cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV - What Equipment Do I Need

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the amount of time we travel, we want to cut the cable. We rarely want TV while camping, but we are missing our MSU Spartans, and Red Wing fixes. We want to sign up with Direct TV. Before we do thought it would be a good idea to find out what I really need and do not need. Our PW came with Visio TV and Blue Ray player. We will not be watching TV while going down the road. Thanks for you thoughts,
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel
26 REPLIES 26

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We got our oval dish from the top of a neighbor's house when the tenants moved out. The owner called DirecTV and they said for $100, they would come and remove it! He had another kid climb up and take it off his roof. We gave the kid $25 for the removal and now we have an extra oval antenna that lives in our RV.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
robogobucks wrote:
Hi all this was very informative, but I am tech illiterate, So after I get the equipment, I have Direct at home, how do you run it into the TV's in the RV in order for it to work. I believe the RV was prep for Wingard satellite it is a 2003 Newmar

see this pic of one design that supports over the air antenna, park cable or DTV to all televisions

you need wire from the antenna, whether it is on the roof, or hanging from your ladder, or sitting on a tripod.

this shows genie level dvr (HR34/C31).. but functionally the same with the next level down (HR24, and receiver H24).
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
robogobucks wrote:
Hi all this was very informative, but I am tech illiterate,
LOL.. you're not the OP. You get lost?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
A. On the road do we receive the same package of stations (minus local)?
B. The Winegard G2 sounds great, but a little on the pricey side, is it really worth it?
C. If we have the Jeanie at home, can we still buy a SD DirecTV box from someone other than Dirct TV?
D. What makes the SD DirecTV box work, is there some type of control card?
E. Do I simple connect the Winegard cable to the PW outside cable connection?

1. Yes, you will receive the same stations
2. Just buy the SD box from SolidSignals.com or Amazon and tell DirecTV that you're hooking up the additional receiver in a bedroom or whatever. This way, they will only charge you $6.50/mo for the additional receiver - they really couldn't care less where you locate the receiver..
3. The SD boxes work the same as other DirecTV's units, there is a "card" located in the box (removable by you)
4. You would connect the Winegard to 12v power (or a 110v to 12v adapter) then hook the dish itself into the "satellite in" receptacle on your RV using a 50' RG-6 cable (that comes w/ the sat dish)
Then you hook your new receiver to the TV and to the inside receptacle.

With the Winegard G2, you can watch from 2 televisions in your RV, if you have 2 TV's. The G2 is set up for the extra receiver.

Yes, Winegard is worth every penny. Just set it outside and plug in and you'll be ready to go within a few minutes. You don't want to have to "point" a satellite dish - it's a HUGE PITA! Plus they can blow over, etc

The Winegard G2 Dish is also compatible with Dish HD and Bell (in Canada) so you're not tied down to DirecTV if you ever want/need to switch. Just remove the cover and flip a switch!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
robogobucks wrote:
Hi all this was very informative, but I am tech illiterate, So after I get the equipment, I have Direct at home, how do you run it into the TV's in the RV in order for it to work. I believe the RV was prep for Wingard satellite it is a 2003 Newmar
There is no simple answer to your question because there are so many different receivers and dish antennas.

So you have to learn enough to know how to buy/use/setup your RV to use the same receiver. For years I had compatible equipment but had to change the receiver setup when the receiver was moved. Today my dish and receiver are 100% compatible. The TV is not the same but both have a HDMI cable connection and the receiver says resolution adjusted...

There is another option - Hold up your credit card to make the adjustments or purchase whatever is required for compatibility.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
... oops, pushed wrong button to edit, removed dup

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
redwingfans wrote:
sdetweil thanks for keeping the conversation going, it sure help to clarify things. As for what package I will get, I live in the mid-Michigan area so the Red Wings and Spartans are broadcast regionally, and are included in the Ultimate Package (Fox Sports Detroit, NBC Sports Network, Big Ten Network, NHL and many of the ESPN channels) I would be willing to get the entire sports package, but do not watch enough sports to make it worthwhile, if needed I could pick it up month by month. Thanks again sdetweil

I only asked, cause some of those may be HD only.. which could make you decide on antenna. the reasonable priced portables, G2 as well are SD only. And they won't let you do JUST those channels.. have to drag in some other channel sets too.. We've got all that at home.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
redwingfans wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
Get a DirecTV package
Get a SD DirecTV box (at Amazon or SolidSignals, etc)
Get a Winegard G2 portable satellite dish

You are totally automatic then. No "dish pointing" and the G2 is state of the art!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I now have a clearer idea of my needs and wants, but still have a couple of questions.
1. Need to be able torecord at home while we are away.
2. Would prefer to have the wireless Jeanie at home.
3. High def on the road would be nice, but not required.

Now the questions,
B. The Winegard G2 sounds great, but a little on the pricey side, is it really worth it?
C. If we have the Jeanie at home, can we still buy a SD DirecTV box from someone other than Dirct TV?

Thanks Again,

so there are a few choices.. I am stuck in the same spot right now

I talked to DTV about my options today

they have two official plans

1. the 'seasonal' account (also called Mobile on their website)

this gives you ONE location operating at a time, RV or home,
and they toggle you back and forth.. but while in RV, can't record at home. (we want to do that too)
but whatever package you have is 100% available in each location,
RV or home.

2. Multiple accounts..
one for home, one for RV, 2 yr commitments on each, and you cannot 'turn off' one, cause you have a 2 yr monthly commitment.

--------
a) yes

then there is the way some of us do it.. take some of the home equipment with you, on your home account, but don't tell DTV.

I have the Genie and 2 wired clients (C41's), total 3 TVs. C41's only work with Genie. (shame, as they are nice and small)
c)
I will buy a HR24 HD DVR and 2-H24 receivers, previously owned.
have to check each device ID before buying. Leased equipment (2 yr commitment) has to be returned.. you don't own it.
I called and checked on three units today.. 2 were ok, one was in the middle of being on the third account and the current account was in collections..
stay away from that stuff!.. I lost those ebay auctions, but there will be more.

d)
for each device you will need a $20 access card (can't get on the DTV network without one), and $6.50/month per device for the software downloaded into the receivers)

then I will get another dish, and near term the tripod. (I'm not spending $1200 for an antenna yet).. and won't accept SD.
(we've got a 70in HD TV at home, and are not dropping to 42 AND SD!)

e) no
great pic here on setup with DTV, RV, multiple receivers.

DTV offered to give me the HR24 and 1-H24 for free today, for a new 2yr contract (on my home account).. but wanted another hard credit check?
We've been a customer for 7yrs, with all the packages, never missed a payment, and you need to HARD credit check me AGAIN?.. I'll pass on that.

If you are starting new, get them to install the RV too as part of the new account. still pay the $6.50. the more free the less $20 access cards to buy. but you can't not pay for 2 yrs. ($156 over the 2 yrs/device)

I'd take the genie and remotes with us, but DW wants to record stuff while we are gone.

winegard antenna, auto locate.. sounds wonderful..

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil thanks for keeping the conversation going, it sure help to clarify things. As for what package I will get, I live in the mid-Michigan area so the Red Wings and Spartans are broadcast regionally, and are included in the Ultimate Package (Fox Sports Detroit, NBC Sports Network, Big Ten Network, NHL and many of the ESPN channels) I would be willing to get the entire sports package, but do not watch enough sports to make it worthwhile, if needed I could pick it up month by month. Thanks again sdetweil
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Hi def. for me, SD is like listening to AM radio ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Get a DirecTV package
Get a SD DirecTV box (at Amazon or SolidSignals, etc)
Get a Winegard G2 portable satellite dish

You are totally automatic then. No "dish pointing" and the G2 is state of the art!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I now have a clearer idea of my needs and wants, but still have a couple of questions.
1. Need to be able torecord at home while we are away.
2. Would prefer to have the wireless Jeanie at home.
3. High def on the road would be nice, but not required.

Now the questions,

Thanks Again,
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
sdetweil wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Then get the genie and wireless slaves you need for all your TV'S at home and take the genie and needed slaves for your rv. Then you only need to setup the rv antenna system.

we have the genie and the non-wireless slaves already.. DW wants to leave the genie at home, to record other stuff for later.

so far can't have two genie's on one account.
I had both the HR24 and HR44 for one month, kept the HR44 and could have kept the HR24. That may/may not fit your need.

Be very careful about the wireless Genie including the slaves and read the installation instructions very carefully. My take is that the distance restrictions make it difficult to use in a RV and especially if you have other WiFi in the rig. Homes typically are much larger with more equipment location options.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I use the winegard carryout satellite setup. I made an adapter plate and use that with a satellite dish tri pod to set the carryout up on. Take a direct TV box from home with you on the road. This will work any place you setup. Go to the hardware store and get some 10-12" spikes (large nails) and drive them through the holes in the tri pod feet to keep it stable in the winds and you are in business. The Carryout will do the rest. Works great and I have never failed to get reception. Even in heavily wooded areas. With the tri pod mount you can move the setup around to try different paths thru trees or other obstructions to get your TV.
jwmII