cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter

mclaned1
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new converter. Mine has overheated and the fan is not working. I currently have WFCO 35 AMP WF-8835. I am looking to replace it with something better. Looking at the Progressive Dynamics PD9245C. There are a lot of different brands (PD, Iota, Powermax, ect). Looked at BestConverter.com and there are a lot of choices. Some boondocking charged with a 2000w generation, single group 27 deep cycle battery wet cell (going to switch to 6volt next year). About 15ft from converter to battery. No solar anytime soon. Must be a deck mount.
Which brand is the best?
Will a 45AMP converter work?
Is the remote pendent worth it?

Thank You
15 REPLIES 15

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Get the pendant for sure. The PDs don't always start up in bulk mode.
The pendant tells you what mode its in, and allows you to shift to any mode.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent choice. Shop around, mine came with the pendent included. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 the water for the batteries.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Less than a minute when using a PD.

smkettner wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
6 cells of discharged GC-220's will eat 80-amps charge rate so fast, It's make your head swim.
For how long? Full hour? Assuming 14.4 volts.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to pick a time you are happy to run the generator each day while camping. Then you can pick a charger and battery set-up that will meet that time.

You might not have the choice of times. Some state and provincial parks have limited "generator hours" so that sets the time. Outside of those times you must have an inverter to run any 120v items you want like microwave, toaster, kettle, TV/DVD, etc. You can do a 50-90 on two 6s in about two hours with a 70 amp charger.

So let's say you have two 6s, which can take about 80amps charging at 50% SOC, and you have a 2000w generator. It turns out you will need a power-factor corrected 75 amper or above to run on the 2000w (1600VA) gen, so that means a 60 amp non- PF or a 75 PF converter.

Everybody makes a 60 amp non- PF so wide open there. A 75 or above means a PowerMax. However the time it takes to do a "50-90", which is all you do while off grid (the 90-100 takes too long to dom on generator), is only 10 or 15 minutes longer using a 60 amper instead of an 80 amper on two 6s.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
6 cells of discharged GC-220's will eat 80-amps charge rate so fast, It's make your head swim.
For how long? Full hour? Assuming 14.4 volts.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than a whole converter case and all like the 9200 series Progressive Dynamics makes a line of converters designed to replace the electronics in your WFCO integrated converter/distribution panel. A few dollars cheaper and they work the same as the 9200. I highly recommend.

Google Randy best converters.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't checked prices. How much more expensive is a 75-ap converter than a 45 amp? My formula goes like this...

How much more in gallons of generator gasoline is a 75 amp converter?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Does the 8835 not go into boost mode (14.4v)? Or what are you looking to improve?

9245 is fine even with the 2x GC2. No need for the pendent unless you must have a blinky thing to fiddle with. Can be added later as needed.

If you get a 9260+ you should also plan on pulling #4 wire to the battery.

MrWizard
moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The PD and IOTA series converters works like a charm going into SMART MODE when you want them too. I use the PD9260C here for three 12V batteries... Takes care of them automatically even though I continue to watch the fluid levels...

I went to the WFCO Power Distribution setup from the OEM ELIXIR 30AMP model single mode converter which was a big move for me since I had to re-wire all of the 120VAC and 12VDC circuits to circuit breakers and fuses. That part went great with the WF8900 series Power Distriution Panel unit. Then I found out the WF8945 converter would never go into BULK mode no matter what I tried so replaced just the converter part to a PD9260C. I was adding more batteries anyway and needed more available DC Current... So now I have the WFCO WF8900 series power distribution chassis with a PD9260C working with it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Jpatrickc
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I replaced my old Magnetek converter with a PD9260, and also replaced the #8 wire between the converter and battery with #4. Since you are planning to switch to 2 6v next year, I think you would be better off with more than a 45 Amp converter.

I agree with both suggestions. When you said it was 15 ft. to the battery I wondered if the wire was heavy enough.
Patrick Campbell
State College, PA
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3
2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab LBZ Dually

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my old Magnetek converter with a PD9260, and also replaced the #8 wire between the converter and battery with #4. Since you are planning to switch to 2 6v next year, I think you would be better off with more than a 45 Amp converter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have made a good choice with the Progressive Dynamics PD9245,it is a plug and play setup,very easy install.

I replaced my old WFCO with this one and haven't had a bit of trouble,the wizard is nice to have and it now comes standard. I did find that E Bay has the better price with free shipping.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C