cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checked the batteries

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I finally remembered to check the water level in my batteries. Of course, it was well overdue. All three batteries needed a little water, especially the August 2018 battery. Is it unusual for the cells on the negative end to need more that those on the positive end? Even my two truck batteries were like that.
8 REPLIES 8

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
But dont the weaker cells have more resistance and reduced capacity regardless of how its wired? Trying to understand how being wired in parallel can automatically work something out.

Isnt the cell damage permanent? I got way into lipo batteries for awhile. Cut open packs to harvest good cells and Frankensteined them together. Ive got a fancy device to measure c-rating accurately. I thought i was starting to understand batteries and always enjoy learning more.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I keep hearing how "Mixing batteies" causes problems

Now in series yes. I mean when you put two GC-2 in series they effectively become two halves of a single 12 volt battery.. And I'd not want a 12 volt battery that was half and half.

But when put put 'em in parallel. they work it out automitically and all the The ____ battery will ____ stuff with basically one exception is bunk.

And that exception (Shorted cell WILL drag down the entire set) can happen with brand new batteies I've had it happen at 1 week.

You’ve got it backwards... Batteries connected in series have no affect on each other. One is not aware of the others condition or vice-versa. Put em in parallel and the condition of each directly affect the other. They will try to equalize.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not worried about old mixed with new. They are less than a year apart, and their use was minimal. I just happened to have the oldest one sitting, so I added it to the battery bank on a whim when I added the solar panel/charge controller. I did think about using the third battery as a back-up battery, putting an isolator in between them, but......I'm just lazy, I guess.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep hearing how "Mixing batteies" causes problems

Now in series yes. I mean when you put two GC-2 in series they effectively become two halves of a single 12 volt battery.. And I'd not want a 12 volt battery that was half and half.

But when put put 'em in parallel. they work it out automitically and all the The ____ battery will ____ stuff with basically one exception is bunk.

And that exception (Shorted cell WILL drag down the entire set) can happen with brand new batteies I've had it happen at 1 week.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrid grids and paste and envelope separators have reduced loss in engine starting batteries. Antimony has been reduced. They were virtually forced to do all this by higher and higher engine heat. Modulated regulator voltage via computer is also de rigueur

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mixing RV batteries of different ages, manufacturer and capacity is not a “best practice” IMO.

A monthly battery check, water and corrosion, seems easy to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
You don't see batteries that have to be watered in trucks too much.. 🙂

These are 4 years old, and still have tons of power to fire up the 'ol 7.3 PSD. I didn't realize they were that old.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't see batteries that have to be watered in trucks too much.. 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman