cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner ......Musty Smell

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Each day when we first start the air conditioner there is a musty smell for the first 5 minutes or so. The air conditioner is roof mounted with about 12 ceiling ducted outlets. The filter on the AC is clean and the roof coils are clean.

Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this posting and looking forward to some interesting solutions.
10 REPLIES 10

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple Green is alkaline and corrosive to raw aluminum. Their own website says to not keave it on raw aluminum more than 20 seconds.

Coleman recommends 409. Made mine look like new.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bill/Diana wrote:
Will coil cleaner have an affect on the rubber roof?

I cleaned several big AC units that were on top of a store I managed and it had a white membrane type roof on it. I didn't see any staining or damage.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Will coil cleaner have an affect on the rubber roof?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Right, well I've had just the opposite results with my home AC. 409, Simple green only get it so far. The pro came out with his stuff and it looked like new afterwards.
I used the stuff from ACE HW to clean our buildings units with same result. Went form totally clogged to like new with the good stuff.
YMMV.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The coil cleaner was $7.50 a can. I bought two cans and it didn't touch it. It would have taken 6-8 cans.

409 which is recommended by the OEM worked great for $3.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I suggest coil cleaner which you can get at Ace HW and perhaps Home Depot.
The reason I suggest it is because it is stronger and slightly etches the aluminum to get it clean. It's not expensive either.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
You have to get on the roof and remove the outside housing and then remove a piece of sheet metal , the angled piece on the front. The evaporator coils will be covered in mildewed gunk. Put towels on the floor and towels around the edges. With a hose, 409 cleaner and a paint brush that you cut the bristles short, spray, brush, rinse repeat until clean.

Then wash your RV as there will be tons of black ccrrapp running down the sides..

Don't waste your money on coil cleaner.

Hey "Big"....

Thanks for the info. I'll do that when we get home. This will be our last night in Umatilla as we head north tomorrow. Thanks again.

Bill

PS....How are the plays at that little playhouse in Deland?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to get on the roof and remove the outside housing and then remove a piece of sheet metal , the angled piece on the front. The evaporator coils will be covered in mildewed gunk. Put towels on the floor and towels around the edges. With a hose, 409 cleaner and a paint brush that you cut the bristles short, spray, brush, rinse repeat until clean.

Then wash your RV as there will be tons of black ccrrapp running down the sides..

Don't waste your money on coil cleaner.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Well...lets put it this way...removed the shroud and cleaned everything I could see.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When you say roof coils are clean - does that include the evaporator coil (usually overlooked)?
Kevin