cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sadly I don't have very good luck with dogs

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you may already know I had to have my 7 year old Flat Coat Retriever put down last January due to a brain tumor. It was a painful experience for me to do this but she was suffering terribly. I rescued her from a local rescue organization three and a half years previously and her health was never very good. During the time Lucky lived with me she had a bout with heart work (at the time I adopted her) then an infected uterus that required emergency surgery. She had a hip displasia that made it difficult for her to get around in her later years so I had to carry a ramp to get her into and out of my truck and trailer, then the brain tumor ended her life.

Now the little boarder collie I again rescued from a shelter in Kansas City has been diagnosed with bone cancer primary in her left hind leg. It developed as a slight gimpiness that I had my vet look at. It was then diagnosed as an ACL problem and was told she MAY recover from it with rest and drugs or she might need surgery. It was decided to give her a chance to take pain meds and keep her as calm as you can keep a border collie to see what happened. After repeated trips to the vet and continued treatment for three months I finally took her to another vet (my original could not do the ACL surgery and I wanted to have it done locally. When the xrays came back it was clear there was no ACL damage but the bone where it joins the ankle showed the cancer.

Now she will be going in for limb amputation in hopes she can be one of the small percentage of animals who survive this ailment. She certainly deserves better than she's getting from life. Sassy is less than three years old and otherwise happy and healthy. Vet says we're finding this problem early but there is a high probability that the cancer will spread to her lungs. I'm totally beside myself and felt it might help to share it. Take good care of your animals, they can't do it themselves and they're worth it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
28 REPLIES 28

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry you and Sassy have to deal with this..... keeping Sassy in my prayers..

nana23
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, but I agree that your dogs have had wonderful luck in finding you. I will keep you and Sassy in my prayers as you go through this process. Our daughter's beagle had a back leg amputated due to mast cell tumor and he lived happily and actively for another 3 years.

May you and Sassy enjoy whatever time you have together.

Eileen
Don, Eileen and our 4-legged "kids"
Sophie, Riley and Tessa with
Taz and Cody waiting at the Rainbow Bridge and always in our hearts

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sending prayers your way...for strength and serenity.

We too are facing a terminal diagnosis for our weim. He has metastatic CA in his head. It's been a month since it was diagnosed. The vet gave him 2.

I hope that surgery goes well and she gets more quality time with her family.

Keep your chin up.

We're at the point of making jokes: Buddy's sick; he gets whatever he wants.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I had a lot of dogs with major health issues over the years. I've sort of taken the opinion that God sends them here, because he knows I'll take care of them. As said before, you HAVE made a difference for this dog's life. Good luck. You are a good person.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Bless you for taking such good care of her Skip. It seems that providence knew who those dogs needed. Someone else may not have had the time, compassion, or resources to treat and extend her life. I hope you have each other for many more years!
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

dturm
The decision to do or not do surgery on osteosarcoma is a very difficult one. Most studies indicate that by the time we are able to diagnose the cancer it has already metastasized. They can be very difficult to spot because there are so many other problems that mimic them, as Skip found out.

Even early radiographic changes don't always look like cancer, but once the bone changes become obvious there really isn't too much else that can cause that.

The times I've done amputations with bone cancer have been entirely to prevent pain, not to cure the cancer. Without that surgery the pathologic fractures happen and the degree of pain is such that no one would watch their dog go through it.

Just a note, I diagnosed my niece's Weimaraner with osteosarcoma in her jaw (worse prognosis than in long bones). She had a partial mandibulectomy (removed part of the jaw) and had three rounds of chemo (both done by a specialty clinic) and the dog was "cured" and died of old age related problems many years later.

Maybe bad luck for you Skip, but fortunate your dogs had/have you.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
One of our dogs experienced bone cancer in his femur. I documented his experience here http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16904276.cfm

Includes the holistic approach we took, including his change in diet. Those details here, on the thread linked above.

Initially he was "given" a few weeks, but with the holistic treatment he thrived for many months. Good months too. The tumoured bone eventually broke and we decided to let him go with it, he was ten years old and a large breed Kuvasz. That dog was one of the best!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip have not seen many post's in a while. I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I went through lymphoma with 2 collies at K-State. I think your doing the right thing.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to our friend whose dog has made such a great recovery from mast cell cancer. She's convinced it's because she took him to a veterinary oncologist. I wish you and Sassy the very best of luck.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for this sad situation, but I am hoping that the surgery will be the end for the cancer. Sassie and you don't deserve this, but you will get through it. Bless you for being compassionate and having a heart. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rita
Andy my rescued sheltie (who now has a mast cell tumor)
Nicky my Tennessee Walking horse

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so sorry, Skip. Border collies are the sweetest dogs. I think you are making the right decision. Bless you for caring for her.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Having done rescue for years and facing more losses than most people do, I have learned that had you not adopted these dogs, they would have had NO life. A few years in a good home and a peaceful death is FAR BETTER than what they would have faced.

It doesn't make it easier when the time comes, but do not EVER doubt that you make a difference for these dogs and that they are forever grateful for the time you gave them - time in a loving home, with a family that cares, and with compassion.

Couldn't have said it better. Well done!

+3

Pops n' Calvin

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Having done rescue for years and facing more losses than most people do, I have learned that had you not adopted these dogs, they would have had NO life. A few years in a good home and a peaceful death is FAR BETTER than what they would have faced.

It doesn't make it easier when the time comes, but do not EVER doubt that you make a difference for these dogs and that they are forever grateful for the time you gave them - time in a loving home, with a family that cares, and with compassion.

Perfectly stated, and I completely agree!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
It's sad that you have had such horrible luck but as others have said these dogs were meant to be with you, your their blessing.
The vets say it's early so focus on the positive, she may very well outlive you and we all know how well animals do with only three legs. We had a cat once that lost his front leg and he never skipped a beat.
Here's praying for the very best outcome Skip and please keep us posted.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001