cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp cords

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
When I connect my 50 amp cord to my 50 amp extension cord, I have a heck of a time getting them apart. Anyone know of a way to make that easier?
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF
27 REPLIES 27

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Maybe some dilectric grease on the prongs, but you really want the connection tight. If it's loose you run the risk of arcing and resistance heat buildup and possible plug failure, i.e. melting.

So time to hit the gym and build up those pecs. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder, I'm an old guy, more mature(73) but not weak. I have old mans' skin and it isn't pretty when wearรฌng a muscle shirt.:B I was still pushing weights but my shoulder screwed up and I'm awaiting an MRI. I guess a screw driver with hydro( a Canadian thing) shut off. Mex, I`m going to check on the dielectric grease when I finish up here. I don`t have handles so that's out. Thanks everybody...maybe I`ll hire a young guy to pull them apart.:R Stay safe all. Bob
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
While the dielectric grease may make it easier to get apart it actually hurts your electrical connection. Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity.

Fortunately this is a myth.

Prove me wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

Go out to your rig yank the battery cables. Gob the grease on. Then put the cables back on, hit the starter. Again. Again. Twenty times. Then grab a brewski and wander around for the rest of the day scratching your head. A year later you'll remain wondering how and why.

Theory always takes a slapping when it faces practical experience.

From Encyclopedia Britannica
Dielectric, insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material. Instead, electric polarization occurs. The positive charges within the dielectric are displaced minutely in the direction of the electric field, and the negative charges are displaced minutely in the direction opposite to the electric field. This slight separation of charge, or polarization, reduces the electric field within the dielectric.
Yes the grease can be forced out from between tight fitting connections and electricity will still flow.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
While the dielectric grease may make it easier to get apart it actually hurts your electrical connection. Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity.

Prove me wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

Go out to your rig yank the battery cables. Gob the grease on. Then put the cables back on, hit the starter. Again. Again. Twenty times. Then grab a brewski and wander around for the rest of the day scratching your head. A year later you'll remain wondering how and why.

It takes no effort to prove it doens't conduct electricity. Simply stick the leads of an ohm meter in it and measure.
Besides, "Dielectric" letterally means that it doesn't conduct.
I made thousands of dollars off guys that slathered that stuff on connections in avaiation. I have no doubt in my mind that it causes the problems.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
frank-2 wrote:
l use a flat screwdriver to seperate them all the time

X2
Turn off power of course!! :B

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace with better ends.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Prove me wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

We don't have to "prove" anything.
Look it up.

Your experience proves exactly NOTHING.....except maybe that doing something wrong can sometimes work by accident.

The odds of it working OK depend largely on the design of the connection points. Low current connections where one side is sharp and "bites" into the other side often will not care what you put on them. Wide, flat high current connections, however, have no biting action (or very little) and after a time will NOT like having insulating grease in there.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:

Yes. Dielectric grease is an INSULATOR and is not intended to be put on conducting surfaces. It is intended to be packed AROUND a connection after it is already plugged together to keep out dirt and moisture. Even using it that way is NOT good for connections that are often unplugged.

They make conductive grease that has a high graphite content.

But just spraying a little silicone lube on the pins might help a little. They really do NEED to be tight.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Prove me wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Maybe some dilectric grease on the prongs, but you really want the connection tight. If it's loose you run the risk of arcing and resistance heat buildup and possible plug failure, i.e. melting.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I watched a guy pull his apart last fall with a pretty good method. The female end had a handle on the back. He had a nylon strap looped through the handle and he put his foot in the strap and pushed it down while pulling up on the plug. Looked much easier than pull apart with your hands.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

frank-2
Explorer
Explorer
l use a flat screwdriver to seperate them all the time

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sometimes need to use a flat blade screwdriver to seperate them. but PLUG DOGS. these are nylon wrappers that go around the plug. alas, that does not help on the outlet end.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"