cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlisle Tires

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had any history with the Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. They advertise that they are an updated trailer tire with a speed rating of 87 mph.
44 REPLIES 44

red31
Explorer
Explorer
So is the speed rating test as tough as the standard test, in a 100F chamber, ...

Any tire that passed the standard ST tire testing ought to be able to pass the speed rating test @ 85mph, in fact I believe it has passed just not formally!

Carlisle states that your trailer tires exceed DOT requirements. What do you do to exceed DOT requirements?
Trailer tires are held to the FMVSS119 standard for DOT. The endurance test under this standard is typically either 34 hours or 47 hours depending on the size of the tire. The load during the test varies from 66% up to 114% per the DOT requirement. Carlisle always extends the test after meeting the minimum endurance requirement for passing DOT by increasing the load to 130% and continuing the test. Our standard production checks are set to meet approximately twice the mileage required by DOT on the endurance wheel. We also have development standards that will exceed our standard production checks to insure that our product is robust enough so that we well exceed the DOT requirement at all times.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I am as much "Buy American" as anyone. After Word War II this country was flooded with Japanese junk, but then came products from Sony, Panasonic, Honda, and Toyota. Isn't it reasonable to expect Chinese products to improve over time as well? Or, is it simply more fun to bad mouth certain products?

You have posters on here bashing Carlisle products that literally DON'T EXIST ANYMORE!

What does that tell you?

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
jmaotto wrote:
The Discount Tire website publishes the speed rating of the Carlisle RH tire as N. N is speed rating of 87 mph. I think that is enough so that you can travel at 65 mph and not be at the maximum of the standard ST tire.

They sure do...and it sure is!

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
The Discount Tire website publishes the speed rating of the Carlisle RH tire as N. N is speed rating of 87 mph. I think that is enough so that you can travel at 65 mph and not be at the maximum of the standard ST tire.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Hypoxia-So his post is worth what some of the others are on this thread. I think you know what I am referring to!

If you think I am a troll you should go back and read my history of posts and report back please. :@
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am as much "Buy American" as anyone. After Word War II this country was flooded with Japanese junk, but then came products from Sony, Panasonic, Honda, and Toyota. Isn't it reasonable to expect Chinese products to improve over time as well? Or, is it simply more fun to bad mouth certain products?

Racefan1
Explorer
Explorer
We have been bashing ST tires of all makes and models for years on this forum. A group of RV friends (mostly fifth wheel) in our Good Sam camping group have over the last five years switched to running load range E light truck tires. We have felt that the trailers were over all more stable on the road. But the main thing is that after five years the tires are not suffering tread splitting or checking on the sidewalks. ST tires for the most part are not a dependable quality tire, such as possibly Maxxis. Peoples opinions on the use of light truck tires are varied. Has anybody else had success with these?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
I looked back and I don't see where anyone said that any tires, new or otherwise were immune to abuse. Really pretty simple, if there are fewer blowouts then the tires have improved because we have the same kind of drivers.
I was referring to the MANY other threads on the ST tires failures. In them, there is always proponents that blame it on the owners... Naturally, they have been silent here.

The owners run Carlisle/Towmax/whatever for over 6 years-then they blow because they have aged out, but in the mean time all of a sudden they have turned in to "China Bombs".

Who's fault is it the tires have aged out?

Do an advanced search of the archives. There are MANY reports 5-6 years ago and older of ST tire problems (Carlise was the major manufacturer) Those tires were new then. As usual, ST proponents are always looking for a reason to blame the owners for the problem.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jmaotto wrote:
Has anybody had any history with the Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. They advertise that they are an updated trailer tire with a speed rating of 87 mph.

Carlisle says testing was completed in late '11 so the RH may have been available in '12.
Its going to take several years and much more than the usual "I made several trips with mine and no issues" Or "they use them on bass boats" which is about all we know so far. Bass boats can weigh a whopping 2500-4500 lbs depending on length a single vs tandem axle trailer.

I like the looks of the flater RH sidewall/tread profile.
Looks more like a truck tire instead of the rounded sidewall/tread of the older "camper" tires.

Hard to predict how the RH will stand up to time and miles but looks like Carlisle may have a much needed redeemer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running the RH for 3 years with no issues. It's what the local dealer had so I went with them. With one exception, I have never had a catastrophic tire failure on any TT, boat, enclosed, or flat deck trailer that I've owned. Most of those ran Carlisles because that's what came with the trailers. Had a few flats but that's the extent of the drama I've experienced.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Before all you China bomb people trash the tires you obviously are not aware these are a new design for them. Same type of design as the so called best of the best Maxxi. I have been running them since the first year they came out.
We have done the usual local trips and vacations, went from Calgary to California, Oregon Coast trip last year as well and not a blipp.

Father in law put the same on his fifth and no issues either. I have seen good reports on other forums too so maybe back up the bad comments for a while yet. 5 or 6 years down the road may tell the tale but should be replaced by then anyways.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Sarcasm does not always come across on here.

OK!:S

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Sarcasm does not always come across on here.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Hypoxia-
He wouldn't have blown 30 without some of them causing damage to his rig-which he didn't mention.

So his post is worth what some of the others are on this thread. I think you know what I am referring to!