cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon dioxide detector

Buckleup
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2013 Puma 5th wheel has an overly sensitive carbon dioxide detector. It goes off in the wee hours of the morning several times and we cannot find the reason for its sensitivity. We have moved the trash can outside and checked all gas lines etc. any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
My 1962 Cabover dint need a CO detector, neither did my 1979 Lindy Class C, nor did 1984 Itaska. So the first time it woke me up at 2 am in my 1998 Flair, I chopped the red wire to it, and it never gave me trouble again. And now I'll be dripped if the CO det in this Rexhall din't wake me up the first week I had it. Needless to say, it got the same red wire treatment. In fact its going to make a beeeeautiful place for my ebay beeeeautiful Blue LED digital readout panel mount clock,....that is on a very slow boat from china.
In reality, I'm sic and tired of people wanting to save me from myself,....what ever that means ๐Ÿ™‚
And seems like "they" decided that RVs don't need a propane sniffer anymore ?? I quess todays propane is safer than yesterdays propane,....or did they find out we're smarter than they first thought ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
By all means install another CO detector. Install in the bedroom. Check to see if both go off at same time. If it does, you have a problem. If it doesn't, you have a CO detector that needs to be replaced. I have 2 CO units just for peace of mind. The cost is minimal when you think about it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
---- happens

These things wear out. I simply do not trust a detector more than 5 years in constant service. I have two detectors in operation.

Most likely issue. They DO have a finite life. Just had to replace ours two weeks ago-- false alarms. The new one came with a warning that 5 years was IT.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check is if you are running the fridge on propane and the CO is leaking into the trailer.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
100ton wrote:
Try another CO DETECTOR and see if alerts alon with the suspect unit.
And quit squeezing the dog....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
100ton wrote:

Yep!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
---- happens

These things wear out. I simply do not trust a detector more than 5 years in constant service. I have two detectors in operation.

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
aerosol sprays will do it too.
bumpy

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a dog? Sometimes their gas (or that of humans) is enough to set it off.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Global warming.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you mean Carbon Monoxide CO detector. If it keeps going off I'd be worried about a real leak. CO levels can be measured by the local fire department. Doesn't take much like a leaky furnace heat exchanger, or water heater not venting properly.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad