cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which dehumidifier do you use?

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all: we have a 30' class C motorhome that's been stored all winter under a cover. It's gotten quite damp inside despite no leaks and several Dry-Z-Air desiccant containers spread around, so it's evident we need a dehumidifier.
Which ones would you recommend? How large/small? Floor or table-top?
I see that with some you can run a drain hose to the outside or to your gray water tanks.
Any feedback appreciated...thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m in SoCal and I use two Damprid units in the coach October through May, and they are expended by that time. From June to October Iโ€™m traveling the country spending most of the summer on the east coast. During that time Iโ€™ll go through 6 units.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 27' T/T and live on the Oregon coast so its damp to say the least. I stored our T/T under a carport for the winter and it started to show signs of dampness. I tried a heater, all that did was to cause the damp warm air to condense on the windows and vents and sometimes on the ceiling. we then bought a dehumidifier, an IVATION from Amazon its small and runs on 12v with a converter 110 to 12v. for storage its the best way to go and this one works excilent. just plug it in and close all windows and vents, I open all the cabinet doors and refer and your good to go. it doesn't have a drain but if you dump every 2 weeks or so its good, you could also very easily put a drain on it. our T/T is perfectly dry inside and smells nice and fresh. check it out on Amazon or Google.
Jay D.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Check the temperature rating of whatever unit you choose. Most are intended for heated spaces.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I live in NW and occasionally run a heater if things get too moist. You likely already own an electric heater and can attach that to a timer.
Kevin

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
get a compressor driven dehumidifier. while there are a bazillion brands of them, they are ALL made by only a couple of mfg. Heir is one major mfg.

So, shop around and just pick up one with the price, features and size you want.

the compressor ones (basically an AC unit) will pull upwards of 5 gallons of water out of the air/day if needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I forget size but we're happy with one we got from Ace hardware. Flat top so toss stuff on top of it books, drinks, etc I keep it beside chair. But small enough that I can put in sink. Picked up 2 of these (link below) to make sure moisture levels are OK. Such as in closets or way up front. Ours has a threaded plastic port I attach a hose to and drain outside when we had RV storage/campspot away from house. At house I drain and check RV once a week. But when you first start using dehumidifier it takes awhile to get RV's dry'd out, you'll be surprised how much water you get out of it first couple times. Actual dehumidifier has gauge, but little ones make sure entire RV is good. All my drawers, cabinets cracked, so no trapped air.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004167OY4/ref=asc_df_B004167OY45418653/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&cre...

available from cigarland in Georgetown (Seattle) or order online. Always within 1 or 2 % from national weather service. I strive for mid 50's.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may find that a simple electric heater is all that is needed in a storage situation. Get a humidistat and try a heater.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I've got a 25 gallon per day Frigidare I bought at Lowe's a few years ago. I'm going to add a drain tube to connect to that will penetrate the floor next to the low point drains for summer time storage use only The end of the tube under the trailer could ice up in extremely cold weather causing the flow to stop. For winter use I put the humidifier in the bathroom and run the hose into the tub. You might need to slightly elevate the humidifier to make sure the water runs into the tub. I open the gray tank valve to let it drain so the tub doesn't eventually overflow. It doesn't stay cold enough long enough for the grey water tank drain pipe to freeze up so the tank and tube don't fill up.

I'll cast another vote for the compressor dehumidifier ... I originally started with a 20 pint model, and it did nothing to combat my sweaty body and a wet dog after hiking around in the summer heat lakeside, or snow covered trails in the winter. Upgraded to a 90 pint model and it works great.

Get the biggest one you can find that fits somewhere convenient.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things can get wet in the "Nortwest". I kept mine heated. That's a pretty good de-condensationer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 25 gallon per day Frigidare I bought at Lowe's a few years ago. I'm going to add a drain tube to connect to that will penetrate the floor next to the low point drains for summer time storage use only The end of the tube under the trailer could ice up in extremely cold weather causing the flow to stop. For winter use I put the humidifier in the bathroom and run the hose into the tub. You might need to slightly elevate the humidifier to make sure the water runs into the tub. I open the gray tank valve to let it drain so the tub doesn't eventually overflow. It doesn't stay cold enough long enough for the grey water tank drain pipe to freeze up so the tank and tube don't fill up.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all, don't bother with the Eva-Dry dehumidifiers. Those are Peltier based, and get tablespoons of water out of the air, pretty much worthless.

Get yourself a compressor based dehumidifier that pulls pints out of the air, route the drain to the sink or bathtub, crack open the gray water valve and put a screen over it (so insects and critters don't go in), and call it done.