cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up after pet - You are being watched!

yellowdog00
Explorer
Explorer
Had an interesting experience this evening. I was walking my dog around a loop of a campground this evening and she stopped to urinate about six feet off edge of road. I didn't see anyone out by the two closest campers. After she was done, I walked a few steps and a guy came running out of his camper with his cell phone pointed at me like he was videoing me.
He yells at me "You going to pick it up?" I said "pick what up?". He says "you want me to show you". I told him "she urinated!" He gets closer and looks at the spot and I pulled a bag out of my pocket and told him "I carry bags!" He then says"sorry!" And I walked on.
I wanted to say more but I go camping to relax not have confrontations. I know some campers dislike pets and I try to be as conscientious as I can. The problem I have is some campgrounds are laid out with sites very close to each other and oftentimes they don't allow for any pet area. Wondering what others do, short of avoiding those campgrounds.
2016 Jayco North Point 301RETS, Pullrite SuperGlide
2015 Ram 3500 SRW CC 6.4 Hemi 4.10
27 REPLIES 27

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
No issues of anyone running after us did get a dirty look from an older lady when our older girl squatted down to pee once..... The campground we go to the most, has had to institute a $100 fine to those that do not pick up after their dogs the money going to animal charities. Now if we could get a fine to people who throw their uneated food from their plates on the roads.........

All of our dogs squat to Pee even the male (he grew up with all females 🙂 but I can see where someone could make the mistake of thinking that the dogs were not having their solid waste picked up.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ga80486 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
ga80486 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I'm a firm believer in having their dogs do their business on "my property" as much as possible.

At home, I don't walk the dogs so they potty/poop on someone else's lawn - they potty/poop in my backyard and I clean it up.

When camping, I keep my dogs in my campsite area (or at least away from other people's campsite areas) as much as possible.

I have found that this eliminates (no pun intended) most of the issues with other campers and my dogs. Most people don't care if your dog poops/pees in your campsite - they just don't want it in theirs or where they walk/play.

My dogs have learned to go quickly and without a lot of walking/wandering, so that is never a problem.

You two ought to get together and compare notes.

Dog pooped on my space.

Sorry, I don't get your point?

Just comparing the two threads. One complaining about a dog going on their space and the other complaining about someone complaining about a dog going on their space.

Polar opposites.

I wasn't complaining about either, but I see where my typo might have made you think that. My first sentence should have read:

I'm a firm believer in having MY dogs do their business on "my property" as much as possible.

Meaning, I don't walk my dogs around the neighborhood (or campground) for the purpose of potty-time. I think it's rude to walk a dog to someone else's property and let them do their business - even IF you're cleaning it up. My dogs are quite capable of doing their business in my allotted space (whether at home or at a campground). And I respect that others don't want my dog's pee on their fence, tree, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
ga80486 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I'm a firm believer in having their dogs do their business on "my property" as much as possible.

At home, I don't walk the dogs so they potty/poop on someone else's lawn - they potty/poop in my backyard and I clean it up.

When camping, I keep my dogs in my campsite area (or at least away from other people's campsite areas) as much as possible.

I have found that this eliminates (no pun intended) most of the issues with other campers and my dogs. Most people don't care if your dog poops/pees in your campsite - they just don't want it in theirs or where they walk/play.

My dogs have learned to go quickly and without a lot of walking/wandering, so that is never a problem.

Dog pooped on my space.

Just comparing the two threads. One complaining about a dog going on their space and the other complaining about someone complaining about a dog going on their space.

Polar opposites.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
several campgrounds we've stayed at have "dogs ok" sections, and no dogs allowed outside that section. I've had many dogs in the past and some have camped with me. I do, however, understand why a non-dog owner might get upset if dogs use their site as a bathroom. Perhaps the fog section is the best way to go.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping at a campground a couple years ago, the campers next to us had two big dogs and never cleaned up after them or took them off there site. What a mess they left after the weekend, yes we did tell the campground owners.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took my dog to a festival several years ago and walked down the road. I got back to our tent and a cop came up and told me he had seen my dog poop on the road and I had better go clean it up or he was going to cite me. I hadn't seen my dog poop, but it could have been possible, so I headed off down the road with paper towels and plastic bag. The poop was half a block beyond where we had turned around to come back. The lying cop saw the dog and saw the poop and made up the rest of the story. I never went back to the festival.

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
My entire reason for buying an RV was to get out in the woods away from other people; although we occasionally are forced into campgrounds during our travels. This past weekend, I found a beautiful site that was barely accessible with my toy hauler and required 4-wheel drive to reach. I love to let my dogs run off leash and this was the perfect location! I was very dismayed to find campers before me had pooped against various trees surrounding the camp. Being a long time dog owner, I've learned dogs love to eat human excrement and accompanying toilet paper. Disgusting. Not sure why the original topic prompted me to post this story, but its always good to keep things in perspective I guess.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
The dog can defecate on your site not mine. But then you will leave and the next camper gets the pleasure of your dogs P-ss.
Yum

Just as you had the same pleasure when you checked into your site.

(Sorry, could not resist)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
yellowdog00 wrote:
Had an interesting experience this evening. I was walking my dog around a loop of a campground this evening and she stopped to urinate about six feet off edge of road. I didn't see anyone out by the two closest campers. After she was done, I walked a few steps and a guy came running out of his camper with his cell phone pointed at me like he was videoing me.
He yells at me "You going to pick it up?" I said "pick what up?". He says "you want me to show you". I told him "she urinated!" He gets closer and looks at the spot and I pulled a bag out of my pocket and told him "I carry bags!" He then says"sorry!" And I walked on.
I wanted to say more but I go camping to relax not have confrontations. I know some campers dislike pets and I try to be as conscientious as I can. The problem I have is some campgrounds are laid out with sites very close to each other and oftentimes they don't allow for any pet area. Wondering what others do, short of avoiding those campgrounds.

.Had a camper at Hershey Park CG do the same thing. No video involved but he came running after me screaming for me to clean it up. I explained my dog did not relieve himself. He swore out he saw it. I obliged him and walked back. Turns out he was in an uproar over a leaf that was laying in the grass. I was pissed but remained calm. As the OP mentioned I was there to relax. The camper did attempt to halfheartedly apologize. I just walked away he knew he behaved like an idiot without me saying anything.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ga80486 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Dog pooped on my space.

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

Dog pooped on my space.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I heard the comment once that we (society) have lost our humility for the sake of our self-confidence.

On the one hand, we have learned that we are capable, competent, etc., and that we deserve the best.

On the other hand, we have forgotten that others are just as capable, competent and deserving.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I will confront someone who does not pick up after their dog, whether on my site or anywhere else in the CG. I carry bags with me at all times. In fact, I'm sitting in my office at work typing this with several bags in my back pocket!

I keep my dog on the edge of the road when walking and if he goes on the edge of your site, I pick up after him. As long as you do the same, I have no problem with your dog going on the edge of my site.

When in a private CG, we CHOOSE to be in an area with relatively close quarters to others and little free space nearby. Time to chill out and enjoy the camping experience rather than act like Gladys Kravitz with your face pressed against the window all day..........
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
It seems to me there are more and more posts being put on RV.net about angry, mad, upset, nosey, busy-body, annoying, rude, and obnoxious neighbor campers. Camping is suppose to be something fun and relaxing, enjoyable, and something for the entire family to enjoy, let down time, and forget your troubles for a short while!

What's going on! Has camping NOW also been invaded by the hot-heads who somehow can't separate their personal anger at the world and leave it at home, and have to deliberately make life miserable for everyone around them! You've heard of "driver rage!".... maybe we are encountering "camping rage!"

What's going on! Why are so many so darn angry when camping!

(I always pick up after my dog). I live in the country, we don't have fences either, or leashes at home!

I give a fair amount of thought to this issue too. I have come to the conclusion that there is a definite streak of the (pick one: Nazi, Cop, Apparatchik, Petty Banana Republic Dictator, School Hall Monitor, Condo Association President, etc etc etc...) in many Americans nowadays.

Our once generally high level of tolerance, live and let live attitude, simple manners and respect has been replaced by the ill mannered, nasty, argumentative busy body-ness of those that feel increasingly powerless in an increasingly complex world over which they feel they have no control. This drives them to try to control the actions and behaviour of others that come into their small "Sphere" or space.

The fabric of our social construct is fraying. Many no longer know or value their neighbors, they watch, listen and read only what they agree with thereby creating an ever shrinking echo chamber of their own ideas and beliefs. This creates and validates (at least in the persons mind) the actions the OP experienced.

What is the solution...I wish I knew.