cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
Elixir power converter is screaming like a banshee, 12 volt alarm I think. Checked it out,still getting 12 volt output from converter.
If cut the 115 volt breaker off for the 12 volt system and just use voltage from the battery there is no screaming noise.
Any ideas short of replacing the converter? I really don't have time for that,supposed to be leaving out Friday am.
14 REPLIES 14

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmwaterboy wrote:
No one will probably see this but someone asked.
As a replacement I am going with a Power Max 55 amp power supply and a Blue Sea 12 volt fuse block and lastly a Bayite power meter.
All from Amazon.

Good choice! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
No one will probably see this but someone asked.
As a replacement I am going with a Power Max 55 amp power supply and a Blue Sea 12 volt fuse block and lastly a Bayite power meter.
All from Amazon.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, the World wants to know, what exact converter did you order?

And why that one, if you have time? (So we can second-guess your choice of course! ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Photo in Profile

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Have a new converter on the way. May not be leaving Friday after all.Gotta keep a eye on where Dorian is headed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding the power distribution center

I do like the concept of the PD center and converter being independent. I had to replace my Progressive Dynamics 9180 (with wizard but I re-used him) and it was not even a 20 minute job.> Remove 3 screws. Disconnect ground. Remove unit (Unplug first mine is a plug in) disconnect and protect two big heavy wires. Haul 17 miles to Marshall from where I was parked (ok that part took more than 20 mintues) set on desk, get new one, take old one out so I can de-engineer and fix later (have yet to get round to) take new one out and back to Truck stop. hook up two wires. Plug in and go.. In the snow.. To a place where the snow did not go.. I put in the mounting screws and re-connected the chassis ground later.

Took almost as long to type as it did to do.

Learned much in the progress.

As for power distribution panels.. 120 volt. whatever floats your desire.

12 volt (mine are independent of each other) Progressive Dynamics (makes both independent and combined and integrated by the way) have lovely little Red LED's that light if you pop a fuse.. Handy to help find the popp-a-matic fuse.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my ELIXIR 30A on my new 2008 Starcraft RT14 Popup righ after I got it with the WFCO 8900 Series Power Distrbution panel but use a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C Converter/Charger unit in place of the WF8945 unit that came with the panel... This gives me 1 Large spot for the main 120VAC Breaker and 8 half slots for smaller 120VAC breakers. It also give me eleven 12vDC Fuse positions and two REVERSE POLARITY fuses.

All of this supports my larger battery bank and has worked very well for me since late 2008...

It was not a big job effort changing out the ELIXIR unit as most all of the wiring was already in place. I did have to make to Converter Hole larger to fit the WF8900 series Power Distribution unit... Of course some of the wiring was not long enough and had to change out a couple of runs on both the 120VAc and 12VDC sides...

Now it looks like these photos from Google images... All of the RATS NEST wiring behind the ELIXIR 30A unit is all neat now. No more large yellow twist connectors holding every thing together..

I abandoned the WF-8945 Convert/charger unit in place and mounted my PD9260C Converter/charger stand alone on the inside of a cabinet wall closer to my batteries bank... I can use either converter/charger by turning ON-OFF the circuit breaker for converter I want to use. Good back up I guess... The PD9260C unit would work in place of the WF8945 unit โ€ฆ I just hated to throw out sometime brand new haha Might be a plan B item for me later on...

A good move on my part...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive Dynamics 92xx is in order (XX is the amprage of the converter try to match existing unless you have upgraded batteries).

You won't find a better one. may find one or two as good but you won't find a better one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do yourself and your battery a favor and move up to a modern multistage converter.
Just stay away from WFCO.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It might be the fan bearings as well.
Jerry parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The Elixir has a piezo low voltage alarm. Sometimes it can sound under a very heavy load but if doing it in normal operation, you need a new converter.

BTW Elixir stopped producing converters in 2009 or 2010, they are still available on eBay but I wouldn't waste my money.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is this a converter (AC -> DC) or an inverter (DC -> AC)?

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
Converter is putting out 13.4 volts.Everything that runs on 12 volts works as it should.It's just making that horrible noise.
Guess I'll have to get by on the battery for my trip.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.bestconverter.com/Elixir-Replacement-Converter_c_76.html
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
12.0 volts is shot. I think you need closer to 13.6 volts.