cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bearings on Tow Dolly. Where to get? Any tips?

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone who has done this tell me if you can pick up bearings for a tow dolly at the local auto parts store? Or is this something that I have to go to the trailer dealer to get?

Also, is there a number somewhere on the actual bearing that would tell me the size? Or do I need to take the old ones with me when getting new ones?

I am somewhat handy and planning to do this myself. Have never done this so any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. Now to get my hands dirty.

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"
11 REPLIES 11

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good question, Why do you need Bearings?

If you've opened up and the bearings aren't damaged or discolored, all you need is new axle seals. They should have a number on them too, likely matching the "National" or "Chicago" maybe "Victor" brands.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
We had a place called Dizxie bearing and they could cross reference or just go to the back room and produce the bearing you need.

No trying to be offensive but I believe that is Dixie Bearing.:) Motion Industries is also a national chain. OP, check any business that you see that has trailers for sale. Most will have what you need.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you replacing the bearings?

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Larger towns have a place that sell nothing but belts and hoses and bearings. If the bearings you have, have a number on them, they can get you the bearings you need. The bearings in your dolly are used in hundreds of other pieces of equipment.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of Parts stores carried a variety of bearings. Some still do but have to cross refernce with the computer. If the bearing shell has a number it is easier. We had a place called Dizxie bearing and they could cross reference or just go to the back room and produce the bearing you need. They come in so many sizes no oddballs that they can usually locate it by experience. A bunch of chinese bearings on everything from lawn mowers to RV trailers to boat trailers, especially are crappy chinese. The shells are a disgrace to engineering let alon construction, Some of the bearings are not uniform and some I've seen came with defect in the roller such as hairline cracks and flaking plating.
Have them replace them with American made bearings.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Take them into any good auto parts store and they can cross the numbers on them. I've had to do that on Sunday afternoon on the road. And, I take care of them but stuff happens.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Google "Berry Bearing" or look in your yellow pages.

They have stores all over the country.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a KarKaddy go to there web and they have a full parts list and 800 number.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
If this is your first time packing wheel bearings, make sure that when you re-install them you don't overtighten them!

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any NAPA or bearing store will have them. In the yellow pages look under Bearings, or automotive / equipment parts and then bearings.

You should take the P/Ns with you or call them first. Or you need the mfg and capacity of the axles. They need something to go by, but the're readily available. Then get a pint of axle grease.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look in your phone phone book for a company called Bearings and Drives or something like that. There should be one in any medium sized city or larger. Take the bearing to them and they can find a replacement.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper