cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 amp shore power cord

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a Class C Tioga and I've recently had to remove my generator and had to disconnect the shore power cord from the 30 amp receptacle. I took photos before I removed the wires from the receptacle, but I am a bit confused. The shore power cord has three wires, one white, one black, and the third a light blue wire. Can someone please confirm if I can safely assume that the white wire is the neutral, the black the power, and the blue wire the ground? The reason I ask is because the wires coming out of the generator are white (neutral), black (power) and green (ground), instead of blue. I believe I can safely join the blue and the green wires, correct?
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I do not trust my memory. My Samsung is loaded with images and I can attest to the fact "It's For A Good Reason"

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
A good rule is to always tag the wires with masking tape tags with notes before disconnecting anything.

Guess he should have asked *before* disconnecting, huh?

:R

OP quote:
I took photos before I removed the wires
--------------------------------------------
This is almost comical
Even if the photos weren't good enuff, and there are only 3 wires, and the black hooks to the black, and the white hooks to the white,
how could the blue not hook to the green ??
Never mind,.....I know I'm missing something
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
A good rule is to always tag the wires with masking tape tags with notes before disconnecting anything.

Guess he should have asked *before* disconnecting, huh?

:R

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Not sarcasm but don't ever buy anything from China. Color coding is just like asking for "Soup Of The Day".

"Oooooo pretty! Let's use these!"

If you can find Marks-A-Lot genuine stain marking pen, it will penetrate wire insulation. This stuff stinks but it would turn blue to green, and hand's flesh tone to Martian.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Take a multimeter and check the blue wire for continuity with the ground pin of the plug. That way, you will KNOW!

ScottG wrote:
No need to meter anything out. I 'know" the blue wire is ground.

Personally, I 'know" the blue wire is ground also. I suggested metering for the OP's peace of mind.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your fast responses.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No need to meter anything out. I 'know" the blue wire is ground.

MrWizard
chances are the light blue, is a color fade, and yes its really is the ground wire
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a multimeter and check the blue wire for continuity with the ground pin of the plug. That way, you will KNOW!
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:
you are correct

X2.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you are correct