cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confused about different Tireminder systems

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to start Rv'ng in a few weeks. Decided it would be a good idea to get a tire pressure monitoring system. Pretty sure we're going with the Tireminder system. I'm just a little confused about the different systems. What are the major difference between the A1A, TMG400C and the TM66 kits? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Bruce and Connie
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie
11 REPLIES 11

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just like another member reported, I had no idea about inner flat tire till trooper pull me over and told me.
TPMS become mandatory on new cars few years ago as they prevent lot of accidents.
Sure they can create their own problems, but when I drove 8 wheels coach, the system work fine once I observe installation on cold tires.
Sure the system will not prevent blow on trailer tires, but at least you will know the blow happens, when I drove with flat on my toad for who knows how long before fellow driver flagged me.
I think the best setup for duallies is tire pressure equalizing system like CrossFire and TPMS on top of it.

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. We went with the TST 507 flowthru's. Just got them in the other day. Now, I have a couple of other questions. Actually it's three.
What is the variance you use between your low and high PSI? My tires are "E" rating at 80psi. Would I use a 10% variance?
I have seen some talk(I think mostly about the tire minder system) about having to have brass valve stems because of the weight of the sensors. What about the 507's? Hopefully, I don't need to change my valve stems.
Last question...the high temp is preset at 158 degrees. I think that the TST is normally for semi's. Would the temp rating be the same for RV tires?
Ok, that's all. Any help would again be appreciated.

Connie and Bruce
the Lost Travellers ( or it it one "L"?)
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
You really should ask a Trucking Company that runs a fleet of vehicles what they think is the Best system if any!

Several Tire Dealers that I have spoken with think that they are problematic and a waste of money.

Most of the products that I see advertised for use on or by RV owners are rarely marketed to Commercial Users, which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worth buying!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

mikeminder
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce and Connie,

The main differences between the TireMinder TM66 and the A1A are the A1A has a 40% larger screen (slightly more than an inch larger), a dedicated ON/OFF button and mode indicators. Also, the TM66 is exclusive to Camping World.

Besides those differences the TM66 and A1A have nearly identical software.

As for our TMG400C, it has been retired since the beginning of 2015.

For a detailed comparison chart, please click here: TireMinder A1A, TM66 and TMG400C Comparison Chart.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM or give us a call.

Best Regards,
Mike
And The Minder Team

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I finished a 1,000 mile trip back in 2011. When I got home, I had one of my dually rear tires with 0 air pressure. Had a nail in it. Tire was inflated when leaving.

Before the next trip, I had a tire pressure monitoring system. I have no idea when I picked up the nail. I may have only driven 1 mile with a flat tire. I may have driven 999 miles. No way to tell.

Fast forward to 2015. My tire pressure monitoring system alarmed about 5 miles from home returning from a 100 mile trip. Said tire was hot. I had a dragging brake and the wheel was smoking. May have saved me from an RV fire.

I will keep my tire pressure monitoring system.

I have the TST 507.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
We use the TST 507 system and it works well, although we haven't had any failures. The TST system also monitors tire temperature which may indicate a pending blowout or tread separation.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bruce & Connie

We are satisfied TST 507 Flow Thru users on our second system. We gave the original unit to our daughter and it is still in use. The 507 model was not available when we first bought. The system has saved us several times.(Bad set of MAXXIS tires)
It is true that a monitor will not alert you to a tread separation or casing blowout but these events are not always instantaneous as in the case of the MAXXIS Bravos the steel belts failed and started to separate and leak air due to steel cord penetration. So we caught it before catastrophe.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have blown three trailer tires in 12 years and they where either total belt separation (no loss of air) or complete blowout from a separation.

I'm thinking no system would have picked them up. Now you add the cost of the a system and the occasional problems with sending units themselves, leaks, valve stem breakage and I'm not so sure there worthit.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Been fighting TPMS systems for the last year. Just get a good tire gauge and check before you move the camper.

That works great if you find a problem in the rv park, but what about if you pick up a nail on the way out of that park? A monitoring system when working will alert you hopefully before you ruin a tire. I'm a believer in the TST system.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Been fighting TPMS systems for the last year. Just get a good tire gauge and check before you move the camper.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I would call them and ask. They have great customer support. link: Minder Research
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300