cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad time for Fridge to quit

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday the DW was walking by the MH and she heard a hissing sound. I could barely hear it but I barely hear anyway. I went inside and the freezer was at 0 degrees as it usually is. I Ignored the sound, saying that the heating unit was probably starting up.

This morning I decided to wash the MH because we are going for seven days on our next trip. We are going to Jackson California, which is usually very hot during July. As I was rinsing the side with the fridge, I noticed "yellow" water dripping from the grill. I pulled the grill and wiped up alot of yellow water, and rinsed again. More yellow water.

I opened the door to the MH and walked inside. It smelled like dead fish inside. When I opened the Freezer door, the temp was now 10 degrees above 0. So it turns out, the cooling unit is kaput. My RV guy can't get a new one until middle of next week and then it needs to be installed.

So DW and I went to Costco and bought a small portable Fridge to use for 7 days. We certainly won't be able to take all the food we usually have, so I guess it will be daily shopping while we are gone. Oh Well, I guess 10 years plugged in isn't too bad.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy
10 REPLIES 10

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
it was plugged in for ten yrs??? I'm surprised it lasted that long.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
Just an UPDATE.

I took the MH in to have the cooling unit replaced. They put it in but there were still other problems. A week before they received the new cooling unit, I went in and asked them if it would be better just get a new refer. Well they finally put a new one in. They installed a Norcold instead of the Dometic. When I got it home, I put the temp controller on 9 to make sure that it would be cold. When I checked it, the Freezer was 20 degrees BELOW zero and the Frig was 20 degrees. I have finally lower the cooling number to 3 and it seems to be much better. Still a little cold but not a Deep Freeze. The Dometic would never get below 0 degrees in the Freezer. It was 10 years old.

This is what I am wondering: This was one of the Dometics had a recall several years ago because of fire damage concerns. They installed some guard around the gas burner to keep a fire from spreading. I wonder how many other of these Dometics are going to spring a leak and have to be replaced. Dometic should have replaced at the get-go.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
That new little fridge will come in very handy as an outside fridge
in the basement when all is fixed.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge in our first RV was old and flaky. Talking about the FRIDGE, not the RV's owners... The thing's essentially an Ice Chest, Plus a Cooling Unit, Plus Controls. That's why an otherwise good fridge is salvageable with a Cooling Unit, but my point here is that it's also an ICE CHEST. There was a place in town where we could get a block of Dry Ice. That, in one of the Crisper Bins, lasted a long weekend. If you have a source for BLOCK Ice, you can hold your food for several days on a Block or two. Cubed, Chipped, etc. Ice won't hold up.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
It is never a "good" time for it to fail.

At least you were not out on the road, in the middle of nowhere.

When ours failed my wife noted that I was not even upset. In a way, I was glad to get rid of that potential fire hazard, piece of junk that the maker would not fix properly. As another poster noted: Band Aid on a compound fracture.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read through that sticky about Dometic Recall (and probably the Norcold one) and you'll see they felt no obligation to replace the faulty cooling units, only to try and keep fire from spreading. Band-Aid also hides a Compound Fracture.

You can get a New or Reman or Modified Cooling Unit and many are happy with the results of a DIY install. Having a tech install one probably approaches the cost of a new fridge.

There IS a condition where changing only the Cooling Unit could make sense. In some RVs, the Fridge won't readily come out, since it was in place before Walls went on, Windows went in, etc. Cooling Unit CAN be changed by pulling the fridge and work on it inside the coach.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Moved from Forum Technical Support

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
I had the recall work done a couple of years ago. They installed a sheet metal plate around the burner so it wouldn't catch fire, but did not do any replacement of the cooling tubes.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same thing....got a little dorm fridge, and also used a cooler.

Check to see if your fridge is covered by any recall. I had a new cooling unit installed for free! I did have to pay for a new circuit board, since that wasn't part of the recall.
Go to the mfgr's site to see if your unit is covered.

I had the little dorm fridge held onto the galley table with a ratchet-type cargo strap:) It worked great! And you start to figure what you really need to have refrigerated, because of the limited space.

Happy Cammping:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you are lucky it did not catch fire