cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v water pump hammering

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have only used our water tank and 12 volt pump once in 2 years, always have city water hookup. Upcoming trip has no water at site so I wanted to sanitize tank and lines. Yesterday I filled the water tank with water and some bleach. Turned on the pump, ran all the faucets, shower ect. Everything worked normal. This morning I drained the tank, lines and water heater. Then started filling back up. Turned the pump on after 5 minutes or so, I had water out of the faucet but it was pulsating and vibrating the lines. After checking tank monitor and seeing it was still on E, I noticed my water hose had a kink and tank had low water level. Un-kinked hose and let the tank fill.

I let the faucets run, hot and cold, until Im getting no more air. Now the pump is hammering and the water lines are vibrating and banging. While looking at the pump, I noticed it now has a small drip where the two halves of the body come together. But only when water pump is running. I hooked up city water connection and have no vibration or leak. Is there anything else I can do or check before I replace the pump?
Is it worth trying to get a rebuild kit or gasket for a WFCO Artis PDS1RV25 pump? PPL has them for $50 but we rarely use it.
16 REPLIES 16

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hammering is usually caused by an inflexible line between the pump output and the house water lines. We fix this by replacing that line with something flexible, like a household sink line.

As for the leak, that may mean the pump is failing, but a new one won't stop the hammering.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman