cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake Controllers

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Is it as simple to install a brake controller as they say it is on their websites? All you gotta do is mount the controller, and plug in the car maker specific harness to it and the harness under the dash? That's it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
13 REPLIES 13

cpeters
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2013 FORD F150 (STX).. want to move my prodigy brake controller from the 2006 Nissan Frontier.. Will I need a new wiring adapter? Prodigy website is kinda hard to understand.. and not getting any response from customer support. they list several wiring adapters.. but unable to find one for my new truck. thanks for your help.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
took me 5 minutes to install my P3 ... after spending an hour under the dash trying to find the dang factory plug!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
It's a 2013 Ford Explorer with tow package. From what I read on a couple of sites that was there all was to it. I just want to be sure.

My qusetion. What kind of tow capacity do the new Expes have? I have read it is in the 5000lb range. But have seen nothing definate. Cool good lookin vehicles

Depends on the model...Ours is 5000lbs.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
It's a 2013 Ford Explorer with tow package. From what I read on a couple of sites that was there all was to it. I just want to be sure.

Yes that's all there is to it if you have the tow package on your Expy. Get the part number for your pigtail (Tekonsha site again) and you're plug and play. Others can chime in here if there's some fuse or somesuch that you need to install on the Fords. I don't know that part. On Tundras, the plug in for the pigtail is tucked in behind the driver's side kick panel, which you have to pop out to access it, which accounted for most of the work. Fords might be easier.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Its that easy. Even have pre wired that work with all Tekonsha controllers.

Ford Explorer 2011-2013, Brake Control Wiring Adapter by Tekonsha®
Brand: Tekonsha Part Number: 3035 Price: 9.96
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:

With the tow package / 7 pin on the rear. Yep it is that easy. In the Expe, either in the console, dash, or jack compartment. there should be a wiring harness. It connects to a matching harness located under the dash in front of the driver.
The other end you just hook to the corresponding wires from the back of the brake controler. I did mine at the table, and then just plugged it in. If needed, there should also be a relay in the package to plug into the fuse box.

Hardest part is finding a good place to mount the controler. In my Expe I put it on the same bracket, as the dag port. In the 150. It is beside the console supports. Yours will be different from either.

My qusetion. What kind of tow capacity do the new Expes have? I have read it is in the 5000lb range. But have seen nothing definate. Cool good lookin vehicles
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
It was that easy on mine. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't know what vehicle you're talking about, but you can go to the Tekonsha website and see if the pigtail is available for your vehicle. Pretty simple job with the pigtail.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
Is it as simple to install a brake controller as they say it is on their websites? All you gotta do is mount the controller, and plug in the car maker specific harness to it and the harness under the dash? That's it?

Yes a lot of them are that way if the don't have the factor brake controller
But also you might have to add the fuse or fuses to you fuse box to power these wires.
Chevy you have to hook up two wires under the hood by the fuse box. just depends on the year they are all different
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
On my 06 F150 with towing package that was the case. I suspect that's not always the case.

Doug

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
depends- Mine had a factory harness under the dash- all I did was order the Ford pigtail with the controller and it was plug & play.

Look under the dash- do you see a plug with about 8 pins hanging?

From what I understand this became common with factory tow packages prior to integrated controllers.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
depends on what vehicle you're putting it into.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes