cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Here Have Experience With Insulation AEROGEL?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
From Wikipedia

High R value insulation

Vacuum insulated panels have the highest R-value, approximately R-45 (in U.S. units) per inch;

Aerogel has the next highest R-value (about R-10 to R-30 per inch), followed by

Polyurethane (PUR) and phenolic foam insulations with R-7 per inch. ...

Snow is roughly R-1 per inch.
6 REPLIES 6

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
In applications like aviation where size & weight is critical spendy stuff is justified.

In most other instances it doesnโ€™t really matter if R-45 is 1โ€ or 4โ€ thick. Cost usually matters though.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Newer made in Mexico TORREY freezers. Exposed condensers. The Mexicans haen't learned to be stupid yet.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Are these old fashioned chest freezers, the kind with exposed coils? I recently bought a tiny 5cu ft and found the coils embedded into the walls, which seems counter productive.

Condenser coils that is, the ones that get hot during operation
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Probably silicon so as to not be electrically conductive.

Going to wrap (4) 26 cubic foot chest freezers then foam what little the sheet cannot cover. May even do the headliner, doors, floor and behind the back seat in the toad. I have sticky mirror cutouts for the glass.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I fantasized about it. It is mass produced now, in roll and sheet form. No idea on cost.

Silicon or carbon aerogel?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last I heard aerogel is exceptionally expensive. I haven't heard that it made it's way into a commercial product. It can be used in industrial/scientific applications where the cost can be handled.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper