
..."Chicken jerky and rawhide pet treats.....sickened thousands of pets and killed 1,000 dogs in the U.S. since 2007...."

Yet they are STILL on the shelves 8 years later. :R

Today Petco said they will finally remove them from the shelves by "March". Yup let's leave them on the shelves for another couple months for unsuspecting pet owners to buy up your inventory.

Why so long to remove them? MONEY. And they actually admitted it. Money means more to them than the safety of owners pets.

..."The company risked tens of millions of dollars by changing treat vendors, he said"...

http://www.startribune.com/business/287593361.html

:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

12 REPLIES 12

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
vic46 wrote:
We make treats for the mutt in our signature. Slice sweet potato with mandolin at about 1/8th inch. Dehydrate to just about crisp. Still a little chew. Good for the digestive track and teeth and she just loves them.

This is not a hijack. We lost a Siamese cat to Chinese krap a few years back and we are now ever vigilant regarding the food we provide for our pets, including the fish. The food for the pup has NO corn and is made in Canada.
Cheers;

Vic

I wouldnt be so smug about it being made in Canada if I were you. With all due respect the "made IN" designation only pertains to a certain percentage of the process. (even in Canada)

The rotten animal parts that are being used in these products are sourced from all over the world..not just China. Also Australia, Chile, and Africa.

I try to stick with the Baked Biscuits much less chance of a sickness or bacterial transmission since they are cooked at high temps.

Some really healthy treats for your dogs: Liquid from the Tuna Can, The egg drench you used for French toast or other coatings, Fish Skin especially the fatty ones like Tuna and Salmon, Chicken skin and gristle.

Dogs are generally pretty hardy creatures an in my travels around the world I have seen dogs thrive on all kinds of diets that are frowned upon here. Their systems are tough, they are stoic and cling to life with tenacity.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I guess this is a very good reason for us NOT to shop at Petco!

I quick years ago when I could not find ONE treat that was made in the US.:(

Interestingly I have now found several safe dog foods and treats at of all places Walmart! And for us that's pretty hard to find them without wheat and corn also.

Check out a treat from Pure Balance, Treats for Dogs, Crunchy Caramel Apple...at Walmart.

I think Walmart is really trying. Unlike money hungry Petco,Petsmart. 😞

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
1mtnman wrote:
Uneasy rider wrote:
I make my own chicken jerky from boneless skinless chic. breast. no problems and Rowdy loves them!

I would be interested in the process to do this.

We have been making chicken jerky for a few years now due to the China issue.
We buy several bags of skinless chicken breast from Sams; the same kind we buy for ourselves. I freeze it and then defrost it until it is still slightly rigid but not hard. I then set my meat slicer to the proper thickness and slice all of it. I put the slices in large bowls in the frig and begin the dehydration process. We have two dehydrators. We dehydrate all of it in a two or three days by running the dehydrators 24 hours. We put the jerky in quart freezer bags, freeze it and use it frozen. This generally takes place once per month. Lucky and Lucie love it better frozen than thawed. I guess it is the crunch.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess this is a very good reason for us NOT to shop at Petco!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Not a fan of China Products period........food/tires/nick-knacs

BUT

Article is not as 'affirmative' as you are that treats are the source
"Tests have not confirmed any connection, but the agency is still investigating."

The article is not the one doing the investigation the FDA is.

Let us not forget 'how long it took' them to find the reason thousands of dogs died and continued to die until they found about it was due to melamine contamination. The FDA learned a very sad lesson waiting last time to warn/recall during their investigation.

That said. When the

'FDA issues a warning'

and is investigating....I take notice.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm092802.htm2011
Caution to Dog Owners About Chicken Jerky Products
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to caution consumers about a potential association between the development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products. The products—also called chicken tenders, strips, or treats—are imported from China. FDA continues to receive complaints of sick dogs that their owners or veterinarians associate with eating chicken jerky products. FDA issued a cautionary warning to consumers in September 2007.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/ucm360951.htm
FDA has also had the opportunity to perform necropsies (post-mortem examinations) on dogs suspected of having jerky pet treat-associated illness. We have completed 26 of these as of May 1, 2014......
In the remaining 13 dogs, jerky pet treats could not be ruled out as contributing to the illness.

What I am REALLY excited to see is THIS.
I have always said if the vet's could report to the FDA nationwide database we could catch and/or show an increase in some of these tainted food, diseases, illness, before they became epidemic. FDA has finally made this available.

..."What veterinarians can do
The “Dear Veterinarian” letter to veterinary professionals explains how they can provide valuable assistance to the agency’s investigation, requests that veterinarians report to FDA...."

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
We make treats for the mutt in our signature. Slice sweet potato with mandolin at about 1/8th inch. Dehydrate to just about crisp. Still a little chew. Good for the digestive track and teeth and she just loves them.

This is not a hijack. We lost a Siamese cat to Chinese krap a few years back and we are now ever vigilant regarding the food we provide for our pets, including the fish. The food for the pup has NO corn and is made in Canada.
Cheers;

Vic
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a fan of China Products period........food/tires/nick-knacs

BUT

Article is not as 'affirmative' as you are that treats are the source
"Tests have not confirmed any connection, but the agency is still investigating."
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Uneasy_rider
Explorer
Explorer
1mtnman wrote:
Uneasy rider wrote:
I make my own chicken jerky from boneless skinless chic. breast. no problems and Rowdy loves them!

I am sure there are many that know how,but this is my process. I buy the family pack breast,trim all fat etc.wrap each piece in cling wrap and freeze. the day I want make them I time defrost in the micro wave for approx. 6 min.just enough to be able to slice into 1/8 inch slices length wise.then lay the slices on paper towels,sprinkle very lightly with MCcormicks season all on one side and let the towels absorb the excess moisture.lay the slices in the dehydrator and dehydrate for approx. 7 to 8 hrs.the seasoning is up to you and your pets taste,also the time to dry is something you need to learn. ( not dry enough they will turn moldy ) store in baggies in the fridge. hope this helps.
lorraine-steve /rowdy(boston terrier):B 2008 f150 super cab 5.4 triton v8 2002 keystone springdale 247fbls malibu kayak pro 2 tandem fish+dive.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uneasy rider wrote:

Uneasy_rider
Explorer
Explorer
lorraine-steve /rowdy(boston terrier):B 2008 f150 super cab 5.4 triton v8 2002 keystone springdale 247fbls malibu kayak pro 2 tandem fish+dive.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Another product from China....:M
If it says, "Product of China," or has any ingredients outsourced from China, we will not give it to our dog...period.

If we aren't sure we call the company/manufacturer and ask them where they get their ingredients, even if it says, "Made in USA."

Shame on Petco.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately I purchased Purina Waggin Train Chicken Jerky Tenders at Sam's thinking they would be fine for my Golden since they were labeled Purina. A Big Mistake on my park. My Golden Bailey ended up with a severe case of bacterial infection which I'm very thankful I recognized and had a stool analysis by my vet. Bailey appears to be doing fine and is on medication at this point. I will follow up with another analysis after completing his treatment.

My error was not seeing the notation that stated Made in China!!