Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dogs in national park campgrounds

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Dear All,

I have not been active in the forums for some years, but a recent experience brings me back to the pet forum. We just finished a 2 week trip through some Arizona, Colorado and Utah national parks we have not yet visited. In particular we camped in Fruita CG in Capitol Reef NP. Truly wonderful - BUT, they have a no dog left alone rule. We have been camping in RV's for 15 years all the time with our dogs, and not only has this not been a problem; it has truly never occurred to me. In fact 3 months ago we camped in Watchman for a week with no problems.

This trip we happened to have our daughter with us, so one of the 3 of us could take turns not hiking and staying with the dogs. Most of the time now, my wife and I are alone - we simply could not have done anything like hiking or taking our Jeep into the back country.

Have the rules changed, or are they only now being enforced. I would hate to think that we can only stay in commercial campgrounds when we go to national parks, which are our main destinations. Have any of the other RVers who frequent NP's had a problem recently?

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
38 REPLIES 38

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
The replies have been interesting to me. Since this is a pet forum, I take it most if not all posters have dogs. For those of you who agree so strongly with no the dogs unattended rule, that means you either do not travel with your dogs or you drive presumably long distances to national parks then sit in a campground. My family are fairly active outdoors people, and this would simply not be worth the effort to us. In addition, I wonder - for those who rv with dogs, do you never get in a toad to tow vehicle and go out to dinner?

As an aside, since Rving with family dogs is so popular, I think you would be surprised to find that many of the "empty" locked RVs next to you have quiet dogs who are simply snoozing until their families return.

Well anyway, no criticism here - each to their own, we will find ways to enjoy our activities and our dogs simultaneously.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good rule. Should be enforced.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have far fewer problems with dogs in the campground bending the rules than I do with owners who take their "well behaved dogs" with them on hikes in violation of the rules, especially in parks with bears and other such wildlife. All I need is for that little well behaved dog to aggravate a bear barking or whatever then run away leaving me to face a pissed off, hungry bear by myself. When I run into people like this on the trail I do my best to put as much distance between me and them as I can as quickly as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs are well behaved, and we are serious hikers.

Mine are well-behaved, too, but since I don't have a camera on them when I'm not with them I can't say with 100% certainty they never bark.

The last part of that is open to interpretation. I think most campers take it to mean unattended while outside the RV, "in the campground".

Sorry but I believe you are incorrect. My experience has been it is NOT open to interpretation and if you read it without bias there IS only one interpretation. No dog unattended means just that-no unattended dogs inside or outside. If there are any questions then it's easy enough to call the campground

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
From the Capital Reef NP website:

"Pets must be restrained at all times on a leash 6 feet (1.8 m) or less in length. There are no kennels in the park and pets may not be left unattended in the campground."

The last part of that is open to interpretation. I think most campers take it to mean unattended while outside the RV, "in the campground".

Never the less, if your dog(s) are chronic barkers, don't leave them alone, inside or out. With technology today, it is very easy to determine if they are barking while you are away.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've seen that rule in many private campgrounds as well, not just National Parks...If you leave them in your RV and the power fails, they could die..barking is another problem. Even though people say they don't, often they do...of course, you're not there so you wouldn't know for sure unless you had a GoPro hooked up or a recorder....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveandjil wrote:
darsben wrote:
One croppy owner forces draconian rules.
You leave your nice little doggy who is oh so loveable and while your gone it barks its fool head off. Ranger comes and if there is no rule then there is little he/she can do BUT with a rule then all is peaceful. My next door neighbor at a commercial CG recently had two little dogs like that. They were gone 8 hours and I had to go to the CG owner. No rule against it so nothing was done.
It is a great rule

Our dogs are well behaved, and we are serious hikers. If this is simply the state of affairs, we will no longer be able to map in NP CG's. One of the reason we got into RVing 15 years ago was to be able to travel with our dogs. I can see by the response, that at least one person likes the rule. I know many people go to such CGs and then sit at their RVs most of the day. We do not. The dogs are alone while we work, and they are quite used to it. Oh well. Curious if there are any other thoughts on this issue.

Many Commercial CGs have had that 'rule' for long time.

Can't think of a CG we stayed in over the course of 7 yrs full time travel that didn't have that rule except for some 'city parks' or fairgrounds.

Did we break that 'rule'....YES
Early on dog was left alone for several hours (same as when we worked) but as she aged during our travels we only left her alone for shorter and shorter periods. Hey---I have to go more frequent as I aged too!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
You leave your nice little doggy who is oh so loveable and while your gone it barks its fool head off. Ranger comes and if there is no rule then there is little he/she can do BUT with a rule then all is peaceful. My next door neighbor at a commercial CG recently had two little dogs like that. They were gone 8 hours and I had to go to the CG owner. No rule against it so nothing was done.
It is a great rule

Our dogs are well behaved, and we are serious hikers. If this is simply the state of affairs, we will no longer be able to map in NP CG's. One of the reason we got into RVing 15 years ago was to be able to travel with our dogs. I can see by the response, that at least one person likes the rule. I know many people go to such CGs and then sit at their RVs most of the day. We do not. The dogs are alone while we work, and they are quite used to it. Oh well. Curious if there are any other thoughts on this issue.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a great rule
Traveling with my best friend my wife!