cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash AC

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. No matter what I turn my control to, the air blows out the defrost vents and floor vents. I looked inside the front compartment but didnโ€™t find any vacuum tubes. Any advice?
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never heard of low coolant (it's not Freon folks)
I have seen loss of vacuum. And that is what it does.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I had a vacuum leak issue I hooked up my vacuum pump at the vacuum source, intake manifold or vacuum pump whatever the vehicle has, and start chasing down the leak. I pinched off vacuum lines until I found the branch that was leaking. Once I got to the leak, it was actually audible. That leak turned out to be in a rubber line under the battery box. Some corrosive crust was falling down on the hose and it turned it crispy and ate a hole in it. Expect anything!. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Iโ€™m still trying to find something, but so far the lines look intact. I havenโ€™t give up.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
The F53 chassis has no vacuum system. the chassis makers have to add one to operate the heating/ac dash vent system. This system consists of a small 12v vacuum pump and a small vacuum tank and associated vacuum hoses that go to the dash controls.
If there is no vacuum the default vent path is through the defrosters.
Check all these vacuum lines around the pump and tank, usually under the hood in front.
I beg to differ. The F53 absolutely uses manifold vacuum to operate the dampers for the air conditioner/heater. There's a small ball vacuum chamber to store the vacuum while the engine is under a heavy load and manifold vacuum isn't available. There's a check valve to prevent the chamber from loosing the vacuum. It could be a broken/cracked vacuum line or bad diaphragm in one of the damper motors. Keep looking for those vacuum lines.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
garym114 wrote:
The F53 chassis has no vacuum system. the chassis makers have to add one to operate the heating/ac dash vent system. This system consists of a small 12v vacuum pump and a small vacuum tank and associated vacuum hoses that go to the dash controls.
Check all these vacuum lines around the pump and tank, usually under the hood in front.

You are correct for newer model F53. But the OP is 18 years old and back then they did use engine Vacuum to operate the blend doors. They went to a 12 volt Pump to stop the lack of Vacuum when under heavy throttle causing the Vacuum to go to zero and having the air come out the defrost ducts until vacuum was restored. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Not sure with the F53, but with some vehicles low Freon in the AC system will also cause a default to the def and floor. Is the air coming out as cold as you would expect for the AC? If not a recharge may cure the problem.

On Motorhomes, Low Freon will NEVER cause a default on the air discharge on the Dash Controls. Motorhome Dash Controls on older motorhomes(The OP 2002) are controlled by Vacumm either from the Gas engine or a Vacumm 12 volt pump on Diesel engines. Newer Motorhomes have Electric servo motor controlled Dash door activation. Doug

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
betting cracked or broken vacuum hose
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure with the F53, but with some vehicles low Freon in the AC system will also cause a default to the def and floor. Is the air coming out as cold as you would expect for the AC? If not a recharge may cure the problem.

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the age of the coach my bet is you need to replace the vacuum lines. That is what fixed my 2003 Dolphin on a Workhorse W22. The Evcon Dash air uses vacuum lines and when there is a leak, the default is to defrost.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
F53

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer