cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaved all 3 Collies today

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't normally shave them but last year they were hot and would develope hot spots. This year I went ahead and shaved them. You can tell they feel better but sure look strange. I will have to keep them out of the sun until they get some hair back.

Anyone else shave their dog's for summer?
25 REPLIES 25

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am not in favor of cutting the hair on long hair dogs for summer unless for medical reasons. It is counter-intuitive, but the long hair can actually help cool the dog. Just like a layer of insulation in your attic keeps out the heat, so does the long hair. Also, many breeds skin cannot adapt to sun exposure.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also think it helps breeds who don't get rid of heat easily? My daughter keeps her Shih-Tzu shaved: he's got NO nose; hairy feet; tiny ears - and he's black. A first-class case for heat stroke if ever there was one ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
This has been an interesting back and forth.

A lot depends on what is meant by "shave." I don't think anyone is saying shave in the sense that we do for surgical prep - that's down to the skin and leave nothing. Most grooming shaves leave some hair.

There is a difference in hair growth in different breeds. I've had some patients that never grew back hair after a shave down - usually older animals or those with medical problems (hypothyroid).

I have recommended annual shaves in some collies who had repeated hot spots and this was a preventive measure (very successful, too).

I guess the best advice is find what works best for your dog; shave, trim, comb out, or whatever.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
corgi-traveler wrote:
Single-coated breeds (poodles, yorkies, wheaten terriers, etc) can be shaved with no ill effects. When you shave a double-coated dog, you are doing much more harm than good. The answer is to keep the dense undercoat combed out. Yes, it is time consuming. It's part of the "cost of doing business" of owning a double-coated dog, though.
Why you should not shave a double-coated dog.

I gently disagree with this article. Maybe there are breeds where the coat grows out "funky" - but in the case of my Aussies, their coats grew out normally. In a few months, their coats were back to normal. And when the dogs were BEGGING to be shaved down (then acted like crazy puppies afterward) - it tells me that they felt better and were definitely cooler. It also allowed me to towel-dry the dogs after their daily swims.

Granted, a dog who lives outdoors; or leads a hard working life in rough conditions; OR is being shown competitively - then I might reconsider shaving. But for the vast majority of us, those parameters don't apply.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
corgi-traveler wrote:
Single-coated breeds (poodles, yorkies, wheaten terriers, etc) can be shaved with no ill effects. When you shave a double-coated dog, you are doing much more harm than good. The answer is to keep the dense undercoat combed out. Yes, it is time consuming. It's part of the "cost of doing business" of owning a double-coated dog, though.

That article is incorrect in that it classifies Shih Tzus as single coated. They're double coated. And yes, those double coats get trimmed/shaved regularly with no bad effects. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so let's define "shave". In my case there's still a good covering of fur on the dogs. We don't "shave" in the human sense of leaving nothing but bare skin. There's enough fur left to completely cover the skin so there is no chance of sunburn.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my Std and Min Poodles shaved pretty close for most of the year, except the depth of winter. They have enough hair to cover, but barely. We live on a farm and their coats are like velcro for burrs, sticks, and any other plant/insect matter. As it stands I clip them every 5 or 6 weeks.

They've never been matted and needed the short hair cut, in fact I spend a lot of time grooming!

Years ago we had a mix that had an undercoat that was incredibly thick. I'd clip her in the spring and she'd run around like a mad dog as soon as I was done ๐Ÿ™‚
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Our Border Collie/Lab turns 15 this year.

She has the LONG overcoat with THICK DENSE undercoat.

We 'TRIM' her short every year since a puppy.....after the first time that I 'shaved' her and she got sunburn.

Don't forget to provide a blanket at night if temps still get cool

Same here but ours is a Pomeranian. I have never had one before with a coat like this and he's a swimmer with our Lab and loves to roll in the beach sand sooooo this is the only solution for us.
He has a couple of sweatshirts to keep him warm when it gets cool.
When he is first shaved and we are out in the sun I spray his back with a Coppertone sunblock, then he gets a bath when we get home.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have two yapper dogs that require grooming monthly, which I've learned to do myself (saves $50/dog!). I do use a clipper blade that trims their hair shorter in the summer, but no, I don't completely shave them down. Some hair is needed to protect their skin from the summer sun, IMO.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Ike was a Handsome dog and you know what I mean by long hair. Bud and Mikko liked being shaved, this was the first time I shaved Lassie my 14 year old Collie and she is embarrassed.

Ike had the most collie-like coat I've ever seen on an Aussie...LOL! I think once Lassie figures out that losing the coat is "fun" (probably like skinny-dipping?) - she'll like it?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We have poodle mixes and shave them all the time. But their coats are made to protect their skin, even if shaved. They are cute longer but it is a mess to take care of constantly.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Ike my Aussie LOVED to be shaved. I agree - not very impressive-looking when "nekkid" - but MUCH happier, and certainly dried out faster after his daily swim.

In the before picture, he looks so fat - and he wasn't!

He's been gone almost 2 years. In the spring of 2013, he was REALLY angry with me for not shaving him - followed me around with exaggerated panting and just generally cranky... but by then, he had lost so much weight that quite frankly, I was afraid to let people see how bony he was (plus I figured it gave him some protection from laying on the hard floor).

I always shaved his fur (and now Ben and Jimmy) in the direction that it grew. A #10 blade would leave about a 1/2" of fur - never had problems with sunburn.
Ike was a Handsome dog and you know what I mean by long hair. Bud and Mikko liked being shaved, this was the first time I shaved Lassie my 14 year old Collie and she is embarrassed.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ike my Aussie LOVED to be shaved. I agree - not very impressive-looking when "nekkid" - but MUCH happier, and certainly dried out faster after his daily swim.

In the before picture, he looks so fat - and he wasn't!

He's been gone almost 2 years. In the spring of 2013, he was REALLY angry with me for not shaving him - followed me around with exaggerated panting and just generally cranky... but by then, he had lost so much weight that quite frankly, I was afraid to let people see how bony he was (plus I figured it gave him some protection from laying on the hard floor).

I always shaved his fur (and now Ben and Jimmy) in the direction that it grew. A #10 blade would leave about a 1/2" of fur - never had problems with sunburn.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs