cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First RV trip with our dogs

CarlKat
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on our first trip in the RV we just purchased (used), with Lila, our 3-year-old Cattle Dog, and Tucker, our 7 year-old Springer Spaniel. We're going from Riverside, CA to Tucson, AZ. I'm wondering how dogs who are used to exercise typically do in an RV; also, what's the best way to keep them safe while driving? We are very excited about having them with us while traveling. I appreciate any suggestions (including suggested reading material), and apologize ahead of time if this question has been asked over and over again.
Katie and Ardy
1999 Triple E Commander
Buddies: Lila, 3-yr-old Cattle Dog, and Tucker, 7-year-od Springer Spaniel.
11 REPLIES 11

CarlKat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Maddog348, thanks for the idea of checking out the sofa under the window for seatbelts; I will do that as soon as my husband brings the RV back home - he had to take it to get the smog certificate yesterday. Looks like crates are the most popular suggestion; I was just hoping they could just be in their beds while riding in the RV, but safety is first. Thanks again everyone.
Katie and Ardy
1999 Triple E Commander

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
For over a decade, we camped with a Cattle Dog and a full-sized Aussie (high-energy dogs). They did fine - we walked a lot 🙂 My dogs had what's known as a "bomb-proof recall" - when I called, they came, no matter what. I could call my dogs off a squirrel chase. That being said - if your dogs always listen - the world is one huge play yard. Any large shopping area with some grass is a good place for a quick game of fetch. Cabelas are the ultimate in huge places to run....LOL! Empty ball fields and parking lots. And stopping and playing with the dogs is good for your health, too.

If your dogs aren't 100% on the recall, dragging a long 1/4" check cord (25' of rope) helps remind them that they are still tethered...

The nice thing about a mid-trip romp is that when you arrive at your destination, the dogs aren't "wired".

The other thing I taught my dogs is that they weren't allowed out of the motorhome unless they had a leash on. Granted, they would stand on the steps, stretching to see what we were doing, but by golly, they were still "in". Dogs are smart, most can understand that the motorhome has a different set of rules.

Lastly - no barking! Some dogs who are protective-ish, can be alarmed by the close proximity of RV parks. You need to let them know that that is "normal".
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs have been through dozens of quick stops in tens of thousands of miles and have never gone "flying." My older dog is 13, and she would be miserable in a crate. She has much more grip with her four paws on my bed liner than my truck and trailer have stopping ability. Sorry if my truck advice wasn't applicable. I guess if I had a class a they would be in back or in crates.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
My dogs ride in the back of the truck. They arnt human. If it's raining or over 85 they go in the cab. We stop anywhere we can throw the tennis ball for them. Sometimes we get away with it at rest stops but usually fields and such. Our dogs chase the ball 20-40min per day. They love traveling. For them it's periods of rest and sleep followed by exciting new smells and exercise. We walk them every morning. Whenever I hook up to the trailer they get excited.
It is much easier to travel with animals if they are trained correctly. I see many miserable animals in campgrounds due to poor owner behavior.

OP has a Class A, and it is never recommended dogs ride in the back of a pick up except in a secured crate. A quick stop and they go flying.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A has sofa under the 'big' window - It has seat belts - Check out "LeashBoss" on line. use these for quick trips back of car.

DOG CAR RESTRAINTS

Dog Seatbelt - Heavy Duty No-Chew Dog Car Restraint Seat belt
Dog Seatbelt - Heavy Duty No-Chew Dog Car Restraint Seat belt
from $ 15.98 $ 24.98

Tried them with with our little guys BUT in the motorhome We find a crate straped to the sofa seat & back works better.

TakeCare - TravelSafe - HaveFun

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs ride in the back of the truck. They arnt human. If it's raining or over 85 they go in the cab. We stop anywhere we can throw the tennis ball for them. Sometimes we get away with it at rest stops but usually fields and such. Our dogs chase the ball 20-40min per day. They love traveling. For them it's periods of rest and sleep followed by exciting new smells and exercise. We walk them every morning. Whenever I hook up to the trailer they get excited.
It is much easier to travel with animals if they are trained correctly. I see many miserable animals in campgrounds due to poor owner behavior.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crates........for travel

Strong short (6' max) leashes ALL the time outside

Water........always available

Potty stops/stretch their/your legs....frequent (3 hrs max)
Strong SHORT leashes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CarlKat
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't dream of putting my dogs in a travel trailer, ever. We have a Type A Motor Home, 33', that they will ride in with us. My issue is that, when they're in my SUV with me, they're wearing vests attached to the back seat belts. There doesn't seem to be anyplace to attach a leash to in the RV; I tried using the dining table posts but they slid on the floor, and like to look out the window. Thank you for your response,
Katie and Ardy
1999 Triple E Commander

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum....we travel everywhere with ours.
The suggestions above are spot on - also:

You didn't mention what kind of RV you have, but if it's a travel trailer or 5th wheel, I'm a strong believer that your fur friends should not be riding in the trailer while you are towing it.
Have a good trip.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
This time of year the asphalt/concrete/rocks may be very hot on their pads. Our G.Shepards would try to run to cooler dirt at rest areas, We went so far at to pour water on the asphalt where they had to stand to enter/exit the truck. It may look funny but kids socks, of the right size for dogs, helps with the heat but not the cockle burs.

That brings up cockle burs another bane of dog feet in the SW. All you can do is watch the ground and keep them out of the worst patches. Or spend money for dog booties which I think are a pain to put on and our dogs hated them, but they do work.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure they have plenty of cool water to drink and frequent stops so they can move around outside.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.