cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries have quite a gurgle

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have this vision of small bubbles floating to the surface as the battery creates some gas while charging. Mine seem to produce a large gurgle. It would seem a lot of gas is trapped and then makes its way to the surface. Can really hear it plain and clear as if a large bubble forms below the plates and releases when bumped or disturbed.

These are vintage 11 year old Costco GC2 batteries. I assume should be replaced.

Anyone experience this? I believe it has been going on for at least a year.
24 REPLIES 24

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If their capacity is still good, and they are not gassing excessively.....to the point of accumulating acid and corrosion on the terminals, I would see how long they will really go.
I really don't know if my 6'ers "gurgle" or not, but if they do, its working for me ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Id try to get a couple more years out of them.
Dennis Hoppert

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 4 1/2' year old Interstate GC2 batteries began excessive bubbling and gurgling under charge when they started going bad. I am truly surprised you got 11 years out of your batteries. I often wonder if people with such batteries for so many years are even using a fraction of the rated capacity of those batteries. I'd be surprised if 11 year old batteries even had as much as half their new capacity rating.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
These are vintage 11 year old Costco GC2 batteries. I assume should be replaced.
Yeah, probably.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
batteries can bubble a little while charging ,BUT yours sound like there boiling?
Not really boiling. And I have seen boiling. It is a large release of gas all at once as if it was trapped for a period and then released.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The screwy31 gurgled every single comlpete recharge and lasted nearly 500 deep cycles. Likely has another shallow 100 cycles accumulated since. Still gurgles when up in the 14.5+ range.

Not something I stress about.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a brand new one which was actually boiling...also, the battery sides were very hot. Defective battery. In your case, IMO, 11 years a long run....

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My U-2200s used to gurgle like that, so I don't know if that is a sign they are near death, but those U-2200s were near death, so maybe?

ISTR more gassing is a sign of "age" but how much is too much? No idea.

You have so much solar that IMO you have been riding on solar with weak batteries for a while now and not seeing it, because the solar is doing the work, and you don't use much 12v overnight when solar is not helping.

I think you know that. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway you got your money's worth from those batts, so just go and get some more of those nice 232s from Sam's or Costco at their insane low prices and carry on for another ten years or so ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
11 yerars! That's great but time to replace.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
batteries can bubble a little while charging ,BUT yours sound like there boiling?