cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cpap

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone run a Cpap off an inverter? I have two 6 volt batteries on the coach. Will I be able to run the Cpap all night on fully charged batteries?

Thanks

โš Did you see "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related
    questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds
    to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

22 REPLIES 22

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Philips Respironic DreamStation is 12v, and like I posted above, the 12v cord was $35 delivered.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Devilbiss Cpap 12v cord less than $30from Devilbiss. Runs for 2 nites off group 27 battery w/o humidifier.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
The trick to battery life is to keep usage down; and when usage is needed, use it efficiently. The DC to inverter to AC to CPAP adapter to DC to CPAP has losses all along the path. I keep the efficiency higher by cutting out the inverter and adapter. But, you'll need a pap that will run on 12 VDC. Respironics and Zpap are two I know.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:
Does anyone run a Cpap off an inverter? I have two 6 volt batteries on the coach. Will I be able to run the Cpap all night on fully charged batteries?

We run my wife's CPAP all night off of 240 ah batteries all night with power to spare. We typically run the furnace too in colder climates, no problems.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
roadrat57 wrote:
Thanks to the caring people that responded with useful info. To those other useless people with ignorant, uneducated responses...f.u!

Now, I wonder which group I am in. I didn't directly answer the question, but provided information about a different solution, not involving an inverter. I will be crushed if my information is not "useful info."
Bobbo and Lin

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:
Thanks to the caring people that responded with useful info. To those other useless people with ignorant, uneducated responses...f.u!

Well......THIS is pretty much the only "ignorant and uneducated" response that I've seen in the whole thread.

The answers that come back are not always exactly what you want to hear.....but they ALL have some value.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 six volt AGM batteries (220 amp hrs) in our truck camper. Also 200 watts solar. I use a VPAP and my wife has a CPAP. We run them both every night with a 300 watt inverter (humidifiers off) We can boondock indefinitely watching a movie every night as long as we don't need to use the furnace and we have sunny days. In cool or cloudy weather we need to be traveling every 3rd day to recharge the batteries. We use a Trimetric to insure the batteries never go below 50%. We don't have a generator and don't want one.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Some machines have heater throttles. There is a large difference between 1 and 5. A sixty degree environment is rather different than a forty degree environment.

So all-inclusive conclusions sans caveats may be questionable.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Group 27 12V batteries hooked up in parallel that are dedicated to CPAP use. I can get 4-5 nights of usage running off an inverter WITH the heated humidifier in use. This has worked for over 10 years for me. The batteries are also hooked up to a 3.5A Smart Charger so if I am running the generator it will help to recharge the batteries(or at home between trips hooked up to shore power).
The OP should have no problem with what he has stipulated in his question to the forum.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawrosa wrote:
It would be more efficient if you got the 12v adapter and plug it directly to 12 volts. But those cords are expensive.

$119 bucks for mine.. And I would have to install a 12 volt outlet near the bed.

This is exactly what I did. I installed a 12v outlet/USB port by my bed. (See my thread What was Airstream thinking (part 2)?.

My 12v power cord was $35.00 delivered.

Bobbo and Lin

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dennis1 wrote:
Why not just run on 12volts?

Because MOST CPAP machines are not designed to do that.

Yes, you should be fine.....as long as you leave the "humidifier" turned off or set at minimum.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Reality 101,

INSULATION

Cold nights up north. Humidifier set on MAX

Reynold's wrap around humidifier reservoir. Then felt around the reservoir side of the machine. Run regular tubing beneath bed covers.

Uses twice the amount of water in the reservoir. Zero condensation on hose. Much more comfortable beneath full face mask and

13 / 8.6 the reduction in amp hours for 9 hours. I have no sleep intervals. Mask on in case I fall asleep.

In my medical hideout in Northern Mexico at the moment. Temps outside my blankets have dropped to as low as 41F

Tattletale disc shows temp on outside of reservoir heater stayed in the 80's.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
My c pap used 50 watts with humidifier and heated tube.

Running it through an inverters equates to 4.2 amps or so. Plus at least 10-15% losses through inverter you may be looking at 6 amps.

Thats about 50 amps for a 8 hour sleep.

And what else may be running in the camper?

If you had two 12 volt 75ah batts thats 150 ah. But usable is 50%. Thats 75ah. You would have to make sure batts are 100% charged because by morning you will be close to 50% discharge..

Now the issue is to get those batts 100% for the next night... Not going to happen. You may get batts to 90% if you have good charging capabilities.

With all this said, youll be a head of the game if as stated you do not use the humidifier and heated tube.

My unit runs a mere <5 watts with no humidifier or tubing on. That's about .4 amps. With inverter losses not even 1 amp.

So now in 8 hours you will not even use 8 amps from the battery...

It would be more efficient if you got the 12v adapter and plug it directly to 12 volts. But those cords are expensive.

$119 bucks for mine.. And I would have to install a 12 volt outlet near the bed.

Just a note.. My inverter is a 1000 w model and run with 2 gauge wire.

a 400 watt inverter can draw 35 amps or so.

You need to use #6 wire for up to 10ft away from batteries.#4 is 15 feet, #2 if 20 ft. That will give you a 3% voltage drop across the wire

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh