cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning air conditioner coils

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I remember reading about spraying something on coils before hosing down for cleaning and can not remember what. Any ideas thanks.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
14 REPLIES 14

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I would use the coil cleaner but my AC guy also said Simple Green is good.

Never ever use regular simple green on aluminum. There is a simple green extreme I think is the name that is approved for aircraft aluminum. Whatever you use don't flatten the fins.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Simple Green Extreme is recommended for aluminum based coils.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks all.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
dom101 wrote:
You can just use warm water or even cold water if you don't have warm. Mostly you are just dissolving dirt. 38 years Refrigeration mechanic

People always want to make a task harder to accomplish and then rely on some 'miracle cleaner'. Been using water (garden hose_ and compressed air for the stubborn stuff the years.

Aqua Regia works the best. Cheapest too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple Green makes an AC friendly cleaner.

The manufacturer recommends 409 so thatโ€™s what I used.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dom101
Explorer
Explorer
You can just use warm water or even cold water if you don't have warm. Mostly you are just dissolving dirt. 38 years Refrigeration mechanic

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Simple Green is caustic based. The Air Force used for a while, long ago, no, but stopped when they saw the damage to aircraft aluminum alloy and plain aluminum, titanium etc.
Don't use the Purple Cleaner either nor on your graphic and paint. Place in Deming New Mexico did after me telling them not to and it ruined the plated parts of the Roadmaster tow bar and washed the white graphics right off. It says to use to clean grease etc off concrete floors etc. The reason is caustic cleaners work well on grease but will damage concrete too.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use compressed air and a garden hose myself.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coil cleaner is not cheap. 409 and elbow grease. I used a $1 throw away paint brush cut off half and a hose with a sprayer on it. Plastic on the floor and towels around the sides. Spray, brush, rinse. Repeat as necessary.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, make sure to get a commercial cleaner (most any box store) that specifically mentions EVAPORATOR CLEANER. It can be used on both the evaporator and condenser fins.

And, it is non-toxic to humans (since it is formulated to be used on home A/C evaporators where the fumes will also enter the living space.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
non acidic coil cleaner.

Pay close attention to what Chris said......
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using this. I get it at Lowe's
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Coleman recommends Formula 409, but you can buy non acidic coil cleaner at Loweโ€™s and Home Depot.
-- Chris Bryant