cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery disconnect

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Jayco Seismic toy hauler 4212. I turned off the battery disconnect but the lights inside stay on. We then turned off the circuit breakers and still the lights are on. Is there another switch? Can the battery disconnect be malfunctioning?

It is solar prep but we have not installed solar. Whenever we use it after storage, the batteries (4) are completely discharged. If anyone can recommend a particular solar panel to keep the batteries charged while in storage it will be really appreciated.

โš Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC
13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure about 2017 but 2016 Jayco 5th wheels had a recall/TSB on miswired Disconnect switch. It allowed what is happening to you. BUT, correctly wired and turned OFF and plugged into Shore Power the lights WILL stay on and the 12 volt side will have power. Doug

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Self Explanatory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
FORUMS PROBLEM REPORTING has too many letters?

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your quick informative responses. Since the unit is still under warranty, I will add it to the other items that need correcting.

As to posting on the Technical Support Forum, no,I was not aware. I figured I needed technical support.

To D.B. Thank you for your advise. Not wishing to be ridiculed, lots of members do not post. I guess some responders feel better doing it that way than to use the private message method to correct.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer your question about a solar charger but I think that before you try using a solar charging system that you should fix the problem with the disconnect.

First off you need to find the disconnect relay and toggle it(turn it on and off). If there isn't any click when you turn it on, you have found the problem and you need to determine if the switch is working. Use a trouble light, buzzer or DMM to see if turning on the switch sends power to the relay coil. If there is power to the coil and still no click, you most likely have found the problem.

If you are familiar with electrical trouble shooting to done all this, go ahead and replace the relay, if you're nervous about doing more either ask for additional help or get a mechanic to replace it for you.

Once you have the relay working, look into solar charging.

There is a ton of information here in the forums and on line sites like youtube where you can learn how to repair a lot of simple things, things like a disconnect relay. There are also quite a few members of these forums that will more than willing to help. Don't be concerned about criticism, some guys are a little abrupt but really want to help, just ask.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The single throw disconnects work well. The "Twist on Twist off" cheapo disconnects from Walmart are not nearly as reliable. They work for the on part but may not always disconnect completely. A quick test is to see if the lights go out.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
What type of battery disconnect do you have?

Some/many rigs come with an intellitec battery disconnect solenoid which has a couple of fuses on it. If those fuses blow then the battery disconnect doesn't work. Easy to check.
Kevin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes the battery switch is malfunctioning or wired wrong. Possibly a warranty item.

For the effort of solar I recommend at least 100 watts.

https://www.solarblvd.com/product-category/solar-panels-systems/12-volt-solar-kits/

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Moderator notified.
???
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 2oldman. I have this set up on my 5th wheel and it shuts off power. Just be sure the power cord from the tow vehicle is disconnected . ..Jim2007...
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Moderator notified.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will stop the battery drain. I have no idea why your disconnect isn't working.

20 demerits for Senior posting in FTS.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Are you plugged into shore power ???
Dennis Hoppert