cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storm Stories

dturm
Share your stories!!

Our section of Indiana (northwest near Chicago) is under a state of emergency, all interstates (I80-94, Indiana toll road and I-65) are all shut down.

We had over a foot of snow with high winds so drifts are over 3-4 feet.

It is currently -15. Wind chills near -40.

It's not unusual to get a below 0 temp here in Jan or Feb, but high today is supposed to be around -11 (record low high temp for any date around here).

One of our doctors got stranded at the airport (she spent New Year's in NY) and the other is snowed in, so I'm "working" today. I actually had a surgery show up!! and one patient for subQ fluids.

We're shutting down early, I've got a huge pot of soup at home waiting.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
40 REPLIES 40

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I am in SW Virginia and we are hovering right at the 0 mark. It got up to 7 degrees, but our cold weather is supposed to arrive overnight. The high tomorrow is somewhere below the 0 mark with the winds 10-15 mph. We only got a few inches of snow last night, but it has snowed off and on all day today and we probably got another inch. We have had snow on the ground since Christmas Eve and I figure it will last for at least another week, according to weather forecasts.

My newest fur friend got spayed this morning, so she really doesn't want to go out in the cold to "do her thing". Our other is a min-pin and if it's below 70 degrees, she doesn't want to go outside.

Our son fulltimes and lives outside of Louisville, KY. He called to check on us this morning and said it was COLD there and he was seriously considering a hotel for tonight. He just has to find a hotel that he can take his kitty to or at least sneak his kitty into.

Y'all stay in and stay warm.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Mid-fifties, sunny with high clouds and a slight breeze. BONE dry.

Sounds wonderful but we had a very dry winter last year and this year is so far much drier. Not good.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cold all the way down to the gulf coast - not as cold as IN but very windy and down to 17-18 tonight. Sure reminds us of Michigan - it's just not white.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm cozy here.. Yesterday was Minus 39 Celsius wind at 15 Km /hr windchill Minus 45 Celsius . Gas meter spinning so fast it is almost hot. Dog goes out does quick turn around lifting outboard leg on the fly, 2 turns if necessary. Warmed up to minus 29 Celsius this morning. All roads clear and open, all businesses schools etc running as normal. Probably will not see anything above 0 Celsius ( 32 F ) until April . Perfectly willing to share if anybody is suffering in the heat !!!
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
RBak wrote:
Walter, is the photo General Gretchen or Miss Inga? Whoever it is, what a beautiful doggie!

Rita
That would be Miss Inga, aka "Shorty" or "the brat".๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Explorer II
Explorer II
We almost froze last night. It got down to 33ยฐ.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
It was -2 with a wind chill of -15 here in NE Oklahoma this morning. We have a bit of snow from Sunday morning still blowing around. Most of the schools are closed due to the bitter cold rather than the snow.

When it's cold Bella gets out and back in so quick I have doubts she was "going" so I took her out and stood there this morning with her while she did her thing. I guess her front paws got cold while had her morning poo... because for a few seconds she had both front feet off the ground during the process. I got a good laugh out of that. Maybe I should have the camera ready when I get home just in case she gives a repeat performance. :W :E

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The cold gets here tonight and will be out of here Wednesday morning (forecast: 4 tonight, 11 tomorrow, and 7 tomorrow night). The sheep are free to go in and out of the barn and will probably stay out in the field during the day and in the barn at night. The barn cats have plenty of hay in the hay barn to keep warm. The ducks will likely stay on the pond where the spring keeps the pond from freezing. Sam is free to come and go out of the barn and will likely stay in the field with his sheep during the day and in the barn at night.

None of our Border Collies will be in the kennel until Wednesday; then several will have to move out to the kennel. We will have a stud in to breed one of our girls; we have 3 in season right now and we will not risk unplanned breedings.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
my storm story its raining and 78% :B

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Walter, is the photo General Gretchen or Miss Inga? Whoever it is, what a beautiful doggie!

Rita

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
"Storm? What storm???:@ Just throw the frisbee, will ya!"

The Collies love the cold as well. I got home from work with a -15 windchill and all 3 Collies are outside. They have a dog door they can go in/out when ever they want.

dturm
xteacher wrote:
You folks up north may not think anything of this, but we're not prepared for this in the deep south. Our students, especially our disadvantaged ones, sometimes don't have anything heavier than a hoody to wear to school - another reason schools are closed today. Frostbite can set in at under 10 minutes.

All our schools are closed, no one wants kids standing waiting for a bus in these temps.

Many years ago Sandy and I were at Disney World in Orlando during one of these cold spells. There was ice forming on some of the fountains but we were toasty in our parkas. All the shops were sold out of hoodies and most everybody else was freezing.

While prepared, it's still a shock.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
It's -16 right now here in Chicago burbs. Put 2 oil filled radiator heaters in my little barn for my hens and a really old feral cat that I captured (that was a feat to accomplish!) 'cause I couldn't bare the thought of her out in this cold. Barn temp. reads +21 woohoo!

Roads are still a mess after heavy snow Sat. and salt won't work in these temps. Did have DH clean an accumulation of lots of snow off roof of tt though.
Stay warm!

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
No snow here (just south of ATL), but my son, who lives north of ATL has plenty of ice and a little snow. North GA has snow and ice. Our problem here is the extreme cold, which our buildings are not prepared to handle. People with heat pumps will definitely have a problem for the next 2-3 days. I'm thankful I have gas heat, until the bill arrives...

Many school systems are closed today and tomorrow; if not for the ice, for the extreme cold. We had our high of 25 degrees this morning, with lows expected in the single digits, with wind chills below zero by tomorrow morning.

You folks up north may not think anything of this, but we're not prepared for this in the deep south. Our students, especially our disadvantaged ones, sometimes don't have anything heavier than a hoody to wear to school - another reason schools are closed today. Frostbite can set in at under 10 minutes.

Please bring your furry friends indoors during this weather!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the first time, my cat has no desire to escape. Wonder why. It's -21.