Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air in water coming out of sink

revrider87
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.
Newbie here. So if I posted this in the wrong spot please just let me know.
An ways I have a Viking popup with an electric water pump. I had my dealer winterize it last winter and I opened it up for the first time this summer. Everything looked good at first glance.
I filled the holding tank and drained it to rinse it out. I then filled it again and wanted to run water through the pump. I turned it on the pump runs and water comes out but so does a lot of air. Then eventually the pump continues to run very softly like it never fully builds up the pressure. If I fill the tank until it spits out and then turn the pump on it works good for about a gallon or so then starts to spit and sputter with a ton of air in the lines. Any suggestions? I really don't want to bring it to the dealer if there is a simple fix or something im missing like a way to bleed the system of the air. I'm pretty handy and want to learn more about this system but this is my first camper so please bear with me.
Thanks for any ideas provided.
11 REPLIES 11

revrider87
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks for the suggestions. Yes it happens for both hot and cold. I only have one sink so I'll check it out thanks

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I'll add a few more suggestions and a question.

Check for a winterizing valve and hose by the pump. This hose is used to shut off the tank and suck antifreeze out of a bottle. Try sticking a piece of tape over the end of the open hose and see if the pump behavior changes.

Unscrew all the faucet aerators and try running the faucets again to purge the air. I had a plugged aerator once and the pump would run constantly but really low and slow so I could hardly hear it.

Is the behavior the same for hot water as for cold water?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Your pump is filling the water heater. The air in the empty water heater is being displaced by the incoming water. The open faucet is the only place for the air to escape.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
here is something that nobody has said yet are you sure the water tank is getting full the reason i say that is because sometimes when you fill the tank the hose pressure is so great that it is not letting the air out of the tank and it appears that the tank is full because water comes back out the fill hole check the vent line coming off the tank to make sure it is not kinked then fill the tank slowly and make sure all the winteriziton valves are open or closed which ever the case maybe
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possible issues:
Partially opened tank outlet valve or clogged tank outlet strainer.

Loose clamp on any hose on the pump INTAKE side

Pin hole in any hose pump inlet side. (very low probability)

**SUSPECT #1** Pump inlet strainer NOT properly closed, or cracked due to not being properly drained. (Easily replaced).

Loose screws on pump housing allowing it to suck air (And I might add spit out water)

The above list is in water flow order.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are sucking air.
Check the suction side of pump......the suction line from fresh water tank to pump, any fittings, any valves not properly closed (winterizing valve), pump suction strainer, pump fittings.

You are sucking air
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

revrider87
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ill give it a try and let you know.

travisej
Explorer
Explorer
I know when i fill up my tank, I crack open all of the hot side faucets, sink and bath, as well as the pressure release on the water heater. when the tank is about half full i turn on the pump. As the WH tank fills it will start to flow out of the release valve so i close it after a few seconds. Then i go inside and wait for the kitchen faucet to start to flow as it is closest to the water heater. Usually it will sputter for a min or so. When its done sputtering i close it and move on to the next until all are done.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Normal it will go away on its own
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I usually start bleeding off the air from the farthest faucet from the pump to the closest. On my RV, the farthest is the outside shower. I open both the hot and cold knobs until the air stops. Then I progress to the next closest. That usually does the trick for me.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Check the connection on the inlet side of the pump. Sounds like it is loose and sucking air. Or, a hole in the hose between the tank and pump. Also, sometimes it is hard to get all the air out of the line. Open all faucets and let the pump run. This seems to help get the air out.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel