cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Cabinet Latch

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
The medicine cabinet in the rear bathroom of our tt has a magnet type latch on it that when traveling, always lets the door open.. I am tired of the DW using Duct Tape to keep it closed every time we move the trailer.. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a better replacement latch or something to keep the door closed when traveling?
5 REPLIES 5

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
The medicine cabinet in the rear bathroom of our tt has a magnet type latch on it that when traveling, always lets the door open.. I am tired of the DW using Duct Tape to keep it closed every time we move the trailer.. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a better replacement latch or something to keep the door closed when traveling?

You might want to look at my remedy which is posted in the Do It Yourself Modifications section of the forum and it listed as Keeping cabinets and drawers locked while traveling. Found these at Babies R Us.

Kenny

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, a lot of off the wall ideas for a simple problem :h .

The REAL way is to use a ROLLER "CATCH" (the item you are looking for is called a catch, not a latch).

YOU CAN FIND HERE

Guaranteed to NEVER, EVER fly open again...

Be prepared, they might be small but they pack a huge holding power punch (make sure your face is not close to your arm when opening :S )!

That type of catch was used in my Dad's 1960's truck camper and we never had a door open ever.

Solved all my door latch problems.. I used them in both of my TT rebuilds with success.

Cheap also at under $1 each! :B

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did have to change the passage way door catch to a magnet type, because every time we parked and levelled the trailer, the stupid door/doorway latch parts would not line up right. A magnet with a wide plate works every time.

A cabinet door is so small, a twist in the trailer when parked should not be an issue, so you could use the latches all our cabinets have;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cabinet+latch&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9UwRU5a5NoLDoASD3IHY...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried bungee cords? ๐Ÿ˜‰ We had to do that on our pantry door in our rear kitchen... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Actually, there is a heavy duty latch here: cabinet latch Have not seen it in person, but at $10 per each, it must be good. I'm going to try one on our pantry door.

Those magnetic catches are rather weak to start with. We wanted to use them in place of the "standard" ones used like BFL13 has in his link on our new TT. The dealer was going to replace them all for us on doors and drawers but they found they were far too weak so we left them alone. For a small medicine cab. door it should be fine.

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try just adding an additional magnet kit, it might be just enough to keep it closed.
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)