cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have any experience with this inverter.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
My Xantrex Prosine 2.0 has died. This is the second one in 8 years. Don't have a lot of room so I am looking for a 2KW PSW inverter/charger with Minimum 50 Amp up to 100 Amp battery charger. (4 GCs at the moment)

This one does not have the programmable settings that the Xantrex has but for the price

will this one do a reasonable job?
14 REPLIES 14

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 watt Samlex PSW as well, it's great. I don't use it that often any more, but we used to use it a lot to power the microwave for our daughter's bottles when dry camping. Now she's grown out of that and we don't need much AC power, but it still works great and it hasn't had a single problem in the 4 years we've owned it. It has a fan and a remote and has been quite happy mounted in our cargo bay near the battery box.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small (300 or 400 watt) AIMS pure sine inverter to run CPAPS in our last TT. I wired it up and tested it using a 100-watt incandescent bulb as a load. It immediately released the smoke! After much hassle, I was able to return it for a refund.

Bought a Samlex PSW inverter of the same size. Perfect! I wish I had held onto it when I sold the TT. It would be useful for small loads, rather than running the 2000 watt Heart that consumes 2 amps at no load.

If I were to buy another PSW inverter, it would probably be another Samlex.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
As for the separate components (also recommended by Xantrex when talking with them when this first failed) the lack of space would mean extremely long cables.
Why?

I would bolt the 2000w GoPower sine wave inverter to the bottom of the shelf(more air space), transfer switch and 90 amp IOTA converter on top of the shelf. Probably use existing battery cables. Rest of the wire is low cost romex.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even a muffin fan blowing into that compartment would help a lot. Best orientation, on floor of shelf blowing in. A 2-watt 120 vac fan would work miracles. With a switch of course. Use an IR gun for a thermal scan at max expected output wattage. A real eye-opener even with a wide-open door compartment.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even a muffin fan blowing into that compartment would help a lot. Best orientation, on floor of shelf blowing in. A 2-watt 120 vac fan would work miracles. With a switch of course.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Sorry I have no experience with AIMS inverter.

Does it still look like this? Yes I believe some consideration should be given for more ventilation.

I understand the appeal of the all in one. However my preference is for separate components.

Yes, pretty much though I have since added a solar controller! Yep. More heat. HOWEVER when we are parked, especially in Mexico, I leave the door open. The extra cords and such are now stored elsewhere.

I have some concerns with venting that compartment re ingress of moisture to the electrical compartment. Perhaps a couple of marine type vents, as seen on pleasure boats, in the door might do the job.

As for the separate components (also recommended by Xantrex when talking with them when this first failed) the lack of space would mean extremely long cables.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
Sorry no experience on that specific inverter
Have dealt with that resale Store and had several good experiences

Did you have any luck trying to get it repaired?
I have lots of parts for those old Prosine units

No one locally wants to touch it. I wish we had been able to drop it off at your place but we had some rig problems and needed to get home.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No.

If you want stand alone, I'd go to the Pro-watt. Randy at bestconverter sells the 2K for $347.50

The other route I'd suggest is upping the anti to 3000 watts and going to the hybrid Magnum 3012. The best price is at Imarine.

The hybrid allows load support to be used.

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:

This one does not have the programmable settings that the Xantrex has but for the price

will this one do a reasonable job?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
With inverters I bit the bullet, lived on tortillas and salt, saved my money and purchased a Trace way back when, then a Samlex PSW. Nothing is more miserable than an inverter failure down here. They cost 150 - 170% more in Mexico and 99% of the more common ones are pure junk. I have a porch full of gutted inverters and are using the cases for LED heat sinks.

If you are ventilating your compartment adequately consider modifying the inverter with a -pusher- fan to help the exhaust fan. If space permits, orient the pusher so that it ventilates the entire case. Adding a pusher fan dramatically lowered temps in my Trace.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've known only one RVer to report on Aims, and it wasn't good. And for that price I'd be suspicious.

These posts have AIMS in them. Peruse these posts for various comments.

Also, Handy Bob's solar page has not so good things to say. I use Ctrl-F, then keyword=Aims to find them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry no experience on that specific inverter
Have dealt with that resale Store and had several good experiences

Did you have any luck trying to get it repaired?
I have lots of parts for those old Prosine units

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
That Aims inverter/charger does look nice on paper.
The charger section includes a temperature probe and many charge profiles.
It includes a transfer switch.

And the price is right. Prolly cheaper than what I paid in total for my 1000W inverter, transfer switch and charger, which were bought and installed separately.

But in my case, one minor problem might be location: I want the charger/inverter close to the batts, but the shore power input and 120VAC fuse box is far away. Easier for me if the transfer switch could be placed near the 120VAC stuff.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry I have no experience with AIMS inverter.

Does it still look like this? Yes I believe some consideration should be given for more ventilation.

I understand the appeal of the all in one. However my preference is for separate components.

MrWizard
Limited space ?

is it ventilated ?
do you think maybe they are becoming damaged from overheating ?

a Fan on an inverter doesn't help much, if NO fresh air can get into the cabinet

the heated air in the space has too be allowed to get out, otherwise its just a low temp slow cook oven
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s