cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood H20 Heater wont pass water

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Havent used it for about 2-months and now at new RV site it wont allow water to move.

The gas thermo flame comes on and stays. It seemed to work after I hooked it to this sites water valve after it heated water but now it does not work.

Just wont allow water to pass thru it when I move faucets to warm position. Cold water flows great.

This RV site seems to have high water pressure but not sure if that would stop the flow somehow.

Its on 2000 Minnie Winnie

My Minnie Winnie Water Heater

1. Model - G6A - 8E 6.2 Gal

2. Spec # - 2280SD

3. Ser # - 96228068688

Does this condition ring sound familier to anyone out there?

RR
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our previous Coachmen coach had a spring clip mounted decorative panel that concealed the back of the water heater. There was nothing visible to indicate that the panel was removable. I discovered it when I removed a drawer above the heater to repair its slide.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
shouldn't be that hard to find the access. You know where the water heater is on the outside. Go to that location on the inside. If there are drawers or a cabinet door there open them and look. If not there should be a panel with screws that you can take out.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
How you get to the back varies model to model. Some have an access panel, some are visible behind a cabinet door. I would call customer service with your VIN or Winnebago ID number. They may be able to tell you how to see the back of the water heater.

I'll do some investigation and then call Winnebago if needed.

Tanks

RR

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
How you get to the back varies model to model. Some have an access panel, some are visible behind a cabinet door. I would call customer service with your VIN or Winnebago ID number. They may be able to tell you how to see the back of the water heater.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
For winterizing Winnebago typically uses one diverter valve and two check valves - one on the input line and one on the output line.
If yours is like that this drawing I made shows how it is set up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/ClayL/Winnebagowaterheaterplumbingdiagram.png

Clay - That wld allow me to determine if problem is the hot out valve but getting to it to replace it alludes me so far.

Mounted on the slide out and looks like behind stove or sink area..

OR,...does one just undo all the screws holding it in and slide it out?

Thanks

Rr

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
For winterizing Winnebago typically uses one diverter valve and two check valves - one on the input line and one on the output line.
If yours is like that this drawing I made shows how it is set up.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks schlep....assuming I have the bypass valve.

However, I have never accessed the rear of the hot water tank.

RR

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Simple test. Change your valves back to the bypass position. If you now have water at your hot water valves, odds are it is your check valve. Happened on mine last year. The insides of the valve broke allowing the insides to slide out until it hit a 90 degree bend about 1 inch outside the water heater. Then it became a plug.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Possible there is something lodged in the hot side of the faucet. Parts of a rubber washer from somewhere in the system. I've run into something like that, couple times, in SB houses.

Maybe, an internal filter in the faucet. Had one in a TT that plugged up with sand.

Maybe, a bi-pass valve got turned to wrong direction.

Maybe, the check valve, noted above.

Not a lot of possibilities, but, the few listed, can be a pain to troubleshoot.

Hot side water will not flow from any faucet I try. Cold does at each faucet.

Since water flows from hot side even when cold, gotta be that hot side "discharge valve".

i stayed at Al Oak Mnt Park for a month w/i using the hotwater tank. Maybe the cold got to it somehow.

Note the jeating furnace blows air to the water tank areas. But,..I mostly used elec heaters and not the furnace while there. Saved on having to keep getting propane.

There is a "elec option" heating element I read about..A kit..Stink I'm gonna install that before too long.

Thanks

RR

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possible there is something lodged in the hot side of the faucet. Parts of a rubber washer from somewhere in the system. I've run into something like that, couple times, in SB houses.

Maybe, an internal filter in the faucet. Had one in a TT that plugged up with sand.

Maybe, a bi-pass valve got turned to wrong direction.

Maybe, the check valve, noted above.

Not a lot of possibilities, but, the few listed, can be a pain to troubleshoot.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
j-d & CR; I'll try that if I can get to it.

I replaced the press valve last summer.

Havta search where the inside/back of the tank is accessible.

Question search on web said 3-valves are there and I have the schematics and parts list.

Thanks for the help.

RR

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We had that happen to us. Jammed check valve.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on how it's plumbed for winterization, your water heater could have a Check Valve on the hot water discharge side. That valve could have fallen apart. Since it's a Winnebago product, you should be able to look up a parts breakdown on the web and see if it uses a check valve.

This is a brass one from Camco sold as Amazon Prime "add-on item" for under $5. Notice the directional flow arrows stamped into it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB