cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v marine/deep cycle batteries

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.
Which would be your choice between the Interstate SRM-29 and the WalMart Everstart Maxx 29DC? I can get the Interstates for $119 and the Everstarts for $99. They both weigh 61 lbs. I found the specs on the Interstate and its 1 year warranty but can't find anything on the Everstarts?
I am buying two to go along with my two 100w solar panels and Phocos controller for short boondocking trips in AZ with plenty of sunshine.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
57 REPLIES 57

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Costco has GC-2 batteries for $78

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
The real beauty is with two each 6VDC golf cart deep cycle batteries in series weighing 61 lbs each will give you 12VDC at around 220AHs for around $160... A single Trojan T1275 12V deep cycle battery weighing around 82 lbs each will give you 12VDC at around 150AHs and will cost around $250 dollars. Two mounted in Parallel will give you around 300AHs for around $500...

If you are on a budget then the cheaper golf cart batteries are the way to go...

Roy Ken

Everything posted here is correct except one thing. Finding 6 volt true golf cart batteries for $80 each will be next to impossible.

Using 12 volt batteries will give much greater capacity than using 6 volt batteries.

2- 6 volt batteries in series= double the volts but the amp hours remain the same

2- 12 volt batteries in parallel= double the amp hours but the volts remain the same

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Hmmmmm. My 2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C (Class C) MH currently has 2 of the 6v "golf cart" type batteries under the step. Of course, the fact that Winnebago made mine tall enough for those batteries doesn't mean they made yours tall enough.

I probably have enough raw clearance under our step for 6V golf cart batteries. However, our battery storage area is completely steel lined (even the cover has steel on it's underside) ... so I didn't want the terminals on the top of tall GC batteries to be that close to a metal surface. Besides, I wanted to go with true deep cycle AGM batteries anyway - so why not go with 12 volt jars.

Does anyone have proof that inexpensive 6V flooded golf cart batteries will outperform expensive 12V AGM deep cycle dry batteries in RV service? I've had outstanding service from 12V AGM deep cycle batteries - such as long life, no adding of water, and no corrosion of their steel lined storage area.

P.S. An even more intriguing question is: Would 6V true deep cycle AGM batteries perform better in RV service than 12V true deep cycle AGM batteries (both scenarious with the same overall AH rating, of course)?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A pair of AGM batteries is infintely more durable than flooded 6-cell batteries. What I am certain of, is battery companies utterly refuse to reveal plate thickness and antimony content of 6-cell so-called Deep Cycle batteries. I would bet heavily that they are
.060" units which is only pathetically better than .045" engine starting batteries.

Use cheap six cell batteries and keep a flashight handy...

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
AZDesertRat wrote:
I checked Costco and the largest they had was a Group 27 Interstate.
6V batteries are not an option, don't have room on the tongue for 4 and I'm not going to rely on only 2. I will check the Trojan dealer to see what they have in 12v.
I will say the two Group 24 batteries I now have are going on 6 years old and still working fine. The first thing I did when I bought the toyhauler was ditch the old power converter and install a Progressive Dynamics system with the charge wizard. I learned that with my old 5th wheel after going through several batteries in a couple years.

Why do you have 2 100 watt solar panels, then? That is about perfectly balanced daily sun wise in AZ for a pair of 6 volt batteries. Set the charge controller up to 14.8V and let it shine, no worries.

Two 6 volt batteries will fit in the same foot print as two 12 volt batteries on the tongue. Or do like I did, get one AGM telecom battery used, you'll have to hunt it down, 12V 150 AH. True deep cycle, perfect for dry camping.

Why bother asking for dry camping battery advice when your mind is already closed to the experiences of veterans who know what would work best for you? :h :S

You can get away with 200 watts of solar on a pair of size 24 12 volts just fine. But they are marginal for a pair of 6 volt.

Full sun output of a pair of 100 watt panels is about 5 amps each for a total of 10 amps. C/20 rate of a size 24 is about 4.25 amps vs a typical 6 volt of around 11 amps. Note C = Ah battery capacity.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
How many out there have run 6 cells of golf car battery and had one fail prematurely?
Anybody had one 6v fail?2010

Golf carts have been running 6v in series for years. I doubt they'd be doing that if the batts were failing all the time. The 6v failure fear is one I can understand, but it's irrational just the same.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.
Which would be your choice between the Interstate SRM-29 and the WalMart Everstart Maxx 29DC? I can get the Interstates for $119 and the Everstarts for $99. They both weigh 61 lbs. I found the specs on the Interstate and its 1 year warranty but can't find anything on the Everstarts?
I am buying two to go along with my two 100w solar panels and Phocos controller for short boondocking trips in AZ with plenty of sunshine.
Forget the interstate and neverstarts. Go to tractor supply and get Exide stowaways; 105 Ah in a DC27 case.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
I have had no issues with my Interstate Dual purpose. On another note: One factory can produce many different name brands of batteries but that does not mean they are all the same. When a company outsources it's batteries to a manufacturer, the manufacturer will build each brand and model to the companies standards.- Be blessed and have a Wonderfully Merry Christmas.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My class B has room for only 1 house battery and I do some boondocking. I have been using a M29MF ACDelco Voyager Battery and have been satisfied. It's a marine/deep cycle combo with 105AH. I wish I had room for a pair of 6 volts, but I barely can fit this one.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea everyone burns through a few 12 volters and by the time they figure out how to make them last they have moved on to six volt. Then they brag on how great the golf batteries are. I am guilty of the also. Try to keep it in perspective.

Enjoy those WM 29s.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
I'm with you 100% on staying with 12V RV batteries - mostly due to the standard automotive sizes they come in. The convenient battery storage area that Winnebago built into our Itasca Class C motorhome is right under the entry step and is accessible from either outside the coach or inside the coach. There's room there for two 12V batteries up to Group 31 in length and width, but the area is not tall enough for 6V "golf cart" type batteries.

Hmmmmm. My 2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C (Class C) MH currently has 2 of the 6v "golf cart" type batteries under the step. Of course, the fact that Winnebago made mine tall enough for those batteries doesn't mean they made yours tall enough.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZDesertRat wrote:

I'm with you 100% on staying with 12V RV batteries - mostly due to the standard automotive sizes they come in. The convenient battery storage area that Winnebago built into our Itasca Class C motorhome is right under the entry step and is accessible from either outside the coach or inside the coach. There's room there for two 12V batteries up to Group 31 in length and width, but the area is not tall enough for 6V "golf cart" type batteries.

That being said, I will not use "marine/deep cycle" 12V batteries in our RV. Only true deep cycle batteries will do ... and you usually can't find them at Walmart, Costco, Sears, Napa, O'Reilly, etc. type stores. Of course these kind of stores do carry true deep cycle batteries -> the taller 6V "golf cart" batteries. That's the reason so many RV'ers use 6V batteries if they can fit them ... they're readily available and not too expensive.

However, there are true deep cycle 12V batteries available in the standard automotive sizes. They're available in regular flooded (liquid) acid types and in dry (AGM) acid types, but both technologies will be more money than non-true-deep-cycle 12V marine/deep cycle flooded batteries and true-deep-cycle 6V golf cart flooded acid batteries.

Here's a link to a quality true deep cycle flooded 12V battery in Group 27 automotive size:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/27TMH_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

(I use a couple of true deep cycle Group 31 AGM batteries in our RV - for a total of 230 amp hours.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO a 12v battery is a 12v battery. The choice is down to the "return policy" of each one where you get it, and the availability of stores that will do that return near where you camp if you have any trouble.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta hear it....

How many out there have run 6 cells of golf car battery and had one fail prematurely? I don't mean after seven years - a car jar won't last 7-years after it spells the word BOONDOCKING.

But I do know of a number of cases where a 6-cell battery of a pair went ---- up and it's mate said "Me? Alone? YGBSM! Golf courses tend to get prickly when their 6-series string 3-cell batteries has a quitter. No power no rental no greens fees. Sorta important.

Seems as though 24, 27and 29 batteries are on the downslope. Comparing a .050" battery to a .090" plate battery is no fair match. If I had to speculate I would say there is a FAR greater chance of BOTH car jar batteries failing than a single cell in a 6-cell series string going bad.

To each - their own...

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
It always happens that way here. Ask about an F-150 for occasional light towing and all you hear is get a F-550 or you will die a horrible death or regret it the rest of your life. My F-150 ecoboost is doing quite well.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler