cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24 volt solar panel recommendations?

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Is this panel decent? Or is there reason to buy one of the slightly more expensive panels from Solar Blvd? Friend has Blue Sky controller capable of using the 24 volt panels.

https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_270&products_id=3005
55 REPLIES 55

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Good data point thanks...

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
My pair of 245w panels peaked out at 34a and that was at 10,000 ft and tracking the sun on a cold morning. I don't think he will see much clipping in a flat mount.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the plan:

He has a Blue Sky Solar Boost 3000 rated at 22 amps w/24 volt panels. He's going to wire the panels so at least one of them is switched prior to the controller. In the somewhat rare occurrence of mid day sun when one of the panels exceed 11 amps @12 volts he can switch one panel off for controller protection. It is my opinion the great majority of the time both panels can be operational-due to sun angle or temperature.

FWIW it appears the controller will self limit to the 22 amps. But it is not recommended to use this as a feature-just as a protection. This is both in the documentation and a conversation I had with Blue Sky tech support.

Essentially this is a case of taking advantage of the low price of panels to use in sub optimum conditions-which are more common than not.

This is a weekender with a family who's coming home with too low batteries and not a good way to recharge in storage lot. He has plenty of battery capacity but needs solar to make up deficit once stored, and to keep a bit more ahead of the curve when camped a few days.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's about density in the module package. A higher voltage module is just combining more solar cells for a higher power output. There's really nothing intrinsically better or worse between 24V nominal and 12 V nominal. The 24V modules are best served by an MPPT controller, though, and the additional expense of MPPT isn't necessary for 12 V nominal modules. For us RV'ers, it's more about what fits on your roof or is more easily handled. I sure wouldn't like to be moving around 24 V modules but I know some do.

Presently, I have one 24V module on the roof. It does a good job with the 300AH of battery I have. In the future I may add another module and more battery capacity. It will be easier to install one 24 V module than two 12 V modules and the associated wiring.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
At least from my limited knowledge, the 24 volt panels work for my friend on his bus.

1. The physical size works for him. Works with what is already on the roof.

2. Running at a higher voltage it appears from the controller documentation that the wiring sizes can be smaller. Wiring from panels to controller-which translates voltage to what is appropriate to batteries.

3. Cheaper per watt.

Thanks for the input. Ordered the panels.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I question to know why a 24-volt solar system is good for RV applications..

We all know solar panels do not work standalone and the sun energy has to be stored in batteries for us to use them in our RV trailers.

It is easy of course to series a couple of 12VDC batteries but the resulting 24VDC is not really a good component IMO to use in the RV World... 24VOLTS DC is too much power to charge a 12VDC Battery system. I never see anything higher than 14.4VDC here with my setup but I do hear some RV Battery Systems will work with 15VDC charge voltages.

It could be the 24VDC Solar Panel DC OUTPUTS work better with SOLAR CONTROLLER but to me the final DC output going to the RV Battery setup should remain at 12VDC so that you can utilize all of the working elements the RV TRAILERS has to use.

To me this is maybe something one would do at a Residential Facility, not a mobile RV trailer setup...

I understand a higher DC VOLTAGE will make make power better but it just flies against what we RV TRAILER types have to work with.

To me it would just add to the problems to make a 24 VOLT DC compatible with the 12VDC BATTERY Systems the RV trailer have???

Being new to all of this I am probably out in left field somewhere we these comments...

Just reading and learning for my next project of adding SOLAR PANELS to my trailer....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi tpi,

I believe solar panels work, or they don't. So long as there is an ability to exchange a non working panel I'd go on best price.

I would want as many diodes per panel as possible, and I'd probably favor Poly over Mono.

Why?

"Monocrystalline cells have a higher efficiency than polycrystalline cells due to the structure being made from one large crystal as opposed to many small ones. In addition to having an overall better efficiency, monocrystalline panels can perform up to 10% better than polycrystalline panels in high ambient temperatures."

I think the confusion about poly vs mono comes from different manufacturer quality. A good manufacturer of a poly panel is going to outperform a poor quality mono panel. In the lab with highest quality poly vs highest quality mono, mono wins. The deciding factor for a consumer is quality of manufacturing I guess...figuring out which panel has higher quality cells, be they poly or mono.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi tpi,

I believe solar panels work, or they don't. So long as there is an ability to exchange a non working panel I'd go on best price.

I would want as many diodes per panel as possible, and I'd probably favor Poly over Mono.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I bought the lowest priced 24v at the time from SB and they are doing just fine.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunate to live within an easy drive of Solar Blvd. Picking up a couple for a friend.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Hanwha 230w panel and am happy with it after a year so far. Note in the link above, they have their mp and oc numbers reversed.

Excellent price! I paid $260 for mine last year "up here" where everything costs more ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.