cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charging circuit help please

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2wd jeep commander 2006 with my tiffin phaeton. I need to add a circuit so that my battery on the jeep will charge off of the motorhome while I am towing it. I have to leave the ignition switch on when towing the jeep and that is running down the jeep battery by the time I get where I am going. I have the jeep lights running off of the motorhome( tail and turn lights) and I also have a circuit that is running the remco transsion fluid pump while towing.

What would be the easiest way to keep these batteries charged.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
5 REPLIES 5

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
1. Battery separator switch
2. Breaker on tow vehicle
3. Wire through trailer socket making SURE the negative ground circuit is STOUT
4. Breaker on towed vehicle

Will work like a charm. I recommend 8 gauge wire for this circuit.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes if you disconnect the battery the ECU may need to relearn idle, shift strategy and even your driving style.

Jim

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
I added a charging wire. Ran it from the front of the motorhome to the 7-pin trailer connector. Fused near the motorhome battery, and near the dinghy battery. I use a lighter-socket voltmeter in the dinghy so I can easily see if the power is flowing correctly.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried to disconnect the battery cable and that does keep the battery from discharging. But I am having some problems from time to time with my transmission shifting correctly. Right now it is fine and the transmission shop is telling me that by taking the power off of the computer that the computer may have to relearn my driving habits and shift points and may shift strange for 50 to 100 miles after being disconnected from power. This may or may not be happening. I thought I would add a charging circuit and try it a while and see if the transmission was happier.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnect the battery negative cable?