cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breaktrough in solar

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Siemans backed Semprius has developed a new solar module that is the new top dog in efficiencty at 33.9%.
Production started last September in Henderson North Caroilna, after extensive testing was completed in Tucson AZ.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad
46 REPLIES 46

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot that can be done to improve solar panels. I've always wondered about building a voltage controller in each panel, so if one cell out of 20 is shaded completely, it means you get 19/20 the energy, not less than 1/2 as it stands now with conventional panels.

Another innovation I'm probably going to see are cells fashioned in small grooves which will help with getting rid of heat as well as catching light from the angles.

In some ways, it can be tough to make a one size fits all panel... the best solar panel for collecting direct light may not be as good as a panel made for collecting diffused light in shady conditions.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
HI-TECH,

3D Solar, looks like PV Solar has only dipped it's big toe in the water! Thanks for the link.

O&S

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
More solar announcements.

I suspect the anti-reflection coating is to address reflection losses when the panels are not aimed at the sun.

This one is REALLY slick system design, with a total of 86% efficiency! It both harvests energy in terms of heat from a PV, *and* pulls the PV down to run in a more efficient thermal range.

I can see PT running a system like this!

๐Ÿ™‚

Jim

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Funtime,

Need more funtime. I like it!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Don I trained to become a concert pianist for almost 20 years. Favorite: Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (difficult!) Your hearing must be superb, I envy you.

Fun time. Use a piece of rigid insulation foam panel with the shiny aluminum vapor shield.

Angle a section of the aluminized side to reflect into the solar panel and watch the fun!

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
I am a big fan of end-to-end system efficiency - from photons hitting the PV's through to the end loads (not the batteries) doing work for the user. The efficiency curve of the charge controller can be very important for example, as can the charge efficiency of the batteries, peukert losses...etc.

For test conditions for PV's I'm not a big fan of STC which is where panel watt ratings come from. I think NOC provides a little more realistic test conditions for a nominal operation temperature. I really like the new test specs coming out that deal with real world solar light spectrum and various real world conditions. In the end the efficiency of the system is the yield it gives you in the actual lighting environment you care about, including for some (but not others) kinds of shade, rain, and clarity+thickness of the atmosphere, angle of the sun hitting the PVs and more. The efficiency of systems can be a lot different in the desert vs deep woods vs an area with lots of haze or fog.

Jim

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi westend,

Thanks for the funny video link. I had heard of it--but had never seen it. I laughed til my sides hurt.

Since many folks who boondock prefer to not run a genny, it may follow that they prefer to park in the shade. From that I'd pick panels that do well in leafy shade. Portable panels are an option--but storage space always seems to be at a premium.

Tilting, unless automatic, can be a pain if the camping style is, as mine is, over night stops. So long as the number of watts needed is met, the cheapest cost per watt panel that will fit may be the best choice. That said, it is better to have too many watts than not enough.

I get great results from my Unisolar panels and have never run out of power, since I upgraded the battery bank.

Every Rv'er needs to meet there own needs, so there is not a "cookie cutter" solution.

There is a good case to be made for having dual battery banks if you plan on nearly always boondocking. That way it is still possible to do saturation charging with no other source than the sun.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
HiTech wrote:
New record of 44.4% but you have to aim these as well.

Jim

Interesting isn't it. Advances being made almost every day.
We all know that modules are more efficient when directed at the sun, but in many cases it is not practical and can be expensive to do so.
That is the main reason I am an advocate of installing the most efficient modules the budget will allow.
It becomes even more important to those of us whom fulltime and spend most of our time off grid. With the continualy increasing cost of fuel and not wanting to listen to a genny running, it makes it even more desireable to have the most efficient panels available.
They generate more power with less modules.
Require less rooftop space.
reduced installation time and less mounting materials.
Offer more long term savings.

I guess we'd all like the most power for the amount of real estate used but I can't see how that works out economically.
In a practical sense, choice of number of modules is going to be the same, i.e. if I need 425 watts, I'm going to be choosing two modules of 24v or more of 12v. My installation costs are not going to be less or more. The saving of space is minimal but may be a deal-maker for some. If I pay 3 times the amount for a module that is 21% efficient vs. 17% (standard) and am realizing total harvest difference of, say, 8% for two, it would seem more economically efficient to just add another less expensive module (if space allows) or to buy a slightly larger module.

I'm not trying to be close-minded on this but I'll need some convincing to buy the more efficient module, I can't see the practical benefit.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
HiTech wrote:

Jim

Interesting isn't it. Advances being made almost every day.
We all know that modules are more efficient when directed at the sun, but in many cases it is not practical and can be expensive to do so.
That is the main reason I am an advocate of installing the most efficient modules the budget will allow.
It becomes even more important to those of us whom fulltime and spend most of our time off grid. With the continualy increasing cost of fuel and not wanting to listen to a genny running, it makes it even more desireable to have the most efficient panels available.
They generate more power with less modules.
Require less rooftop space.
reduced installation time and less mounting materials.
Offer more long term savings.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer

Jim

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
bdosborn wrote:
Interesting but I wouldn't count on Siemens to do anything with it:

Siemens pulls the plug on solar energy

Bruce

Siemens does not own Semprius. They made an investment/speculation in the technology developed by Semprius.
It may pay dividends and may not.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That Laurel and Hardy video is a classic!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Methinks, we are just now like babies in the North woods. Hopefully they will be found by one of the RV.Net folks. The ones who care about Green Energy and silence. And, stay with the progress in PV as it comes down the highways and byways. Yes, Breakthrough in solar, and maybe "Made in the USA" We can do it RV folks:C

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting but I wouldn't count on Siemens to do anything with it:

Siemens pulls the plug on solar energy

Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build